Brewer Fanatic

25 Man Roster

FVBrewerFan
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Garza is getting his 4th start today, just like the others. Peralta has been in the WBC. But why has Nelson only had 2 outings? Did I miss something (minor league start, injury)?

Off days schedule line up in such a way that Jimmy didn't get game action.

Obviously subject to change, but if I had to pick now.

C- Bandy

1B- Thames

2B- Villar

3B- Shaw

SS- Arcia

LF - Braun

CF- Broxton

RF- Santana

SP- Davies, Guerra, Peralta, Nelson, Anderson

RP- Garza, Milone, Chamberlain, Torres, Feliz, Cravy, Marinez

Bench- Pina, Perez, Aguilar, Nieuwenhuis, De Jesus Jr

I know De Jesus is nothing offensively, but he has played every infield position and at least a little outfield. Gennett has the better bat, but he's a 2B only. I like Scooter, but given how much the team seems to value versatility, he just doesn't offer it.

Just my 2 cents.

Garza is getting his 4th start today, just like the others. Peralta has been in the WBC. But why has Nelson only had 2 outings? Did I miss something (minor league start, injury)?

Off days schedule line up in such a way that Jimmy didn't get game action.

Nelson's potential trade value far, far exceeds Garza's at this point. It would be foolish to not give him a mulligan for the last 3-4 months of 2016. If he's that guy again, replace him with Hader or Jungmann or Milone.

It's just time to move on from Garza.

I think they need to keep as many Starting Pitchers as possible and let them work it out with their performance. I think this is the perfect year to do a piggyback system with the 2nd, 4th and 5th starters. Whichever of the six piggyback pitchers shine the brightest, pull the piggyback off of them and add the other to the bullpen. Here is what I would do...

Opening Day Line Up (8)

2B- Villar

CF- Broxton

LF - Braun

3B- Shaw

RF- Santana

1B- Thames

SS- Arcia

C- Bandy

Bench (5)

C- Pina

U- Perez

1B- Aguilar

U- Gennett

OF- Nieuwenhuis

Starting Pitchers with Piggyback Pitcher (8)

1- Guerra

2- Peralta, Anderson

3- Davies

4- Garza, Milone

5- Nelson, Cravy

Relief Pitchers (4)

9- Feliz

8- Chamberlain

7- Torres

U- Marinez

With it sounding like they are going to keep all 6 starters on the roster, it seems like the opening day roster is pretty much set.

There are a couple of possible surprises (DeJesus over Gennett, Susac over Bandy, Barnes getting optioned, 13 pitchers), but for the most part, I'd say it is looking like:

C: Bandy, Pina

IF: Aguilar, Arcia, Gennett, Perez, Shaw, Thames, Villar

OF: Braun, Broxton, Nieuwenhuis, Santana

SP: Davies, Garza, Guerra, Nelson, Peralta

RP: Anderson, Barnes, Feliz, Knebel, Marinez, Milone, Torres

I'm not really surprised about Chamberlain. It was a nice idea, but given his track record over the last several seasons (even his good year last year could be argued wasn't more impressive than what Cravy and Scahill did at the end of the year for the Brewers) he was always going to have to force his way onto the team, and that didn't happen.

Blazek sounds pretty upset, but if he's surprised, he shouldn't be. He wasn't good last year and wasn't good in spring, and he had an option. It's business. I'm sure he's disappointed but at this point he needs to head to Colorado Springs and do his job. Chances are he'll be up at some point.

blazek will be in the same position next year that jesus aguilar is in this season--out of minor league options, but able to be outrighted to the minor leagues if no other team claims him and places him on their 25-man roster. these kind of factors usually work in the player's favor of being put on a 25-man roster.

I will boldly say that Wren makes the team and that the Brewers find a trading partner for Gennett or even Hernan for the right price. The other day when someone asked Counsell about Wren, he said "it's March 19," implying that many things can still happen.

I will boldly say that Wren makes the team and that the Brewers find a trading partner for Gennett or even Hernan for the right price. The other day when someone asked Counsell about Wren, he said "it's March 19," implying that many things can still happen.

I would prefer a Scooter trade as well, and I like Wren, but I think he's a long shot. I wouldn't read much into Counsell's comments. There's not much else he can say if asked directly. He did a pretty good job skirting it, he can't make it sound like he's got a spot, nor make it sound like he's got little chance.

On Blazek, the gist of what I got to sum it up is that we asked him to throw more fastballs in spring training, he did, he did poorly, and we demoted him, and he thinks we demoted him because of his poor spring and says he likes to mix it up and not throw so many fastballs.

Nelson with a very strong outing today. Anderson and Peralta have had good springs. I just don't buy the rationale that Garza is a better option than any of Guerra, Davies, Nelson, Anderson, or Peralta. Garza still might be adequate back end starter, but his potential trade value is minimal. Having Garza stick around as reliever? The Cubs did that with Edwin Jackson in 2015 and he didn't do badly but they still released him a couple months in to give opportunities to other guys.

Blazek sounds pretty upset, but if he's surprised, he shouldn't be. He wasn't good last year and wasn't good in spring, and he had an option. It's business. I'm sure he's disappointed but at this point he needs to head to Colorado Springs and do his job. Chances are he'll be up at some point.

He needs to take a bigger view. He was awful last year. He's lucky to still have a spot on the 40 man. He still might not hold on to that if they need a spot for Scahill who's been outstanding this spring.

No surprise on either really. I like Marinez, pretty underrated low cost pickup. Guerra was the pick up that Stearns really nailed but Marinez was a good one too.

Only question on Pina is whether he will be the starter or backup? I would anticipate it will be close to a split to start the season but in Pina's favor, until him or Bandy establishes themselves as the guy.

I can't handle Pina playing more than a couple times a week if Brian hasn't learned that his last name isn't Pena.

Kind of a fail on FSWI. Pretty sure it is someone's job to go over this stuff and they can't even tell him the correct pronunciation of a Brewers player. I still don't get it tough. Why pronounce it like Pena? Are we all missing something here?

Archived