Brewer Fanatic

2017 Brewers Optimism Thread!

torts
Ahh ok, I didn't go back and look. Top of my head I was thinking it was still a rough year before the respectability started in 06 or 07, turns out it was the first year of respectability. So ol Ned was right, knew we never should have gotten rid of him

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, they did alright that year. Went 81-81, it was their first non-losing season in eons.

Yep, they actually had a countdown on FSWI to 81 wins after each win in September. Daron Sutton was insufferable with it. Pretty embarrassing.

Hey, they did alright that year. Went 81-81, it was their first non-losing season in eons.

Yep, they actually had a countdown on FSWI to 81 wins after each win in September. Daron Sutton was insufferable with it. Pretty embarrassing.

I would welcome that back SO MUCH! BRING ON THE WINNING!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

This is basically how I look at his entire tenure in Milwaukee.

Now that college basketball season is done in my mind I am definitely getting in baseball mode. Unfortunately I am still more excited for the minor league season than the big league club but I will hope for a pleasant surprise. 2018 is the year I expect to see a competitive team again. The thing I am most optimistic about is some late season call up possibilities like Hader and Brinson that will show a glimpse into the future.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

To me what's exciting is that the young players we've been acquiring the last 2-3 years are starting to emerge with the big league club. That's our future.

Arcia is up and we'll see what he can do. And Broxton will be fascinating to watch.

Hader, Brinson, Cordell, Woodruff - good chance they all will be in Milwaukee in 2017. That's going to be fun and exciting. Not to mention the next wave of guys - Erceg, Ray, Ortiz, Diaz, etc. It should be fun to watch how they all progress.

I think we have a lot of talent. Just a matter of having some things break our way and the future looks like a lot of fun.

While we all want to win, in some ways years like this are the most fun to follow for hard core fans. I really love the stage of a rebuild where you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The games themselves are decent and the various story lines over the season are usually interesting. In a weird way it's more fun because of the lack of stress when you fret over every game when the proverbial window is open. Not that I want to be in this stage all the time but life long fans know it's a cycle. For me anyway this is a fun part of that cycle. If we hit another Sal Bando stretch if incompetence I reserve the right to change my mind.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

There's a lot to be excited about this season. Some debuts are going to happen this year that will captivate all of us.

I'm excited for another summer of poring over the Link Report.

Tim Muma predicts 82-80. That would be exciting.http://dairylandexpress.com/2017/03/23/milwaukee-brewers-2017-predictions/

Yeah I've been telling people I think the Brewers are going to be sneaky good. Just go around the horn and there isn't an expected black hole or negative contributer anywhere. Maybe some unknowns. 1B - Thames is probably biggest question mark but between him and Aguilar could be solid. I expect .500, which I guess isn't standard definition of optimism but with this team and what's expected it is.

While we all want to win, in some ways years like this are the most fun to follow for hard core fans. I really love the stage of a rebuild where you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The games themselves are decent and the various story lines over the season are usually interesting. In a weird way it's more fun because of the lack of stress when you fret over every game when the proverbial window is open. Not that I want to be in this stage all the time but life long fans know it's a cycle. For me anyway this is a fun part of that cycle. If we hit another Sal Bando stretch if incompetence I reserve the right to change my mind.

I know exactly what you're saying, and I feel the same way. At this stage of the rebuild I can just enjoy watching Brewers baseball. Without the feeling of its all for naught because the fran Chisel is stuck in neutral or reverse. Yet at the same time, no stress of expecting to win now.

Selfishly, it's also getting to the time where I get be the expert again among friends and family. They will be asking me about all the guys coming up, because they know I follow all the draft and MiLB minutia. Credit goes to the big contributors to those forums.

Yet another way I look at it, optimistic that by the end of this season, like last year, we will have a better idea who will and will not be part of the future. Uncovering both is really important part of this process.

Community Moderator

The Cubs are obviously going to run away with the division, but this is a Brewers team that can win some games and cause trouble for middling 80-some win teams like the Cardinals and Pirates.

Strongly agree with the 2005 comparison. That was the first year that the rebuild started to show with results on the field.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttsssssssssssssssss heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Yeah I've been telling people I think the Brewers are going to be sneaky good. Just go around the horn and there isn't an expected black hole or negative contributer anywhere. Maybe some unknowns. 1B - Thames is probably biggest question mark but between him and Aguilar could be solid. I expect .500, which I guess isn't standard definition of optimism but with this team and what's expected it is.

Offense should be better, but the pitching staff could be ugly.

Am I the only one that thinks Shaw could be really under the radar good? He has hit for a lot of power in very limited ABs, in a park that isn't lefty slugger friendly, moving to a park that is very lefty slugger friendly, and plays good D at 3rd.

Am I the only one that thinks Shaw could be really under the radar good? He has hit for a lot of power in very limited ABs, in a park that isn't lefty slugger friendly, moving to a park that is very lefty slugger friendly, and plays good D at 3rd.

I keep trying to remind myself how little spring stats mean...but I can't help but get a little excited as well. Love how Stearns bought low here, and for the exact reasons you mentioned you'd like to think this change of scenery will benefit him.

I also hope to use his nickname quite frequently - Mayor of Ding Dong City

I am not Shea Vucinich

We would have also outscored our opponents
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It has been a small sampling, but Jesus Aguilar looks like the real deal to me. Makes contact, hits for power, and has been impressive on the defensive side of the ball. I think it is only a matter of time before he is our every day first baseman. Maybe move Thames to right field if Santana doesn't get going soon?

It has been a small sampling, but Jesus Aguilar looks like the real deal to me. Makes contact, hits for power, and has been impressive on the defensive side of the ball. I think it is only a matter of time before he is our every day first baseman. Maybe move Thames to right field if Santana doesn't get going soon?

Way too soon to think about relegating Santana to the bench. There is nothing wrong though with mixing in Aguilar at first for Thames to keep his bat in the lineup as much as possible as long as he stays hot , with Thames either on the bench or in the outfield to give one of the corner OFers a day off.

Easy to look at a stat line 5 games in and assume Santana isn't doing well. Snake bitten a bit but still working counts and getting on base.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This Brewers team is fun to watch. Maddening at times with dumb mistakes but talented, athletic and enthusiastic. When your favorite team is going through a rebuild, at least having them be entertaining is a big plus to me.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Easy to look at a stat line 5 games in and assume Santana isn't doing well. Snake bitten a bit but still working counts and getting on base.

He's been doing a pretty good job of squaring the ball up, too, just doesn't have the results to show yet.

Archived