Brewer Fanatic

Catcher battle

MVP2110
Susac is brutal. Brutal. There is no reason to have him on the 40 man. You have pina vogt bandy. Nottingham is still young. Protecting him makes sense but Susac is not good or young. You can trade for a farm hand just as good for a pizza and a case of beer. The most glaring *** on the 40 man by a large amount.

I agree that guys like drake webb can go. Baker is logical.

Hell Guerra Wang and Lopez can go too.

But susac literally offers nothing. I'd rather they let perez catch. We know perez can't pitch better than the arms. I'd set perez at the -300 favorite at being a more impactful C than susac.

Have you bothered to look at Susac's history or did you just lock in on his 2017 injury riddled season? 1 catcher (Susac or Bandy most likely) will be traded since they're not carrying 5 heading into the season but thinking Bandy is comfortably sitting on the 40 while Susac is the biggest pile of deuce you've ever seen is absurd.

How do we allow this guy to keep talking down to people like this... not to mention he isnt even correct. Just mouthy arrogant condescending and rude... post after post.

Despite the tone(and really I don't find it that bad considering what you wrote previously), he makes good points about Susac. The guy was a very solid hitter most of his career in the minors, and is also very solid at blocking pitches. While he had a down year at the plate last year(his injury issues in 2017 have been well documented), he improved his CS rate significantly. Catchers are closer to pitchers than position players from a development standpoint as so much goes into developing a good catcher on the defensive side. You, like many people, have subscribed to the "what have you done for me lately" evaluation philosophy. You probably saw some lousy at bats in Milwaukee and subpar hitting numbers in Colorado Springs...and ignored his prior body of work and threw a bunch of very harsh labels at him.

Susac probably has an inside track on that final 40 man spot given he has an option. The loser of Bandy vs Vogt for the 2nd catcher spot will likely be traded or DFA'd, while Susac opens in CS as a backup in case of injury. It also, based on the body of work I outlined above, would not be surprising for Susac to bounce back from an injury riddled season and provide some value to the big league club next year.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you can see he was spoken to so I guess thats wrong.

As for me being some what have you done for me lately guy...glad you also chimed in to tell me what I must think! Its wasn't just last year where susac has done nothing that a 4A catcher can't do. In the ingame threads people pleaded for him to be pulled every time he got in. Was awful defensively. Was awful at the plate. Was awful framing pitches. He was hurt... so badly that he didn't belong on field apparently, in any way. Trap stiffness shouldn't make you look lost as a player. This guys been passed over at every possible chance. I don't care that he was once a hyped prospect, i guess you do, he simply isn't good. It's not merely last year either. He's a 40 man keep because he can't beat out our other 3 catchers. Think about that. Bandy is a borderline backup to this point. Vogt was sought as an upgrade. Chance after chance... yeah give me the other guy. There will be a fa sitting at home or a triple aaa hold over that stearns could land for a bag of balls who could fill in at C if it came to it who is better than susac. He's kept simply due to the fact that our system doesn't have a catcher less than 3 years away.

Again... 28 this year. Passed over multiple times... behind pina vogt (who we brought back) AND BANDY! All he is is clutter on the 40 man. Valuable because he can be stashed? The moment his options are gone so is he. Someone will scoop him and try to demote him for the same reason. We'll use him if injuries force us to. He developed fast early got hyped and since then all hes done is get older. Everyone around him got better he stayed the same. 4A. But some trap tightness that lasted all year and didn't show up on an mri... that's whats holding him back from looking like a competent mlb backup. That's an excuse. I'm sure that's also going to magically go away as well? You can't beat out Bandy, you get Vogt brought in because Bandy isn't good... you aren't good. Unicorn injury or not. Please don't pretend you haven't played besides guys with casted broken limbs and wrecked backs who while limted still were competent on the field.

Just sign a guy to a milb offer and free the 40 man spot. You dont lose a thing in the process. You probably get a better player and a 40 man spot. He's simply so bad that it actually makes you wonder if perez could do better. No mlb catcher raises that question.

Susac is brutal. Brutal. There is no reason to have him on the 40 man. You have pina vogt bandy. Nottingham is still young. Protecting him makes sense but Susac is not good or young. You can trade for a farm hand just as good for a pizza and a case of beer. The most glaring *** on the 40 man by a large amount.

I agree that guys like drake webb can go. Baker is logical.

Hell Guerra Wang and Lopez can go too.

But susac literally offers nothing. I'd rather they let perez catch. We know perez can't pitch better than the arms. I'd set perez at the -300 favorite at being a more impactful C than susac.

Have you bothered to look at Susac's history or did you just lock in on his 2017 injury riddled season? 1 catcher (Susac or Bandy most likely) will be traded since they're not carrying 5 heading into the season but thinking Bandy is comfortably sitting on the 40 while Susac is the biggest pile of deuce you've ever seen is absurd.

How do we allow this guy to keep talking down to people like this... not to mention he isnt even correct. Just mouthy arrogant condescending and rude... post after post.

Maybe take a step back and re-read what you said in general as well as about Susac - all while providing *zero* reasoning, evidence or context. And "post after post" would literally mean every single post. So that's a lie.

Additionally, the etiquette rules here are hypocritical. Why allow any poster to criticize, in whatever fashion they deem necessary, a player/coach/etc but not allow it toward other posters in response to said criticism? This is a perfect example. You have no issues speaking extremely harshly and rude about a player (Susac), while also citing zero evidence, but when someone calls you out for it then you cry foul citing that tone to be unacceptable for this board. I don't subscribe to that line of thought so if I'm removed from this site as a result then so be it. Which is the only reason Homer said anything - because of your complaint. If what I said was mouthy, arrogant, condescending and rude then Homer would be copy/pasting his response all day every day on this site because I've called other comments absurd before and so have other people and nobody was ever warned for being condescending.

On to your last post in response to KeithStone. The following are the reasons you deem Susac to be the biggest *** on the 40 man and worth the value of a pizza and some beer (your words, not mine):

1 - other people on the in-game threads wanted him pulled every game he played (12 AB - 1 start this year. Stearns also knows significantly more than any poster on this site and has access to plenty of resources to help him make the best decisions possible)

2 - awful defensively, batting, framing (no evidence cited nor context provided even though Susac has career MLB 91 OPS+ vs Bandy 78 and wRC+ speaks to their minor league careers, which Susac is better overall outside of 2017 - KeithStone already discussed the defense aspect but Bandy threw out 17% of runners for Brewers with 5 PB and 16 WP in 44 starts/50 games while Susac with 6 PB, 21 WP throwing out 35% of runners in AAA in 150 more innings caught. Bandy is 29% CS MLB career and Susac 25%. if Susac is *awful* then what is Bandy?)

3 - has been passed over every chance (HOF Posey in front of him until 2017 then injured in ST this year in first legitimate opportunity then Vogt acquired coming off back to back AS appearances, also a lefty and veteran clubhouse leader, which all played a role in his acquisition)

4 - will be 28 next year combined with all the above (he's literally 4 days older than Bandy)

Susac also has 1 option left whereas Bandy has 0.

At this point, Pina/Vogt are the MLB catchers, everyone can agree on this. So please cite (interviews, official Brewers statements, etc) where Bandy is said to be, in concrete, currently the #3 catcher in the org and locked for the 40 man while Susac is not. The Brewers own website says otherwise actually...

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/?c_id=mil

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Guys, this is a perfect opportunity to just let it go. I posted the rules of etiquette, messaged a few of you privately, and you still continue to flaunt the rules. We haven't warned anyone officially about stuff like this is a long time because for the most part people are civil. But that can change in a hurry. Please, just be normal humans.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived