Brewer Fanatic

World Baseball Classic - 2017

Eye Black
I was pretty excited about the game and preferred the US wins. The Olympics could be cancelled for good and I wouldn't bat an eye at it though. I've never really understood the Olympics.

What don't you understand? Not trying to convince you to like something you don't like, just curious what there is to understand?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I know is I was happy for Team USA when seeing Lucroy was playing for them, and hes part of why USA won its first ever WBC. A big part for Stroman's performance as he mentioned Lucroy and he being in a groove.

I'd feel more to the WBC if a Brewer were on the US team. Also better televised as I dont pay for MLB network. But whatever, congrats USA!

I was pretty excited about the game and preferred the US wins. The Olympics could be cancelled for good and I wouldn't bat an eye at it though. I've never really understood the Olympics.

What don't you understand? Not trying to convince you to like something you don't like, just curious what there is to understand?

For the most part it is watching people compete at things that nobody cares about outside of one month every 4 years.

For the most part it is watching people compete at things that nobody cares about outside of one month every 4 years.

That's what makes it fun for me is these events - especially in the winter - that you don't normally get to see, and athletes that may only get one crack at winning their event against the best competition in the world. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy both winter and summer Olympics.

I just can't get into watching something like synchronized swimming or gun shooting or lawn darts or whatever other silly events make their way into it. For men's sports at least it isn't even generally the best athletes in the world, it is the best athletes that didn't pick one of the dozens of more popular sports in the world.

Since different countries compete in different numbers of events it isn't really a win or lose competition either and now that there are tons of international, regional and continental competitions even for the smaller events the Olympics have lost their impact. I just don't see them as any sort of big deal like they were pre cable/internet when the world was a much bigger place.

I just can't get into watching something like synchronized swimming or gun shooting or lawn darts or whatever other silly events make their way into it. For men's sports at least it isn't even generally the best athletes in the world, it is the best athletes that didn't pick one of the dozens of more popular sports in the world.

Since different countries compete in different numbers of events it isn't really a win or lose competition either and now that there are tons of international, regional and continental competitions even for the smaller events the Olympics have lost their impact. I just don't see them as any sort of big deal like they were pre cable/internet when the world was a much bigger place.

I never said they were the best athletes in the world. They're seeing the best competition in the world at their given event.

Sure but when you look at say the fastest sprinter in the world there are years where they would have been beaten by someone else who just played a more profitable sport. It does take away from the event when they are only the best at it because the actual best is doing something else which means more to them.

It is like US soccer, nobody gives a crap about men's soccer in the US. The potentially best 10 soccer players in the US are all playing some other sport. It just waters down the product and makes it hard to care about.

Archived