Brewer Fanatic

World Baseball Classic - 2017

Eye Black
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With family vacationing in San Diego and attended the game last night. Fun game to watch with the come back, but was disapointed in the crowd size - 16,000, but they were very enthusiastic. Lots of U S A chants throughout the game. When we were in line for concessions before the game we heard someone say "Someone just tweeted that the upper deck sold out"...obviously a false tweet, unless they were talking about tonight's game between DR and Venezuela.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think it would depend. If we lost to the DR and PR beat Ven, it would still create a 3 way tie so we would need to win tiebreakers or a tiebreaker game.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

According to ESPN

Brewers right-hander Jorge Lopez, who reached the majors in 2015 and then struggled all season in the minors in 2016, will start against the Netherlands, his second start of the tournament.

So out of curiosity I went on the WBC site to check out ticket availability and prices for tonight's game. With the exception of a few dozen $450 seats available behind home plate, most of the remaining seats available are down the line or in the outfield. I would say about 4-5 thousand are left (with an additional 1 or 2 thousand for sale on stubhub). So, not a sell out, but appears that there will be a decent crowd.

I do find it funny that even the cheapest seats at $40 in the upper deck down the line are labeled as "Premium VIP" seats.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Nice! Next on the agenda, imo, make these games not so late. I realize its normal time for the west coast but thats not much consolation to everyone else.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I don't know if it's been argued already, but I like this shade of gray for an away uniform. Might be a bit hot in the dead of summer, though.

Why did Leyland bunt w/ Arenado up in the 4th with two on and nobody out?! Yostian over-managing there.

Nice! Next on the agenda, imo, make these games not so late. I realize its normal time for the west coast but thats not much consolation to everyone else.

Kind of like 10am Packer games for us on the west coast. Starting any earlier than 6pm on the west coast makes it impossible for most of us to see the beginning of the game.

Never going to make everyone happy I guess.

The EDT and CDT start time of the game would not be so bad if it didn't last 3.5 hours. Barring some bad injury that causes a long pause in the game, there is no reason a 9 inning game should take that long to complete. It was nice to see a 50K+ crowd at the game though.

It was nice to see USA win, and those guys bought into it. I think Leyland was a great manager choice as he played the guys who stuck with the team the entire time instead of those that were goin back and forth to their teams. Hopefully this experience will help down the line in recruiting for the US.

yfinn6, I can't confirm anything, but the announcers though Arenado might have bunted just to see the ball hit the bat since his hitting had been so poor. Next at bat he got a base knock, so maybe that helped.

My buddies and I jokingly asked if there would be a parade through LA tomorrow.

Question. Does anyone feel any kind of national pride because the USA won? I get excited for the Olympics or World Cup but this doesn't feel like anything.

For me it is nice that they won but had they lost, I would feel exactly the same as I do today. Just doesn't really have much significance to me other than it was nice to pass the time with being able to watch some good baseball in March.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Question. Does anyone feel any kind of national pride because the USA won? I get excited for the Olympics or World Cup but this doesn't feel like anything.

Actually I do. I think it was an exciting moment for fans of US baseball and hearing the post-game comments made by Adam Jones, Marcus Stroman, and Jim Leyland were awesome. Quite frankly, I think that the lack of promotion outside of MLB Network has contributed to not many people (even diehard baseball fans) knowing much about the tournament. Maybe winning this year will change that in future competitions.

Definitely think it was very cool to see. I wouldn't have been super heartbroken had they lost but I think you could tell the players really wanted it. Seeing the emotions from both PR & USA were very cool.

Also the class Puerto Rico showed was unbelievable after the game. Very very very cool thing for then to do

Archived