Brewer Fanatic

2017 Brewers Optimism Thread!

torts
  • Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Villar, Perez for Verlander and cash back to Brewers. Depending on cash back?

Should probably toss this in the proposals thread.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The way he's going Arcia might end up with an .800 OPS by season's end.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewers win, Cubs lose. Enough said.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Mark Sweeney on Brewers strategy as deadline approaches: "They have to decide if they are going to honor the guys that got them this far" meaning regardless of the so-called master plan, this roster put them in position to win the division and they deserve to have every shot at finishing the job. Amen to that!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm sure he'll hit a cold snap again at some point, but he's definitely quieted the folks that thought he couldn't hit at the big league level. Right now he's at a .750 OPS and knocking a fair amount of XBH's. (and should probably be a gold glove candidate).

If he finishes the season at a .750 OPS with 40 - 45 XBH's and keeps playing the level of defense he is right now, he's already a star.

Verified Member

I'm sure he'll hit a cold snap again at some point, but he's definitely quieted the folks that thought he couldn't hit at the big league level. Right now he's at a .750 OPS and knocking a fair amount of XBH's. (and should probably be a gold glove candidate).

If he finishes the season at a .750 OPS with 40 - 45 XBH's and keeps playing the level of defense he is right now, he's already a star.

I was a skeptic. I am shocked at his production so far. I thought he could eventually become the type of hitter we've seen in the last month+, but thought it would be at least a few years down the road. It still seems like a bit of a mirage to me, but I'll take it. This team is full of stories like that. I can't think of one guy who is still on the roster who hasn't flashed brightly for a few games to put a W in the win column. Similarly, almost everybody has had their down times as well. Fun team to follow.

According the stats posted in the newest ESPN Power Rankings, the Brewers starting pitching staff was 4th in the major leagues is ERA (3.89) in June. Considering the struggles of Davies and Guerra - I think that number would surprise some.

77! You know things are going well when Brent Suter gives you 6ip 0er.

There's some similarities between Suter and Mark Buehrle. Just saying. Buehrle never topped 88 and worked very quickly. Not saying Suter is Buehrle but they just need him to be one time through the league.

Anybody else hear Stearns in game interview today?????? Shocked by some of his answers. In a nutshell, he is looking to deal...

I haven't seen it yet, but Stearns is always looking to improve the team and make deals. He has a team looking likely to be in first place come the All Star break. He is going to try and make improvements like anyone else would.

Anybody else hear Stearns in game interview today?????? Shocked by some of his answers. In a nutshell, he is looking to deal...

Why wouldn't he be? He's been dealing before the ink was dry on his GM contract. Not only that but they have an opportunity to make the post season. How awesome is that?!?

They don't call him Slingin' Stearns for nothing!

Biggest lead on the division all season! 3.5 games magic number 75! Somehow Chase Anderson going down has lead to a string of great starts (except for Guerra). Been waiting all season for the impending downfall, yet they keep winning and opening up their division lead.

Why wouldn't he be? He's been dealing before the ink was dry on his GM contract. Not only that but they have an opportunity to make the post season. How awesome is that?!?

Said earlier in June that they would not be buyers at the deadline... can't find the source now.

Said earlier in June that they would not be buyers at the deadline... can't find the source now.

I think it was more along the lines that they would not abandon the process of building for the future but he never ruled out deals to improve this year's team and the claim of Vogt is.proof of that. It also doesn't preclude him for adding controllable players either. What he won't do is rent guys are the expense of the top prospects.

I believe the headline at the time mentioned Stearns not skipping steps in the rebuilding process. I take that as a positive, he won't sell the farm but is willing to improve the current club, even marginally. I like the Vogt move because with his salary it showed that they will take on money to improve the club, think there will be opportunity to take on players with a larger conract without giving up top prospects.

I love how this team makes pitchers work every inning. They just don't seem to have a lot of three up, three down innings. I was thinking about that a couple days ago when the Brewers scored 7 runs in one inning but did little else the rest of the game. Even the years where we had good offenses it seemed to be more boom or bust like that. This season they seem to put pressure on pitchers each and every inning more often than not.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Biggest lead on the division all season! 3.5 games magic number 75! Somehow Chase Anderson going down has lead to a string of great starts (except for Guerra). Been waiting all season for the impending downfall, yet they keep winning and opening up their division lead.

This bears repeating: 3.5 game lead on July 5! Also, I like how this team bounces back every time it starts to lose ground.

I saw/heard the interview, and you may be reading too much into it. Sounded like typical GM speak to me, very vague. "We're always looking to get better." That sort of thing.

Archived