Brewer Fanatic

2017 Brewers Optimism Thread!

torts
The Rockies and Diamondbacks have fairly difficult schedules coming up.

They also play each other 6 times. So we are guaranteed to make up ground on one of them 6 times. We need to start rooting against the Marlins now. Only a game behind us.

This doesn't make sense to me. There is no guarantee of anything. Those teams could go 3-3 against each other, but if the Brewers go 0-6, they lose ground.

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zach Davies is in a 3-way tie in MLB for wins... 15 wins is what Zack Greinke and Clayton Kershaw both have. So cool

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Been a lot of talk of the Cubs' easy 2nd half schedule, but the biggest remaining difference is this weekend. We have 4 against WAS while the Cubs have 4 against ATL. After that, the schedules are pretty much equal including 7 head-to-head matchups.

Come out of this weekend within a couple games, and this is going to be one heck of an interesting month. Heck, we gained on them against LA while they played PHI, let's get even this week!

And the Nationals are missing Harper. The Braves are a bit more formidable than the Phillies/Reds, if the Cubs struggled with those teams I suspect they'll struggle with the Braves as well.

The Rockies and Diamondbacks have fairly difficult schedules coming up.

They also play each other 6 times. So we are guaranteed to make up ground on one of them 6 times. We need to start rooting against the Marlins now. Only a game behind us.

This doesn't make sense to me. There is no guarantee of anything. Those teams could go 3-3 against each other, but if the Brewers go 0-6, they lose ground.

Wrong thread for that talk. This is the optimism thread. The Brewers will gain ground on one if not both of them :)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Davies does not get some respect that he should but Remember what Buck said when he was traded from Balt he going to be a very good pitcher

Davies reportedly found a mechanical fix to his control problems. He's been great lately. Let's hope it continues through the rest of the year.

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2017/8/28/16194554/zach-davies-has-figured-it-out-at-a-good-time-for-the-milwaukee-brewers

31 games left and Milwaukee is in the thick of the division race - not just the wild card race.

I've said this before, but it's up to us to take this. We're mostly healthy. Let's hope some guys get hot, and none of the young players hit a wall.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Brewers go 20-11 to finish out the season and get in the playoffs. Should be a fun ride!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Excited to see what happens with Hader going forward, not just this year but next year. He has tremendous value in his current role (clearly they are trying to model his usage somewhat after Andrew Miller this season).

I wonder if, given the Brewers surprising amount of pitching depth in the minors, they might try to keep Hader in that situation. I'm sure they're considering it and it depends on how certain other players do next year, but Hader could really be a great way to keep our bullpen strong next year without having to go pay top dollar for a big reliever.

Weirdly, his fate could be tied to that of Garza. If we don't trade Garza and decide to keep him around for at least the first half of the year, he could be taking the 5th spot away from Hader (assuming Nelson/Anderson/Davies/Woodruff are all sticking around).

The pitching depth of this organization is an incredibly surprising and really fun problem to have going forward. After a pretty lackluster start to the year, it's incredible to see the success stories at every level of the organization as the year has gone on. Nelson/Anderson were both about ready to lose their spots to the up and comers in the minors, and now they are a pretty solid 1/2 going into next year and under control for several years.

I know the offense is struggling lately but part of that could be a young team acclimating to a complete season (players like Santana, Arcia, Broxton, Thames don't necessarily have the full season MLB experience yet), and the pitching is likely to be a strong suit of the team all year next year as opposed to just recently this year. I hope they can pull out a playoff berth this year because it would be so fun to watch, but I really like our chances to win at least 90 games a year over the next couple seasons.

Just looked at the pitching matchups for the Nats series. By avoiding Strasburg they really don't look so bad besides the Scherzer one. 2 clearly in our favor and then kind of call Davies/Gio a wash. Obviously must get 2 of the 4. Get game 1 tonight and they're set up to at least do that and good shot at getting 3.

Rockies have a tough matchup vs AZ this weekend too.

After WAS they have a good run of games vs CIN, PIT, and MIA who are nothing special along with CHC of course. There's no reason they can't keep in this thing and one little hot streak could put them over the top for WC or division.

Man, really glad they took 3/4 from the Nats, but can't help but think that should have been a sweep. Still, we're pushing into September and it looks like we'll be only 1/2 game behind the Rocks by the time the day ends today.

Offense woke up today and Showmingo put on a display.

The cubs injury situation is starting to get to a critical stage. Last I read this morning, Russell had a setback and will miss another 3 weeks. Baez is day to day at best. That's both starting middle infielders, they are currently rolling with Zobrist and Freeman at 2b and ss with almost no SS depth. Contreras is on the shelf probably for another week. Arrieta just went down with a hammy, and I suspect they are downplaying it far more than they should be(how many guys make their next start after straining a hammy?). Lester just came back and didn't look all that sharp. All these injuries and lack of depth is a huge concern for them. They have 6 more games left before their next off day, and close the season with a tough 10 game road trip followed by 3 games at home against cincy to close the season. I'm feeling more optimistic about our divisional chances by the day.

After the sweep by the Reds it's hard for me to be optimistic but as someone posted the Brewers play up for the good teams and down for the bad. So I am hopeful that the Crew play very well pitched games for this series and the hitters get the runners home.

Go Brewers!

We have our top three pitchers going this weekend with a shot to make a big dent in the Cubs' divisional lead. Meaningful baseball in September is all you can really ask for, considering any team that is still alive and gets hot at the right time can go bring home a World Series title.

Make it happen boys!

The Cubs are really playing up the "first Friday night game in Cubs history" story. I did not realize until I read it that they broke such a tradition to give them a competitive advantage this season.

Anywho, looks like no Arrieta this series and we'll see Montgomery on Saturday(which should mean Aguilar gets a start). Santana is already heating up, I feel like Braun is going to wake up this series. All the booing he'll hear will motivate him in the best way possible. I feel like we have an advantage in starting pitching each of the 3 games. All good things.

Archived