Brewer Fanatic

Thornburg and the Red Sox shoulder program

greeg35

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/2017/03/silverman_tyler_thornburg_endures_rough_adjustment_to_sox_shoulder_program#.WMUNWlIsOEo.twitter

I'm interested in the differences between the Red Sox and Brewers program. I would think there would be a relatively standard approach to pitcher shoulder maintenance. Is this excessive or progressive by the Sox or is the Brewers program lacking?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

What was it about Thornburg's performance in 2016 that makes the Red Sox want to make a drastic change in his routine? Not every athlete responds well to a one size fits all program. Ultimately it's his body and his career. Seems to me they are playing with fire.

There is nothing wrong with trying something new but new isn't always better. I don't know how long they have been doing it nor what data there is to show it is better than any other program. It would be interesting to see if they have less arm injuries than other teams. One has to wonder though if they are all in on this why not tell Thornburg to do all of them daily instead of just sending him a list of exercises? They may be on the cutting edge of shoulder maintenance but they also appear to be behind the times on communication.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

They'd better hope Thornburg's muscles "get used to it" quickly. Spring training is half over. I agree with Thurston that they seem to be pretty bad at communicating the program. For a team that can easily spend $200M in payroll, you'd think they could have afforded to send a trainer to Thornburg's home town for a few days after the trade to get him started on the program early.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived