Brewer Fanatic

Catcher battle

MVP2110
point made on brewers.com that i didn't even consider until i read it: when you trade your starting catcher (martin maldonado) for another catcher, you likely don't intend for that acquisition to be playing in the minors, or even playing as a backup with the big league club.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
point made on brewers.com that i didn't even consider until i read it: when you trade your starting catcher (martin maldonado) for another catcher, you likely don't intend for that acquisition to be playing in the minors, or even playing as a backup with the big league club.

Might be true if we were competing, but not really true in a rebuild. We likely traded Maldonado for Bandy in order to gain a younger guy with higher upside and more team control. Whether he starts in the MLB this year or next year was probably a secondary focus at the time of the trade.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

i'm trying to remember when the brewers last tried to more evenly split catching duties . . . 2003 with keith osik and eddie "he hit the pole! he hit the pole!" perez?

craig counsell hints that 2017 catching duties will be split more evenly.

They will only be split until one guy starts smacking the ball around the park and then the decision will be pretty easy for Counsell.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

different management back then, but if i recall correctly, for the most part, eddie perez caught for the same three starters and keith osik for the other two. i sincerely doubt that counsell will be taking the approach of designated catcher for certain starters.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If you are splitting catcher's playing time, tying them to certain SPs is the normal way to do it. Doesn't have to be 100%, but it makes sense to allow a pitcher to get comfortable with one instead of swapping them around all the time.

So not trying to hijack the Will Smith thread. Some talk was to why arent these catchers taking reps at 1b? Having 3 catchers make the roster. Think of it positively, which of Bandy/Susac starts at AAA, will do so with catching Hader, Woodruff, Jungmann, maybe Lopez and Im sure Im forgetting some. But he'll get reps with them. Say one of them take a personal liking to having him catch his starts, that may produce earlier success when they reach the ML team. Its not like the Brewers are stuck with 3 catchers til their contracts end. Trading 1 of the 3 by this deadline and replacing with the 3rd, at a time youd think Hader or Woodruff would be called up. The winner between the 3 may just be who starts in AAA andgets reps with the future, vs the rebuilders.

Yeah, there's no reason to go with 3 right now. Just not enough versatility there. Even if you could stick one of them at 1st in a pinch, that's not even really useful enough with then likely being behind Thames, Shaw, and maybe even Aguilar there.

Susac will head to AAA if healthy and be up soon enough if he produces there.

What Brewer pitcher was it that just seemed to have the worst chemistry and communication with Lucroy? Randy Wolf? They seemed to need mound visits every inning.

Peralta was always bad. Wolf was bad as well.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

So not trying to hijack the Will Smith thread. Some talk was to why arent these catchers taking reps at 1b? Having 3 catchers make the roster. Think of it positively, which of Bandy/Susac starts at AAA, will do so with catching Hader, Woodruff, Jungmann, maybe Lopez and Im sure Im forgetting some. But he'll get reps with them. Say one of them take a personal liking to having him catch his starts, that may produce earlier success when they reach the ML team. Its not like the Brewers are stuck with 3 catchers til their contracts end. Trading 1 of the 3 by this deadline and replacing with the 3rd, at a time youd think Hader or Woodruff would be called up. The winner between the 3 may just be who starts in AAA andgets reps with the future, vs the rebuilders.

Even if the catcher isn't called up later, I like having a solid catcher at AAA working with the young, talented pitching prospects.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 2 months later...
What Brewer pitcher was it that just seemed to have the worst chemistry and communication with Lucroy? Randy Wolf? They seemed to need mound visits every inning.

Peralta was always bad. Wolf was bad as well.

I know this is an old comment but it simply is not a true comment. Randy Wolf was a pretty average pitcher. He had a positive WAR every year of his career until his final 2 seasons with the Marlins. His career ERA was 4.24 which is certainly not amazing but it isn't bad either. His first 2 seasons with the Brewers he was a definite positive to the team. He pitched poorly in 2012 and had TJ at the end of the year which is probably the main cause of his poor performance.

anyone recall the last time in-season the brewers carried four catchers on the 40-man roster?

i think it was 2011.

to start the 2011 season, the brewers had martin maldonado optioned, jonathan lucroy on the 15-day disabled list, and opened the season with wil nieves and george kottaras on the 25-man roster.

on 21 april 2011, kottaras was outrighted to the minor leagues, bringing it back to three catchers on the 40-man.

but on 17 may 2011, mike rivera had his contract purchased by the brewers, to make it four catchers again on the 40-man, before being outrighted 10 days later (if i recall correctly, he was brought up for one day, and then was designated for assignment right after the game, and later outrighted).

nieves was outrighted in june, and the brewers brought kottaras back again . . . but at that point, they were down to three catchers on the 40-man.

• 1 month later...

Archived