Brewer Fanatic

Catcher battle

MVP2110
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know where Vogt is at with his injury? I would think he's a few weeks away, but we sure could use him right now.

brewers.com update from 30 july projects possibly late august. if that's the case, there won't be many minor league games left for him to appear in on rehab.

apparently, vogt is targeting mid-august for his return.

Vogt is expected back within 2 weeks. At that time Susac will be sent back down. If Bandy is healthy, he'll be back up in September and since he'll be coming off the DL he'd still be postseason eligible if they choose that route. Can't see the need for more than 3 catchers so Susac will likely be limited to 3-4 starts max.

advantage to craig counsell splitting the catching duties more evenly to start the season: manny pina is more rested and better able to handle the grind of starting four of the last five games since jett bandy hit the disabled list.

Susac is really bad. I'd DFA him now, and purchase Rene Garcia. Garcia has the look of Manny Pina lite.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Watching Susac reminds me sometimes how little prospect rankings mean. I'm sure eventually he'll hit a little bit but he's pretty bad at receiving a baseball. Just not fluid in the slightest.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

vogt starts his rehab tonight. three games with class a team, and then three games with class aaa team. just my luck, his rehab assignment will likely end in des moines on thursday, one day before i'm going to see the sky sox play.

.182 / .182 / .364 slash line for vogt over three games with the timber rattlers. should be on his way to des moines to join the sky sox, who start play there tomorrow.

vogt starts his rehab tonight. three games with class a team, and then three games with class aaa team. just my luck, his rehab assignment will likely end in des moines on thursday, one day before i'm going to see the sky sox play.

.182 / .182 / .364 slash line for vogt over three games with the timber rattlers. should be on his way to des moines to join the sky sox, who start play there tomorrow.

I'm not certain his slash line is terribly important as a measuring tool for a three game period while coming off injury.

Our minor league catchers....good gracious.

There is some promise when you look at the lower levels, like a Mario Feliciano, Peyton Henry, and maybe even KJ Harrison.

Feliciano got off to a hot start and leveled off, but I think he is only 18 years old in class A. He's young and may have gotten worn out. If he builds up, he has a shot. Peyton Henry was a kid out of Utah preps that I was excited we drafted in 2016. He has nice tools. KJ Harrison is interesting. He has been highly touted even coming out of high school. He does nothing but hit. But in college, he did not catch as much as some of the initial rankings anticipated. The question is whether he can do the job defensively. If he works hard and puts the time in, you never know.

I'd agree that I would love to see a premium draft pick and/or high value international signing here. Catcher is a tough spot to fill and having a two-way catcher is a huge plus.

four catchers on the active roster right now. i'm trying to determine if that has ever happened with the brewers.

I feel like there were when Salome was a September callup.

yes, thank you.

in 2009, the brewers had been carrying jason kendall and mike rivera as their primary catchers all season. on 1 september, vinny rottino was recalled, and angel salome had his contract selected.

interestingly, that gave the brewers five catchers on the 40-man. that was short-lived, as lou palmisano was designated for assignment five days later.

four catchers on the active roster right now. i'm trying to determine if that has ever happened with the brewers.

I feel like there were when Salome was a September callup.

yes, thank you.

in 2009, the brewers had been carrying jason kendall and mike rivera as their primary catchers all season. on 1 september, vinny rottino was recalled, and angel salome had his contract selected.

interestingly, that gave the brewers five catchers on the 40-man. that was short-lived, as lou palmisano was designated for assignment five days later.

I was actually working a concession stand at Miller Park on September 1 that year. We were shutting down for the night when the 10,000 or so fans started cheering in the bottom of the 9th for what seemed like no reason. We walked out to the seating area to see that it was just Vinny Rottino pinch hitting.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was actually working a concession stand at Miller Park on September 1 that year. We were shutting down for the night when the 10,000 or so fans started cheering in the bottom of the 9th for what seemed like no reason. We walked out to the seating area to see that it was just Vinny Rottino pinch hitting.

Vinny actually wrapped up his career after the 2016 season - 14 years as a player. Minor leagues, Korea, Japan and the Majors all on his resume. Pretty cool for a non drafted free agent who hails from Racine and played at UW-La Crosse.

Vinny was a scout for the Rangers this past year.

• 2 months later...
with the deadline to add players to the 40-man roster lest they be eligible for the rule 5 draft just days away, and with jacob nottingham rule 5 eligible if he's not added to the 40-man by 7:00 central monday night, i'm surprised that the brewers are still carrying four catchers on their 40-man.

Archived