Brewer Fanatic

The Investment Thread

wallus

• 1 month later...
https://www.google.com/amp/mashable.com/2017/03/24/ethereum-bitcoin-explainer.amp

Im very intrigued with Ethereum. I have a couple developers that work for me and they brought it up in conversation a few months ago. I bought a bunch of shares last month at $11, now sits over $48.

It's the future and some big organizations have been backing it including some Fortune 500 banks

Wow, price over $170 today

Looks like car manufacturers are exploring using the technology for driverless cars

• 4 weeks later...
I now own 6.8% of a bitcoin!

Is that a good thing? Seems to fluctuate a lot.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 4 months later...

I was up 38.5% with a stock. Then they had a cash merger and I lost $1.73 in total.

I'd been hoping to pay off my student loans within two years, but life happened and I'm still a year away. Pretty anxious, as any delay costs me a lot of compound interest. I may be a year away.

Wow, work season and life really put me behind in investing this year. I did buy Schneider around 18 during their IPO. Loving that it's not only up, but paying dividends. An IPO stock I had bought/sold for a 30%+ gain, jumped 100+% recently in one day...but I'm not mad. Another I sold for 30+% gain is down near 90% from their 52 week high. I did buy in long term with the value, Probably 3 times the shares as before but half the cost. Pretty huge 1year ride, so I think I'll win on that down the road. Going to get back in to studying some IPOs as seasonal work ended. Update down the road on progress.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This bull market is insane. Seems that right about the time everyone starts talking about when it will end is about the time it will end. So any day now?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This bull market is insane. Seems that right about the time everyone starts talking about when it will end is about the time it will end. So any day now?

I have been predicting a recession for 3 years.

Thank goodness my auto contributions have saved me from myself.

• 3 weeks later...
https://www.google.com/amp/mashable.com/2017/03/24/ethereum-bitcoin-explainer.amp

Im very intrigued with Ethereum. I have a couple developers that work for me and they brought it up in conversation a few months ago. I bought a bunch of shares last month at $11, now sits over $48.

It's the future and some big organizations have been backing it including some Fortune 500 banks

Wow, price over $170 today

Looks like car manufacturers are exploring using the technology for driverless cars

Hope some people bought a couple shares, price over $461 now, if this doubles one more time, I’m retiring way earlier than expected

ive made about 10% profit (or 5 bucks a share) on Spirit airlines in the last month, and I think it'll run to 45 before Spring. It was about 60 back in the summer then fell off a cliff. It doesn't pay a dividend, but there's money to be made if any of youse guys are risk takers like me.

edit: bad at math

I've been eying Harley Davidson down here as a tax seller play. Also ROKU on a pullback as a longer term timeframe play, i'd like to see it be supported a bit longer and earnings trend continue before taking the plunge. Much higher risk play with more upside.

I hope you folks that bought ETH cheap are still holding.......i'd definitely have derisked myself some by now but wow.

Can anyone explain what the heck Bitcoin is to me in simple terms? I just don't get it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Bitcoin is now over $7000. Yikes!

Doubled in over a month. Insane.

Bitcoin is an alternate global currency. Not sure how they evaluate the "value" of a coin, but seems like its value is based on stock-market like speculation (probably most similar to gold/precious metals). Right now it's value is being run up by pure speculation, like the real-estate flipping boom of 2005-2007 on steroids.

Bitcoin uses blockchain to determine ownership, which is actually the interesting part of it. Blockchain is like a transparent, permanent ledger that cannot be changed. When all parties sign off on a transaction it gets entered into the "blockchain" and no one can delete it. Blockchain has the ability to drastically cut transaction costs/time. Think of buying a house - all of the money you spend on title insurance is for manual research of title history to make sure that nobody has a lien/claim on the title. If there were an open, transparent, permanent ledger that shows all historical transactions involving the title... no, or at least very minimal, title insurance costs and shorter closing time.

Bitcoin is now over $7000. Yikes!

Doubled in over a month. Insane.

Bitcoin is an alternate global currency. Not sure how they evaluate the "value" of a coin, but seems like its value is based on stock-market like speculation (probably most similar to gold/precious metals). Right now it's value is being run up by pure speculation, like the real-estate flipping boom of 2005-2007 on steroids.

Bitcoin uses blockchain to determine ownership, which is actually the interesting part of it. Blockchain is like a transparent, permanent ledger that cannot be changed. When all parties sign off on a transaction it gets entered into the "blockchain" and no one can delete it. Blockchain has the ability to drastically cut transaction costs/time. Think of buying a house - all of the money you spend on title insurance is for manual research of title history to make sure that nobody has a lien/claim on the title. If there were an open, transparent, permanent ledger that shows all historical transactions involving the title... no, or at least very minimal, title insurance costs and shorter closing time.

Thanks! Okay, so I buy some. Can I sell it and make actual money? I have heard that once you have it, you then need to buy things with the Bitcoin and can only purchase certain products that recognize that currency.

One of the supposed benefits of using bitcoin is safety. In fact, cryptocurrency was basically started because of distrust of institutions. However, it's not "unhackable":

http://www.zdnet.com/article/bitcoin-exchange-nicehash-hacked-70m-lost/

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-exchange-bitfinex-hacked-60-million-stolen-2016-8

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

This is what gets me - if Bitcoin uses blockchain, then if they are "stolen"/acquired illegally (i.e. ransom, etc.) then can't they be traced or shut down/turned off?

I'd be cautious of investing in Bitcoin right now. I could see governments collaborating to create a similar global currency with established value, which could drastically cut down on rampant inflation in 2nd/3rd world countries. Think of if the U.S. replaced the $100 with a similar "bitcoin" with ownership. Maybe a $1000 bill (yes, they used to exist) would be more likely, but "ownership" of that $100 bill is backed by blockchain. Each one has it's own unique identifier with digital transfer of ownership.

I could see that drastically reducing ransoms/ransomware. Hard to demand money illegally when it can be digitally traced and/or turned off and devalued. That's one of the big benefits of blockchain - reduction of fraud.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Futures market for bitcoin kicks off next week. Guessing there will be a TON of short activity.

And random non-financial friends on Facebook are starting to post about bitcoin. That's when you know it's time to cut and run.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Futures market for bitcoin kicks off next week. Guessing there will be a TON of short activity.

And random non-financial friends on Facebook are starting to post about bitcoin. That's when you know it's time to cut and run.

I've never owned any, too much hassle but I would have cut and run awhile back. Now that the helicopters are looking for their money I sense it may get very ugly in this clown operation soon.

Down the road I can definitely see this type of thing becoming mainstream, but like the tech bubble was ahead of its time I think this is ahead of its time. A couple (literally) will survive and get very big. The rest will probably be total fakes. What goes up must come........

How do you "cut and run" on this though? The way I see this thing is the only to use Bitcoin is to spend it. Am I wrong on that?

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.