Brewer Fanatic

25 Man Roster

FVBrewerFan

Deep enough into ST that I figured it's time for the 25 man roster discussion. Here's what I have so far:

C- Bandy

1B- Thames

2B- Villar

3B- Shaw

SS- Arcia

OF- Braun, Broxton, Santana

Bench: Pina, Perez, Nieuwenhuis, Gennett, Aguilar

Rotation- Guerra, Davies, Nelson, Peralta, Anderson

Pen- Suter, Barnes, Torres, Marinez, Knebel, Blazek, Cravy

Garza DFAd. Rivera needs ABs every day in AAA if he ever has a chance to become even a decent hitter. Tough call for last spot in the pen, but leaning towards Jungman and Milone getting sent down.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deep enough into ST that I figured it's time for the 25 man roster discussion. Here's what I have so far:

C- Bandy

1B- Thames

2B- Villar

3B- Shaw

SS- Arcia

Garza DFAd. Rivera needs ABs every day in AAA if he ever has a chance to become even a decent hitter. Tough call for last spot in the pen, but leaning towards Jungman and Milone getting sent down.

Not happening.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I agree with most of it but I do agree with Brew that Garza won't be DFA, not yet anyway.

Since he's not blocking anyone of significance I'm not sure it makes great business sense to just dump him now when you're literally throwing 13M away by doing that. They'll try to salvage something for him, even if that's just riding it out with him until the end of July or August and seeing if he can do enough to at least just basically give him away to a rotation needy contender and save the last few million that he's owed the rest of the season.

If he totally bombs the first half and it's obvious no one will have interest, I could see him being DFA'ed in July or August.

Missing Feliz

Think Milone and Joba (over Suter, Cravy, and Blazek) make the pen, because Counsell like a veteran presence out there. I'd be surprised if Garza gets cut over optioning one of Nelson/Anderson. They all project about the same but that keeps the most bodies to start the year.

I really didn't believe they would or should DFA Garza until now. I just don't see the value in keeping him around hoping you can flip him later this year. Sure, there's a 5% chance or whatever it is of that happening. In the meantime, he's taking starts away from someone who has a much better chance of either being part of the future or flipped.

They have to pay him no matter what, I wouldn't compound the problem by having a dead man walking in the clubhouse. Would you rather have Anderson getting starts or Garza?

Agree with ZBTMP on the bullpen, think Nelson is the one that get sent down and Garza keeps his job for now. Even though Reed has options I actually think Reed and Aguilar are fighting it out for not only a spot on the 25 man roster but also the 40 man roster as somebody will have to be removed if Joba makes the team.

I can't shake the feeling that they're going to do something crazy like go with a 6 man rotation. That means a 13 man pitching staff, no Aquilar, and Perez or Gennett backing up 1B.

i'm not ready to make a prediction of a full roster just yet, but i do feel confident that no player on a minor league deal will have his contract selected in the days leading up to the 25-man roster deadline prior to opening day.

i'm not ready to make a prediction of a full roster just yet, but i do feel confident that no player on a minor league deal will have his contract selected in the days leading up to the 25-man roster deadline prior to opening day.

Out of curiosity, why? Last season, the same management purchased both Capuano and Boyer’s contract (and cleared a spot for Torres). Not to mention, they eventually put NRIs of Pressley and Elmore on the roster at points. They already can push Houser to the 60 day to clear a spot without losing anybody.

The difference is that the 40 man isn't full of a bunch of dead weight that can easily be cut like last year. I don't recall an injured minor leaguer ever being placed on the 60 day DL. I think Joba is really the only one who has a shot at being added, but is he better than the guy you would cut and risk losing?

C- Bandy

1B- Thames

2B- Villar

3B- Shaw

SS- Arcia

You are very close. Only changes I would make are Milone and either Scahill/Chamberlain over Suter and Blazek. All signs are pointing to Garza not making the final cut.

