Brewer Fanatic

Wearing Another Team's Hat

What if the guy is wearing the "T" Texas Rangers hat because he's the coach of his son's little league team called the "Rangers"? And maybe he was running late, heading over to Miller Park straight from practice or even a little league game and didn't have a chance to change hats?

Overall, yes, the opinions are great. And everyone is entitled to them. However, several people have the opinion that others are forcing THEIR opinions on them as well as stating those opinions to be facts. And I think that's where the problem lies therein.

This thread started out really great, and a lot of good opinions were stated throughout the thread. It's the semi-condescending opinions that have brought the discussion down. Thankfully, there are several posters here with the brevity to bring some humor to the situation or this thread would've been closed long ago.

I think it's a great topic and has had great discussion. Opinions are fine. And we're all entitled to them. But, please, keep things civil and refrain from telling people they are wrong because they don't align with your thoughts.

Thank you!

**cue the next post saying, "You're wrong."** heh, heh!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What if the guy is wearing the "T" Texas Rangers hat because he's the coach of his son's little league team called the "Rangers"? And maybe he was running late, heading over to Miller Park straight from practice or even a little league game and didn't have a chance to change hats?

Overall, yes, the opinions are great. And everyone is entitled to them. However, several people have the opinion that others are forcing THEIR opinions on them as well as stating those opinions to be facts. And I think that's where the problem lies therein.

This thread started out really great, and a lot of good opinions were stated throughout the thread. It's the semi-condescending opinions that have brought the discussion down. Thankfully, there are several posters here with the brevity to bring some humor to the situation or this thread would've been closed long ago.

I think it's a great topic and has had great discussion. Opinions are fine. And we're all entitled to them. But, please, keep things civil and refrain from telling people they are wrong because they don't align with your thoughts.

Thank you!

**cue the next post saying, "You're wrong."** heh, heh!

You are not correct in numerous ways, but you are not morally wrong. No sin or grievance against God is being committed with your beliefs. Of course, that is my opinion, which I believe is granted me by you ("Opinions are fine").

First off, the "humor" in this thread was usually the semi-condescending stuff you praise, usually after the other side gives honest opinion. That is evident throughout. I am guilty of that too, though, and my apologies.

Two, debate is partly based on showing that the other side is incorrect, ironically kind of like you just did with me in your first paragraph, which was very valid by the way. Speaking in generalities can exclude special circumstances.

Third, what do you mean by "forcing THEIR opinion on them as well as stating those opinions to be facts"? If "forcing" means to write topic-based opinions on a fan forum that are read willingly by others, you got me. Also, no where do I see people on either side stating their opinion as absolute truth that everybody has to believe.

I agree that things need to be kept civil, but even your belief there stems from the opposite behavior being morally wrong, which you are against stating to others. More irony.

I enjoy the give and take here, but I'm looking forward to better topics to discuss. Moreover, the season starts in two days! We'll have better things to disagree about like lineups, manager moves, and when to bring Brinson up.

Go Brewers!

At Target, there is no competition. Some people there love the Brewers, others are indifferent towards them. It doesn't matter who they root for, they're just buying laundry detergent.

The hat that I wear to the stadium is part of the experience of attending the game. The hat that I wear to Target is just to cover my head.

Blasphemy, I say! When I go shopping, I always wear my best khakis and a snappy red polo to leave no doubt as to where my allegiances reside with regard to shopping. So whether I am wandering through the aisles of Target or some other lesser store, my clothing says expect more. pay less.® every time. No one who ever sees me will ever call me a Kohls man.

I harbor no ill will towards you, of course, because you didn't know how my competitive juices get flowing when I see that red bulls-eye.

I saw a guy wearing a piggly wiggly shirt at walmart today. I was very confused about his allegiances and feel he probably should have been denied entrance into the store.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Can we make this thread silly enough to make it WOAH SOLVDD-worthy? I believe we are up to this challenge.

http://americaswhiteboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Milwaukee-Brewers-2015-mlb-team-preview-funny-shirtless-hat-weird.jpg

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

While I undoubtedly love the Brewers and own more Brewer items than any other of my favorite teams apparel, I also enjoy wearing the hats of other teams that I root for like the Giants and Padres. My sense of loyalty to the Brewers is not in question as I have don't even have an ounce of rooting interest for any of the teams if it were to impact the Brewers chances. However, I do not own apparel for a different NFL team other than the Packers and have no desire for it. My friends have questioned my loyalty to the Brewers whereas I believe it to be a love affair with the game of baseball that is unique to this sport and doesn't translate to football.

The question I have for you all is if you wear a hat of other MLB teams or are you strictly Brewers and your reason for either?

The only teams I have gear for are my teams:

MLB - Milwaukee Brewers

NFL - Chicago Bears

Minors - Potomac Nationals (local), but will buy Brewers gear as well

Yes, I know I probably root for the LEAST favorite football team here. But my dad was military, we moved around, so my baseball team was the Brewers, and football ended up being Da Bears.

