Brewer Fanatic

2017 Brewers Optimism Thread!

torts
  • Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Cubs are really playing up the "first Friday night game in Cubs history" story. I did not realize until I read it that they broke such a tradition to give them a competitive advantage this season.

They are now 0 -2 in games where they schemed to change the schedule in their favor. Cheater's proof!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Brewers entered the Colorado Rockies series on August 18th with a 12-24 record against playoff teams (as they are now). They have since went 9-3 against those opponent with a chance at making it win #10 today and pulling themselves within 2 games of the division (and hopefully 2 games of the WC- come on LA). This is a 21-27 record overall with a chance to get that closer to .500 if they want in the playoffs.

I bring this up because sometimes in the game thread we talk about how this team doesn't have any fight. While that might be true when we are talking about come back wins, it can't be said overall as this team has went through injury after injury and tough stretch after tough stretch and yet continues to fight and claw their way into contention. No matter how this season does finish itself, what an effort by this team to make it even close. What a treat it would be to see them force a 1-game playoff with either Colorado or Chicago to get in the playoffs.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I BREWLIEVE IN THIS TEAM!!! BRING OUT THE BROOMS BABY, LETS DO THIS!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Nelson's injury is just going to add more drama to the 2017 Brewer season DVD. It's like the moment in a cop movie where the partner dies...then the hero enters act III and kicks everyone's butt.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

They got the sweep! Baseball is such an up and down game. They get swept by the worst team in the division then go out and sweep the WS Champs who lead the division. The Crew had a great weekend and the fans are happy again.

This team keep their heads on straight, and they don't fold. That was just a great series. Whatever else happens the rest of the season, that sweep is something to build on.

Also, the pitching is just ridiculous. Holding the Cubs to three runs in three games, and two of those runs are in garbage time in a blowout? That's insane.

Random thought: I wonder if any team has ever split a road trip in a way that so wildly defied the odds.

Davies continues to be unreal on the mound 17 game winner

He has three more starts this year (4 if they go on short rest at times), he still has an opportunity to be a 20 game winner and it may just take that for the Brewers to do this. This should be fun!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The bats started getting going too. First off, all the BB. Fantastic at bats most of the weekend. Shaw had 3 hits and 3 walks this weekend, Perez had 4 hits and a walk, Arcia 4 hits and 2 walks, Broxton 2 hits and 3 walks. Nice to see a few guys get something going on offense. This will be a tougher test as we have 3 games coming up with no Anderson or Davies, let's get the bats rolling at home and scratch out some more wins. Rockies head into Arizona to hopefully get swept in 4 games.

With all the remaining games that the Cubs, Cards, and Brewers play each other, the Brewers truly have control of their own destiny for a division title with less than 20 games to play.

Anyone who actually believed that was a possibility for this team back in early March is probably too optimistic even for this thread - here's hoping they keep on a roll and make the next few weeks interesting!

Rockies head into Arizona to hopefully get swept in 4 games.

Now I am sort of thinking we should just cheer for the Rockies and win the division so the Cubs miss the playoffs entirely. If this is the optimism thread then that is my optimal outcome.

I like your line of thinking, I just can't root for the Rockies until I'm certain we have the division(if we get it). I'm more pro-Brewer than anti-Cub...if only by a slim margin.

Anyone who actually believed that was a possibility for this team back in early March is probably too optimistic even for this thread - here's hoping they keep on a roll and make the next few weeks interesting!

Heck of a season where the Brewers proved even die-hard fans in an optimism thread weren't optimistic enough. Relevant baseball in September 2 years into a rebuild. Gotta love it.

This is still a rebuilding year & the process should not be rushed.

It is great and exciting that team is currently doing well (personally I'm happy for the club & its fans) but rebuilding & development still needs to be done, with focus on the pitching staff (rotation & bullpen).

Assuming this process is not rushed for short-sighted chases in 2017 & 2018, the outlook for 2019 & beyond is looking very bright...

Save this junk for another thread. It's World Series or bust for the Brewers this season!

WORLD SERIES HERE WE COME BABAYYYYYY!!!!!!! ITS HAPPENINNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived