Brewer Fanatic

Wearing Another Team's Hat

I'm a UW hater and would never wear their swag. My wife who is from NY doesn't care and my sister and brother in law are UW graduates. My wife finds a UW sweatshirt at Kohls on sale/clearance and tells me there is nothing I can do to stop her from buying it. OK, no big deal buy it if you want. The only thing she didn't think of in her argument was that I did the laundry. That sweatshirt never was washed by me. After about 3 weeks after wearing it the first time she asks if I knew where it was. I told her its at the bottom of the laundry pile and simply there is not enough room in my loads for it. I may not be able to strop her from buying it, but she can't force me to wash it.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I live in KC and have taken a liking to the royals to the point that I own a KC hat, shirts, and wear them on occasion or when I go to a game. I still cheer for the Brewers when they play each other on that rare occasion.

It is funny because I'm also in the same boat where I would never do that for the Chiefs, its only Packers for me. Baseball just seems different, even with interleague play.

Sounds like a typical front runner...

Royals = recent WS and playoffs

Packers = decade of winning

Wear whatever you want. And don't let other people influence you--as if their definition of fandom is superior to yours...it's nonsense.

It's not up to anyone else to decide what you wear and how you display and/or declare your allegiance. I find all those unwritten fan rules silly as heck.

AMEN!

Wear whatever hat you want, of course. What do I care.

Yet, you are what you are, and that would be a supporter of other teams, who by the way are trying to beat our beloved small market team.

Yeaaa other teams!

It's funny that this topic comes up now during a rebuild. Fans want to win, of course, and if it isn't likely to happen here for a while..... "hey, I'll just wear my Red Sox and Cubs gear, and don't judge me because I still love my Brewers when they are winning."

I graduated from UWM, my Dad went to school at Wisconsin, then went to dental school at Marquette and was a longtime season ticket holder. I lean more towards Wisconsin because it's a public school, and will root for them over Marquette. However, I still cheer for Marquette in the tournament. I just enjoy being able to have some rooting interest in local sports.

Wear whatever you want. And don't let other people influence you--as if their definition of fandom is superior to yours...it's nonsense.

It's not up to anyone else to decide what you wear and how you display and/or declare your allegiance. I find all those unwritten fan rules silly as heck.

AMEN!

Wear whatever hat you want, of course. What do I care.

Yet, you are what you are, and that would be a supporter of other teams, who by the way are trying to beat our beloved small market team.

Yeaaa other teams!

Ugh, the purity police.

Sometimes a hat is just a hat. Maybe I like the color, or the logo. Maybe the hat reminds me of living in those places earlier in life. Maybe I like it as a conversation starter.

Maybe the 300+ Brewers tickets I've bought over the past 5 years for me and my family speaks louder than a $30 hat for a team in another division.

Do I pass your test?

Is there some sort of UW/Marquette rivalry that I'm not aware of?

Yes, definately. It primarily stems from recruiting. If you don't follow that part of college basketball I could see how you wouldn't be aware of it.

Yea, it's an in-state rivalry. Simple as that. Duke/NC, Alabama/Auburn, SC/Clemson, etc.

Is there some sort of UW/Marquette rivalry that I'm not aware of?

Yes, definately. It primarily stems from recruiting. If you don't follow that part of college basketball I could see how you wouldn't be aware of it.

Yea, it's an in-state rivalry. Simple as that. Duke/NC, Alabama/Auburn, SC/Clemson, etc.

Do they even play each other in a popular sport outside of basketball? And even there they're not in the same conference.

Do they even play each other in a popular sport outside of basketball? And even there they're not in the same conference.

It doesn't matter, they're the two big basketball programs in the state. Add Milwaukee vs rest of the state, public vs private, and walla...rivalry.

It's not the degree those other rivalries are that I mentioned. Plenty of people like and floow both, but it's definitely a real rivalry.

UW vs MU is not a rivalry because UW fans are largely indifferent or even MU fans other than for 1 day in December when there is a non-conference basketball game. MU fans have an inferiority complex and view UW as a rival and usually hate UW completely even when they are playing in the Rose Bowl representing the only Division 1 football program in the state.

Also I see no problem wearing packer/badgers gear to show you support the brewers, clearly that is what it means. I went to a Brewer game at Dodgers stadium and wore a Packer jersey to really stick out since the Brewer blue/white blends in with the Dodgers colors. No one was confused about who I was cheering for at the game.

Controversial opinions:

You should only wear brewers gear, although you can "like" maybe 1 AL team and cheer for them if there are no Brewer implications, but you should not have their gear since they are not your team. If I see someone wearing the hat of team X I will assume that is their team and it is dumb when I say O, you like the Cardinals that is too bad but they say I don't really like them.

You should not buy hats because you like how they look or have neat colors, that is dumb you are not a little girl.

UW vs MU is not a rivalry because UW fans are largely indifferent or even MU fans other than for 1 day in December when there is a non-conference basketball game. MU fans have an inferiority complex and view UW as a rival and usually hate UW completely even when they are playing in the Rose Bowl representing the only Division 1 football program in the state.

Also I see no problem wearing packer/badgers gear to show you support the brewers, clearly that is what it means. I went to a Brewer game at Dodgers stadium and wore a Packer jersey to really stick out since the Brewer blue/white blends in with the Dodgers colors. No one was confused about who I was cheering for at the game.

Controversial opinions:

You should only wear brewers gear, although you can "like" maybe 1 AL team and cheer for them if there are no Brewer implications, but you should not have their gear since they are not your team. If I see someone wearing the hat of team X I will assume that is their team and it is dumb when I say O, you like the Cardinals that is too bad but they say I don't really like them.

You should not buy hats because you like how they look or have neat colors, that is dumb you are not a little girl.

U r my new hero.

Well there you have it. The people have spoken. Everyone MUST comply with the absolutists. No deviation. If you don't wear Brewers hats exclusively, then rick and topper will be confused about your allegiance.

Next, they'll be reviewing your bobblehead collection. There better not be any Orioles bird, or Mr. Met, or Vin Scully. Those are unpure.

As a personal dress standard, I never mix retro and contemporary logos of the same team (shirt or hat). Nor do I wear apparel for two teams at the same time. But honestly, go with whatever gives you your jollies. It's possible to be a fan of a team and a league at the same time.

So does this rule just apply to team hats or any hats? Does it also apply to other articles of clothing? Should I eliminate all mirrors from my house and get dressed in complete darkness so that I'm not influenced by something as girly as personal appearance? Oh, please please impart your wisdom on me, I want so much to be a real man and fan like you.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Well there you have it. The people have spoken. Everyone MUST comply with the absolutists. No deviation. If you don't wear Brewers hats exclusively, then rick and topper will be confused about your allegiance.

Next, they'll be reviewing your bobblehead collection. There better not be any Orioles bird, or Mr. Met, or Vin Scully. Those are unpure.

Twisting words....

Wear whatever you like. Most could not care less. Where did I ever tell you what to wear? I'm not. Yet, you tell me how to think. You ironically are the absolutist. In your world, your views are right and I am wrong. In mine, yours are silly, and mine make sense.

Moreover, I will be confused by your allegiance to a certain team when several teams hats in the same sport and league are worn. Most would be.

So does this rule just apply to team hats or any hats? Does it also apply to other articles of clothing? Should I eliminate all mirrors from my house and get dressed in complete darkness so that I'm not influenced by something as girly as personal appearance? Oh, please please impart your wisdom on me, I want so much to be a real man and fan like you.

You could always buy more MLB gear with Cubs game ticket $.

Meh, I call bologna.

I'm a Brewers fan. Only Brewers when it comes to baseball. I would not wear a Phillies hat to a game, if they were playing the Phillies. But I have a few hats. I have a Phillies hat, I have an old Expos hat. I have a Cubs hat. I have a Cardinals hat. I wear them when I want to wear a hat and don't want to wear the same one every day. I liked the styling of the logo. There is no science to which one I wear, I wear the Brewers the most, but this idea that wearing another one is anything other just putting some fabric on your head is just silly.

Meh, I call bologna.

I'm a Brewers fan. Only Brewers when it comes to baseball. I would not wear a Phillies hat to a game, if they were playing the Phillies. But I have a few hats. I have a Phillies hat, I have an old Expos hat. I have a Cubs hat. I have a Cardinals hat. I wear them when I want to wear a hat and don't want to wear the same one every day. I liked the styling of the logo. There is no science to which one I wear, I wear the Brewers the most, but this idea that wearing another one is anything other just putting some fabric on your head is just silly.

Yet, you wouldn't wear a Phillies hat to a Phillies/Brewers game.... just some fabric, whatever.

You could always buy more MLB gear with Cubs game ticket $.

Hey! Good Call! Maybe I'll do that. Of course I would only buy Brewer gear. I actually have no desire to wear another team's apparel (I think the last time I did that was when I purchased a Rockies hat in their expansion year). At the same time I'm not going to judge another person's "fandom" based on the fact that they may occasionally want to wear another team's hat.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Twisting words....

Wear whatever you like. Most could not care less. Where did I ever tell you what to wear? I'm not. Yet, you tell me how to think. You ironically are the absolutist. In your world, your views are right and I am wrong. In mine, yours are silly, and mine make sense.

Moreover, I will be confused by your allegiance to a certain team when several teams hats in the same sport and league are worn. Most would be.

Rick, it was the dismissive and combative stance you took with every post in this thread.

Here's what you said:

If National and American Leagues were still separate (no interleague), I could see wearing another cap of the opposing league team. Now, there is no excuse.

To a Brewers fan who actually lives in Kansas City and goes to Royals games, you dismissed his interest in wearing a Royals cap by saying:

Sounds like a typical front runner...

Royals = recent WS and playoffs

To another poster, you declared:

you are what you are, and that would be a supporter of other teams

Then you declared your hero as someone who said:

You can tell me again how open minded you are, but all of those statements say otherwise. You could have said "I would never wear another team's hat, because I think it would show disloyalty to the Brewers." Instead, you pointed your finger at other people and judged us without knowing anything else about us.

Man, I feel like I am being JUDGED.

Ok, my stance again is that great fans support their team. They don't waiver in support during rebuilds and find a better hip team to cheer for, don't sell great seats to the top rival fan base for profit, and don't wear other opponent teams' gear. So that mere opinion is not ok? We can not go back and forth on a disagreement? Don't you see that you are not as open-minded as you think you are? I value others' opinion on the matter, but when they turn on me and call me a judge or close-minded for giving my honest opinion of a specific baseball topic/situation/comment, that reeks of hypocrisy.

Archived