While I undoubtedly love the Brewers and own more Brewer items than any other of my favorite teams apparel, I also enjoy wearing the hats of other teams that I root for like the Giants and Padres. My sense of loyalty to the Brewers is not in question as I have don't even have an ounce of rooting interest for any of the teams if it were to impact the Brewers chances. However, I do not own apparel for a different NFL team other than the Packers and have no desire for it. My friends have questioned my loyalty to the Brewers whereas I believe it to be a love affair with the game of baseball that is unique to this sport and doesn't translate to football.

The question I have for you all is if you wear a hat of other MLB teams or are you strictly Brewers and your reason for either?

The only teams I have gear for are my teams:

MLB - Milwaukee Brewers

NFL - Chicago Bears

Minors - Potomac Nationals (local), but will buy Brewers gear as well

Yes, I know I probably root for the LEAST favorite football team here. But my dad was military, we moved around, so my baseball team was the Brewers, and football ended up being Da Bears.

I know a lot of Bears and Brewers fans and a lot of Packers and Cubs fans.

For the Bears I would always go to their summer practices and met Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus after meeting them at the Bears summer practices I became a Bears fan. How can you not love Gale Sayers one of the nicest person I have ever met. He answered so many of my questions about football during those camps. I didn't even know who he was when I first met him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Can we make this thread silly enough to make it WOAH SOLVDD-worthy? I believe we are up to this challenge.

Does this qualify?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/cthawkinson/Cheese%20sandwich.png

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I have been away from this thread for too long it appears.

Well there you have it. The people have spoken. Everyone MUST comply with the absolutists. No deviation. If you don't wear Brewers hats exclusively, then rick and topper will be confused about your allegiance.

Maybe you missed the entire point of this thread asking for people's opinion on the matter, then I listed some things under controversial opinions, and used the word should. You seem to fundamentally misunderstand the difference between the word should and must. I am not advocating for any legislation on this matter.

I am pretty surprised that some people do not associate a hat with team allegiance? I feel like that is the overwhelming majority opinion. If I see someone wearing a Yankees hat, I do not think they are a Brewers fan. I do not think they are a Reds fan. If I talk to them and they tell me they are a Brewer fan, I will probably ask them why they are wearing a Yankees hat. I will then personally think they are not much of a Brewer fan (it is possible this assumption will be wrong, but it will almost always be correct), and when I engage them on Brewer related news they will not know what I am talking about. In fact, when I talk to them about general baseball I will quickly realize they do not really like baseball and can only repeat cliches from ESPN regarding baseball happenings of the past few years. There is a 100% chance they do not know who Lefty Grove is (this cannot ever be wrong).

I work with a decent number of out of state people, and just recently a newer guy was wearing an Astros hat. I figured I would make him feel welcome by starting up some baseball chat when he informed me he is in fact a Red Sox fan. I became concerned he did not really like baseball or follow it, so I asked him who his favorite Red Sox player was and he said David Ortiz which confirmed my theory. (The correct answer is Ted Williams by the way). I then threw a out a good baseball fan gauge question: Name the 8 ways the batter can reach first base. (H, BB, HBP, E, FC, CI, OB, K). He could only name four. There was no further need to confirm the Lefty Grove theory.

You should not buy hats because you like how they look or have neat colors, that is dumb you are not a little girl.

So does this rule just apply to team hats or any hats? Does it also apply to other articles of clothing? Should I eliminate all mirrors from my house and get dressed in complete darkness so that I'm not influenced by something as girly as personal appearance? Oh, please please impart your wisdom on me, I want so much to be a real man and fan like you.

It only applies to hats, which is why it does not say "You should not buy any of your clothing because you like how they look". I could see where you are coming from if I typed that. Hats are different from other clothing because the usage for hats are (in order)

1. Show team allegiance

2. Shield sun from eyes

3. Look cool

4. Make people think you are not bald

999999. wear backwards

Since you asked, being a real man really has nothing to do with being a real fan. To be a real man you need to be excellent in the fields of: honor, toughness, courage and carpentry. You actually don't even need to like or follow sports to be real man, I don't even think Abraham Lincoln played in little league. To be a real fan, you should not show support for other teams. If you think wearing other teams gear does not signify supporting them then that itself is proof you are not a lifelong dedicated fan because you would just know this deep down in your soul. You will have had too many run-ins with fake, casual fans wearing random hats to let this go. You can think otherwise but you would be wrong.

I understand there are some legit circumstances for this to occur, but I consider these fans to be on some sort of second tier. Like how Tom Hagan can become the Don's consigliere, but he cannot become a made man because he is not Italian. If I see you wearing a Brewers hat in the winter I expect you to be able to talk about the Packers. I feel like it is not completely valid for you to use the term "we" to describe you and other Brewers fans because you are not really in our inner circle if you have other non-WI allegiances. This does not apply to any out of state college if you went there.

U r my new hero.

No Rick, you are the hero

In summary, if you are wearing other team's stuff for whatever reason you are probably not the most serious Brewer or baseball fan. This is ok, you can choose this option in life and achieve great success. However that is what I would think and I would usually be right.

I am amused, confused and enraged all at the same time. Congrats! That's really hard to do.

Aren't you a Brewers fan? Can't be the first time.

