Brewer Fanatic

2017 Brewers Optimism Thread!

torts

THE YOUTH!!!!!

THE TALENT!!!!!

THE DINGERS!!!!!!!

Yo, who else is EXCITED for baseball to start?? I dont care what the record is this year, the talent that we have coming is EXCITING! THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT, THE FUTURE IS FUN, THE FUTURE IS NIGH!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I can't wait for the first negative post in the optimism thread!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I am very, very excited to see what pretty much every position player can do. So much variability aside from Braun, with lots of upside. Broxton and Santana are both primed for breakouts.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I like the offense this year. The pitching though, not so much. Hopefully it surprises me.

Brewers do have the lowest ERA in the Cactus League and the 2nd lowest WHIP. Combined with the best offense all of baseball this spring, there's certainly reason for optimism. I'm most worried about the pen. They didn't give away games late last year. If they start doing that this year, it will affect the entire team.

If the team stays relatively healthy, I think they got a shot at .500 this year. Maybe we'll actually luck out and get more than a bag of baseballs and some batting cage replacement wheels for Garza at the deadline. http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/44.gif

As an unapologetic optimist I look forward to this thread every season. The offense seems more balanced than it has in quite some time. Both in wich side of the plate they hit from and type of hitters we have. Some power, some speed, some OBP ability. I don't have any actual evidence for this but I always felt balance like that helps teams from getting into long slumps.

On the pitching side there are options despite a lack of top talent. We may not have an ace, or something even close, but we also have enough major league level talent that we won't be essentially giving up a game or two every time through the rotation.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Optimistic on all the position players being equal or better than last year at the position. Yes, Catcher too. The duo of Bandy/Pina equal the duo of Lucroy/Maldonado. As both return better offense than Maldonado to offset Lucroys better Offensive numbers. There are going to be some explosive Offense games, wouldnt doubt a 20 run game gets put up in one.

I just get the feeling that the Brewers are going to be a team that others teams will hate playing. Speed at the top of the order, decent power throughout and no gaping holes that will let the pitcher relax. On the other side, solid defense, decent pen and starters that can keep things close. The other teams may beat the Brewers, but the Brewers aren't just going to roll over for anybody.

What was that old promo/ad from 10-15 years ago when the team was awful, it was the manager at the time giving some speech about how "we got the fighters, we got the scrappers..."? We should just re-use that one for this squad. Then next year we can roll out the Turning Up the Heat promos again.

Barring injury though I think they will be better than most think. Seems like the type of team that should do a lot of little things right (other than dumb baserunning outs) to be in most games and win more than they should. Very similar to last year actually before the trades at the end. I suppose a key difference last year to this is the bullpen was set last year with more or less proven guys at the end of it. Then we traded them all so kind of starting fresh this year.

What was that old promo/ad from 10-15 years ago when the team was awful, it was the manager at the time giving some speech about how "we got the fighters, we got the scrappers..."?

'We gotta get it done on the field this year...and we can! We got the fighters, we got the gamers, we got the hard workers.'

- Ned Yost, 2005

What was that old promo/ad from 10-15 years ago when the team was awful, it was the manager at the time giving some speech about how "we got the fighters, we got the scrappers..."? We should just re-use that one for this squad. Then next year we can roll out the Turning Up the Heat promos again.

Barring injury though I think they will be better than most think. Seems like the type of team that should do a lot of little things right (other than dumb baserunning outs) to be in most games and win more than they should. Very similar to last year actually before the trades at the end. I suppose a key difference last year to this is the bullpen was set last year with more or less proven guys at the end of it. Then we traded them all so kind of starting fresh this year.

Even if we had all the guys we traded back Thornburg is having some arm issues, Smith wasn't all that great after the trade and well all know the issues with Jefferess.

With relievers you can never tell from year to year anyway so I see it as the same.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

What was that old promo/ad from 10-15 years ago when the team was awful, it was the manager at the time giving some speech about how "we got the fighters, we got the scrappers..."?

'We gotta get it done on the field this year...and we can! We got the fighters, we got the gamers, we got the hard workers.'

- Ned Yost, 2005

That might have been the start of the 'gritty battlers' joke that I never get tired of using re: all things Ned Yost.

Figured most on here would remember that. I remember laughing about it, knowing they had no shot that year. This year, and last before trades, I think it's about right.

Thurston, you're exactly right. The people we have in the pen this year could be just as good, varies every year with pens. Going into last year though I think we all viewed that as a clear strength, barring huge regression or injuries. This year it's a question, could go either way. What you said also really shows what good trades they were. Smith likely having TJ now. Well done sell high by management.

Figured most on here would remember that. I remember laughing about it, knowing they had no shot that year. This year, and last before trades, I think it's about right.

Thurston, you're exactly right. The people we have in the pen this year could be just as good, varies every year with pens. Going into last year though I think we all viewed that as a clear strength, barring huge regression or injuries. This year it's a question, could go either way. What you said also really shows what good trades they were. Smith likely having TJ now. Well done sell high by management.

Hey, they did alright that year. Went 81-81, it was their first non-losing season in eons.

I do see a lot of parallels between now and 2005. A team on the rise, with a lot of young talent, but not quite there yet.

Archived