The difference is that the 40 man isn't full of a bunch of dead weight that can easily be cut like last year. I don't recall an injured minor leaguer ever being placed on the 60 day DL. I think Joba is really the only one who has a shot at being added, but is he better than the guy you would cut and risk losing?

He's better than Blazek though Scahill might be better than both.. Garza's roster spot will be available too.

C- Bandy

1B- Thames

2B- Villar

3B- Shaw

SS- Arcia

You are very close. Only changes I would make are Milone and either Scahill/Chamberlain over Suter and Blazek. All signs are pointing to Garza not making the final cut.

Actually I forgot all about Feliz for some reason. Add him, remove Blazek. I think Suter stays as the only LH. That's today, I think that final BP spot is up for grabs until the day before Opening Day. (And we may be the only ones who think Garza will be cut.)

I don't recall an injured minor leaguer ever being placed on the 60 day DL. I think Joba is really the only one who has a shot at being added, but is he better than the guy you would cut and risk losing?

Yhonathan Barrios last season? May have been against the rules to option him though, but Houser last pitched in the majors so I don't see a difference.

We've already been fed a bunch of stories about Joba sharing his wisdom with younger players, and Counsell saying "he has proven he can major leaguers out". His contract is reminiscent of a NRI they want on the team with his MLB salary already worked out (Capuano, Reynolds, Overbay).

I don't recall an injured minor leaguer ever being placed on the 60 day DL.

i don't either. one has to keep in mind that in addition to that injured player being called up (not to report) and earning major league pay and major league service time, the club also has to pay the salary of the player taking that injured player's vacated spot on the 40-man and/or 25-man roster.

If simply waived and not traded. Wouldn't a team who claimed Garza be on the hook for 550k of his salary and the Brewers the rest? As well as they gain his option control? So talking letting him walk and a team potentially pick him up for 2 years/1.5million or 2/5.5million?

C- Bandy

1B- Thames

2B- Villar

3B- Shaw

SS- Arcia

What signs are these that we will be moving on from Garza?

I like scahill and am really surprised no one picked him up when he was taken off the 40 man. I've never been impressed with the so called veterans that the Brewers bring to camp. Every year the young guys out pitch them and what reward do they get... a return trip to AAA. Really doesn't make any sense on a rebuilding team but trying to create veteran value from nothing is something Stearns likes to do. Getting that 1 out of 10 trade chip makes Stearns the stellar gm that fans want. For a guy that doesnt have much MLB experience, it will be interesting to see how long the Stearns tenure lasts. Why not create value with the young guys?

Garza had the third higher fWAR among Brewer starters last year. His FIP- was 101 which is basically 2/3 territory. His ERA- was 105. People have not adjusted to the new scoring environment, a 4.50 ERA is decent. If Garza is healthy he is a solid pitcher. As a person he seems to be pretty big jerk and I would hardly be upset if the Brewers traded him. But he is worth his contract if not $5 million or so more so I don't get the idea of just releasing him. And if he isn't traded during the season and is just average or below, he suddenly becomes a 3/4 starter on a one year $5 million contract.

I'd be really surprised if Garza is cut give the end to his season. With a team not expected to compete you want o maximize your assets so you have to give him a go until he fails.

The other starters all have better potential for return in a deal than Garza. It's that simple. Beyond that though, based on how they are using guys this spring, it's pretty obvious that Garza is 6th right now and this thread is a prediction of what they will do not an opinion of what they should do. Even if Garza pitched OK, he still won't be high on teams lists for an upgrade at the deadline.

I don't think it is obvious at all. I do agree it is a prediction of what they will do and not what we want which is why the vast majority are saying Garza is sticking around. To me there is no reason to believe they will be getting rid of Garza right now.

Garza is getting his 4th start today, just like the others. Peralta has been in the WBC. But why has Nelson only had 2 outings? Did I miss something (minor league start, injury)?

Archived