Brewer Fanatic

2017 Brewers Optimism Thread!

torts

The Brewers were ranked #8 on the ESPN power rankings this week. I don't really care what ESPN says but I thought the bolded part of this quote was very interesting.

8. Milwaukee Brewers

Record: 50-41

Week 13 ranking: No. 9

The Brewers have held their NL Central lead going into the break, and there's nothing fluky about it. They have the fourth-best run differential in the NL, and their record is exactly what you'd expect based on their run differential. They can mash -- they have six players with at least 10 home runs, tied for most among NL teams. However, they're just 10-11 in one-run games and 3-7 in extra-inning contests. Looking ahead, they have the third-easiest schedule in the second half

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread is like opposite of our game threads, where our bullpen is the alltime worst bullpen ever, all of our hitters are terrible with two strikes or with a man on third, and Counsell is the worst manager ever, and never makes good decisions.

Sometimes the optimism in here rides a bit *too* high, but it's occasionally necessary after dipping one's toes into the game threads at times.

optimism SHOULD be overboard in this thread, that is the point. the rest of the threads on this forum can worry about realities of our team!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I've been a hesitant, scared, non-believer so far this season, but every single win has helped me buy in more and more. Truly excited for the second half.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Baldkin - I've been the same way. I've been trying to just have fun and not expect much all year. Now I'm getting to the point where that is becoming tough. I'm somewhere in between caring about every game and just enjoying the wins and progress of this young team.

This is even more crazy to ponder...

Last season Jonathan Villar was are best hitter and Junior Guerra was our best pitcher.

If I would have told you as a Brewer fan that both of those players would regress big time this year, that our "franchise player" Ryan Braun wouldn't be traded but instead spend a good portion of the first half on the DL, and that our FA closer acquisition Neftali Feliz was going be so bad that he would be released before the All-Star break...

...but that the Brew Crew would overcome all that somehow to still lead the NL Central by 5.5 games at the break, you would have said YEAH, RIGHT.

Very true! If Villar can return even close to the 2016 version, if Braun can stay on the field and do what he normally does and if Guerra can return even close to his 2016 version... this will be a very deep and talented team.

In the off-season it looked like there were holes at 3B, probably at C, maybe offensively at SS and RF, a wildcard at 1B and an unknown bullpen along with a shaky starting rotation. All the acquisitions, except Feliz, have paid huge dividends. The starting rotation isn't spectacular, but it's solid. The bullpen has had some rough patches but it's improving. I can't imagine that anyone would have guessed 50 wins by the All-Star game. The offense isn't relying on 1 player anymore - the entire lineup is dangerous at the plate. Even with Brewer Goggles on, how many wins will they have at the end of the season? 90 seems to be in the realm of possibilities. Will that be enough for a playoff spot?

31 more wins for a .500 season.... out of 71. That was my 'everything goes right' prediction on this season.

REALLY enjoying this season. Even with a dragging a 3yr old to the games with us.

You knew me as Myday2001.

Lets start this with a Brewer win and Cubs loss, get the 2nd half off right. Get 7 or 8 of the next ten while they get 4ish. Then sweep them at the end up the month at MP and put it on cruise control the rest of the year.

This is just since an awesome spot to be in as a Brewer fan. I had little to no expectations for this season. The most I was hoping for was a few good performances, trading some good performers to help the rebuild, and to watch the kids on the farm continue their climb. Really just to bridge the gap until the Packers started in late July. But WOW, just WOW!! I'm not gonna lie, the post season beckons. I wouldn't mind a bigger move for young controlled pitching. Even a small move for older bullpen arms that cost a Cordell or maybe a Cody Ponce (star has dimmed a bit since his debut summer for myself). But while no move isn't as sexy, I can live with the Ty Webb as the lone move. (Brilliant move by the way, a probable rule 5 loss into a controllable loogy?! Nice!) Thanks for a very nice summer Stearns and Craig.

(Hope I did my math right)

10 games over .500

+5.5~Lead for NL Central

-1~Back for 2nd WC

-3~Back for 1st WC

-3.5~Back for #2 seed in NL

Cubs record needed to win division if we go .500 here on out:

43-30~99 win pace

Cubs record needed if we stay on current pace:

47-26~109 win pace

Quick Fact:

Arizona is 3-7 in their last ten including a current three game losing streak. Only lead 1st wildcard by 2 games now over the Rockies these days.

What's the over head clapping from? It looks familiar.

Is that our 2011 Beast Mode? I hope so because it will drive Cubs fans insane.

I'm curious about this too. I thought it was stupid at first, but it's turned into something that looks so dumb it's funny, lol. Love seeing all the chemistry with this team! The slow overhead clapping, the homerun gauntlet, etc., reminds me of the fun the Fielder teams had.

What's the over head clapping from? It looks familiar.

Is that our 2011 Beast Mode? I hope so because it will drive Cubs fans insane.

I'm curious about this too. I thought it was stupid at first, but it's turned into something that looks so dumb it's funny, lol. Love seeing all the chemistry with this team! The slow overhead clapping, the homerun gauntlet, etc., reminds me of the fun the Fielder teams had.

I can't place it but I think it might be something to do with a run an underdog made either in soccer or rugby.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No thread for Jeanmar Gomez? Dude had 37 saves last season. He's not elite but I'm glad to have him at least.

Signed to a minor league deal. If there's a thread, it's probably in the minors forum. Also, he was really bad last year. Phillies had to have *somebody* close.

No thread for Jeanmar Gomez? Dude had 37 saves last season. He's not elite but I'm glad to have him at least.

The guy shouldn't have been a closer but when he was with Pitt he was a decent 7th inning guy. Solid pick up.

Archived