This would be a good spot for that picture of Yuni that occasionally gets inserted into BF.net threads :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I understand there are some legit circumstances for this to occur, but I consider these fans to be on some sort of second tier. Like how Tom Hagan can become the Don's consigliere, but he cannot become a made man because he is not Italian. If I see you wearing a Brewers hat in the winter I expect you to be able to talk about the Packers. I feel like it is not completely valid for you to use the term "we" to describe you and other Brewers fans because you are not really in our inner circle if you have other non-WI allegiances. This does not apply to any out of state college if you went there.

Except most of the time I know more about the Packers than some Packer fans do. Just because I like the Bears doesn't mean I can't talk about the Packers they are in the same division and a rival. I usually get a surprised look when I start talking about the Packers and all of their flaws and other issues they have. Plus I have this weird superstition that all of my team names start with a B. Brewers, Bucks, Bears, Blackhawks, and Badgers I know weird right?

I try not to use we when talking about other fans. There is very little that I have in common with another Brewer fan so we doesn't really fit and I really can't understand this you can't be a true Brewers fan or insert any other team here unless you are a fan of all the teams in that state. What if there were two NFL franchises in WI would you be kicked out of the inner circle because you only liked one of the teams? Are you out of the inner circle if you only like Marquette over Wisconsin?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I am amused, confused and enraged all at the same time. Congrats! That's really hard to do.

Aren't you a Brewers fan? Can't be the first time.

This would be a good spot for that picture of Yuni that occasionally gets inserted into BF.net threads :-)

Did I hear my name???

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/6218.png&w=350&h=254

Does this qualify?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/cthawkinson/Cheese%20sandwich.png

Looking at this originally I thought they were supposed to be slices of cold pizza which immediately made me think of the legendary Sheets appearance on the ESPN show of the same name which seems at this point to be lost to the annals of the internet, infinite time & space, etc, etc...

You know, I've now watched two-and-four-ninths (2 4/9) games and I've seen a ton of fans wearing hats and other gear (shirts, etc.) of other teams besides the Brewers and Rockies.

HOW DARE THEY COMMIT THIS TRAVESTY!!!!!!!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

You know, I've now watched two-and-four-ninths (2 4/9) games and I've seen a ton of fans wearing hats and other gear (shirts, etc.) of other teams besides the Brewers and Rockies.

HOW DARE THEY COMMIT THIS TRAVESTY!!!!!!!

Do you know that they are Brewers or Rockies fans though? Lol they could be just taking in a ballgame.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I’m new around here and this is officially my first post. Big Brewers fan since I was a wee lad in the early ‘80s. My turn ons are long walks to the Molitor lot after a Brewers win, cold Miller Lites listening to the game on warm Sunday afternoons, and well executed sac bunts. Turn offs include Chicago Cubs WS wins, pace of play initiatives, and rain delays.

Anyway...sorry to resurrect this if you’re all over it, but a different spin on kind of the same type of topic. Since this is my first post ever, I really didn’t think it was my place to be starting a new thread.

Where do you stand on wearing your team’s cap to a game where your team is not involved? For example, I wear my Brewers cap to Wrigley at a Cubs/Cardinals game. Because this will happen in September when my wife is at a conference in Chi-town and I plan on hitting a couple of games. We miss the Brewers by 3 days. I actually do this all the time. Angels/Red Sox in Anaheim. Pirates/Rockies in Pittsburgh. Rays/Orioles in Tampa Bay. Dodgers/Mariners in L.A. Twins/Royals in Minneapolis. Etc. You get the idea. I’ve gotten some, “Are you lost, Bro?”, “Brewers S#@K!”, and the like. For the most part just good natured ribbing, which is fine. This will be the first time I sport a Brewers lid at a game of two division rivals however.

I say there’s nothing wrong with it as long as you’re not boisterously rooting against the home team. Since I wish they both could lose this won’t be a problem. But give Manfred time...He may figure out a way to make that happen! I kid!

"Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection."

-Red Smith

Alright so serious question here. So I was in the cafeteria today and the biggest predicament happened. In the fridge with all the drinks was my typical bottled water I get everytime. Problem is Aquafina put a Cubs logo on it and states they are the official sponsor of the world champions. If I buy this water am I not a true fan? Am I supporting the Cubs? Is it acceptable to just rip the label off and call it good or deep down have I still comitted the sin?

Where do you stand on wearing your team’s cap to a game where your team is not involved? For example, I wear my Brewers cap to Wrigley at a Cubs/Cardinals game. Because this will happen in September when my wife is at a conference in Chi-town and I plan on hitting a couple of games. We miss the Brewers by 3 days. I actually do this all the time. Angels/Red Sox in Anaheim. Pirates/Rockies in Pittsburgh. Rays/Orioles in Tampa Bay. Dodgers/Mariners in L.A. Twins/Royals in Minneapolis. Etc. You get the idea. I’ve gotten some, “Are you lost, Bro?”, “Brewers S#@K!”, and the like. For the most part just good natured ribbing, which is fine. This will be the first time I sport a Brewers lid at a game of two division rivals however.

I did this in Baltimore, gave me a reason to wear my JJ Hardy Shrizey one last time.

You knew me as Myday2001.

Archived