Brewer Fanatic

Breakdown

It seems like a nice spread, doesnt it.

I would be happy if we start moving out the dead wood in some of the teams. There are a few guys that will never help the Crew. So, aside from keeping a couple oldies to help the youngies... I say...

out with the old and in with the new

I noticed Z was leaning away from HS players but I didn't think it would end up being this drastic. Only a little bit more than a third of the players we drafted are out of high school. A far cry from last year. He also went with a good amount of juco's. In the first 10 picks 5 are from HS and 5 are juco/college. After that, we took 12 HS and 27 juco/college.

I think if you looked at the average round the HS players were taken in, it would be much, much higher than the college and JC players, too. Seven of the last ten picks were high schoolers and I would guess that many of those are going to be D&F candidates.

This was an Athletics-like draft in its college/high school makeup.

~Bill

I think the Brewers drafted a good number of draft and follow candidates. Even though they only signed 5 guys from this past years class, I think they really like taking that approach to the draft and seeing how guys mature over one years time. Personally, I enjoy that approach to as a fan and think it is a good way to bring in guys who are improving on things that select CC or JC's work on the players with.

This should be a fun one to watch for the next 11 months.

well, the draft and follow is a great way to save money...i mean, nothing better than finding out if a guy sucks once and for all before you sign him...

i think it's a great idea...also, it doesn't clog the lower levels of the minor leagues with guys that don't have any kind of chance...And truthfully, the DFE kid's are probably getting better coaching at their Junior Colleges than they would with 100 guys at extended Spring training

draft and follow can actually be quite expensive

look at one of the latest signing from last year (Ford) and his 200 K paycheck. That is a significant load of cash for any draftpick outside the top 5 rounds.

the draft and follow is definatly a way to be selective with your cash though and use it wisely. Instead of getting 5 guys equaling 200 thousand dollars, the Brewers waited a year and grabbed one guy that they thought actually had a chance to make it and gave it all to him. Smart spending.

nstead of getting 5 guys equaling 200 thousand dollars, the Brewers waited a year and grabbed one guy that they thought actually had a chance to make it and gave it all to him.

You said it better than me, but that's essentially what I meant.

This was an Athletics-like draft in its college/high school makeup.

I don't think this was an A's style draft at all. The A's had been picking all the players from major 4 year schools. The Brewers took very few players from 4 year schools, and many of them come from tiny places like the 2 players from Embry-Riddle. Speaking of that school, they played in Appl-eton for the D3 college world series. Anyone from the Fox Vally area see them play in person?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived