Brewer Fanatic

World Baseball Classic - 2017

Eye Black
Community Moderator

The World Baseball Classic kicks off this week. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoy the event. For others looking forward to it, feel free to weigh in here with WBC news, notes, discussion, etc.

The WBC first round schedule is listed below (EDIT: I will add in additional rounds as they are scheduled). All times listed below are Central Time (CT). Many of the games are shown live on MLB Network, and the games on MLB.TV are shown on MLB Network tape delayed (see note at the bottom for more information).

First Round Game Schedule

Monday, March 6

3:30 AM- Israel vs. Korea (MLB Network) - Israel 2, Korea 1 (10 innings)

9 PM- Israel vs. Chinese Taipei (MLB Network) - Israel 15, Chinese Taipei 7

Tuesday, March 7

x-3:30 AM- Korea vs. Netherlands (MLB.TV) - Netherlands 5, Korea 0

4 AM- Cuba vs. Japan (MLB Network) - Japan 11, Cuba 6

9 PM- Cuba vs. China (MLB Network) - Cuba 6, China 0

Wednesday, March 8

x-3:30 AM- Chinese Taipei vs. Netherlands (MLB.TV) - Netherlands 6, Chinese Taipei 5

4 AM- Japan vs. Australia (MLB Network) - Japan 4, Australia 1

9 PM- Netherlands vs. Israel (MLB Network) - Israel 4, Netherlands 2

Thursday, March 9

x-3:30 AM- Korea vs. Chinese Taipei (MLB.TV) - Korea 11, Chinese Taipei 8 (10 innings)

4 AM- Australia vs. China (MLB Network) - Australia 11, China 0 (8 innings)

5 PM- Canada vs. Dominican Republic (MLB Network) - Dominican Republic 9, Canada 2

8 PM- Mexico vs. Italy (MLB Network) - Italy 10, Mexico 9

x-9 PM- Australia vs. Cuba (MLB.TV) - Cuba 4, Australia 3

Friday, March 10

3 AM- Seoul tiebreaker [if necessary] (MLB Network)

x-4 AM- China vs. Japan (MLB Network) - Japan 7, China 1

5 PM- Colombia vs. USA (MLB Network) - USA 3, Colombia 2 (10 innings)

9 PM- Venezuela vs. Puerto Rico (MLB Network) - Puerto Rico 11, Venezuela 0 (7 innings)

Saturday, March 11

4 AM- Tokyo tiebreaker [if necessary] (MLB Network)

11 AM- Colombia vs. Canada (MLB Network) - Colombia 4, Canada 1

2 PM- Venezuela vs. Italy (MLB Network) - Venezuela 11, Italy 10

5:30 PM- USA vs. Dominican Republic (MLB Network) - Dominican Republic 7, USA 5

8:30 PM- Puerto Rico vs. Mexico (MLB Network) - Puerto Rico 9, Mexico 4

Sunday, March 12

11:30 AM- Dominican Republic vs. Colombia (MLB Network) - Dominican Republic 10, Colombia 3 (11 innings)

2:30 PM- Italy vs. Puerto Rico (MLB Network) - Puerto Rico 9, Italy 3

6 PM- Canada vs. USA (MLB Network) - USA 8, Canada 0

9 PM- Venezuela vs. Mexico (MLB Network) - Mexico 11, Venezuela 9

Monday, March 13

5 PM- Miami tiebreaker [if necessary] (MLB Network)

8 PM- Guadalajara tiebreaker (MLB Network) - Venezuela 4, Italy 3

x- All MLB.TV games will be shown tape delayed on MLB Network. The 3:30 AM games will air at 7 AM. If necessary the 4 AM game would air at 6:30 AM. The 9 PM game will air at 11 PM.

Second Round Game Schedule

Saturday, March 11

x-9 PM – Cuba vs. Israel (MLB Network) - Israel 4, Cuba 1

x- This game will air on MLB Network tape delayed at 11:30 PM.

Sunday, March 12

5 AM – Netherlands vs. Japan (MLB Network) - Japan 8, Netherlands 6 (11 innings)

Monday, March 13

5 AM – Netherlands vs. Israel (MLB Network) - Netherlands 12, Israel 2 (8 innings)

Tuesday, March 14

5 AM – Cuba vs. Japan (MLB Network) - Japan 8, Cuba 5

8 PM – Dominican Republic vs. Puerto Rico (MLB Network) - Puerto Rico 3, Dominican Republic 1

10 PM – Netherlands vs. Cuba (MLB Network) - Netherlands 14, Cuba 1

Wednesday, March 15

5 AM – Israel vs. Japan (MLB Network) - Japan 8, Israel 3

8 PM – USA vs. Venezuela (MLB Network) - USA 4, Venezuela 2

Thursday, March 16

5 AM – Tokyo tiebreaker [if necessary] (MLB Network)

9 PM – Dominican Republic vs. Venezuela (MLB Network) - Dominican Republic 3, Venezuela 0

Friday, March 17

9 PM – USA vs. Puerto Rico (MLB Network) - Puerto Rico 6, USA 5

Saturday, March 18

2:30 PM – Puerto Rico vs. Venezuela (MLB Network) - Puerto Rico 13, Venezuela 2

9:00 PM – USA vs. Dominican Republic (MLB Network) - USA 6, Dominican Republic 3

Sunday, March 19

5 PM – San Diego tiebreaker [if necessary] (MLB Network)

All game times listed in Central Time (CT)

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Game 2 for Israel is starting. A little strange that I am about to watch them play for the second time "today" (yes I was crazy enough to get up for first pitch this AM), and it is two very seperate days for them.

Will try to keep the thread updated with individual performances of players in the Brewers organization, a poor man's version of the great recap's Mass Haas gives us.

Israel DH Cody Decker isn't starting game 2, but he did start this morning's game in the 6th spot in the order and went 0-for-3 with a strikeout (swung at a couple of pitches outside of the zone), a pop out to the first baseman, and a fly out to deep right field that was caught just onto the warning track. Decker was replaced after his third at-bat by Ike Davis.

Edit: In Game 2 Cody Decker came off the bench and went 1-for-2 with a single to left and fly out to center.

Very cool that Israel is moving onto the next round and if I remember correctly it also means they have guaranteed a spot in the next WBC. Every time it seems like there is a team like this and those teams are always easy to root for

Community Moderator

Agreed, great to hear from kalle8!

Despite still having to play each other in pool play tonight, both the Netherlands (2-0) and Israel (2-0) are now guaranteed to advance to the next round.

While I was watching the US vs Twins that was happening, and later on with the Netherlands Vs Israel it happened too. It took me about 5 minutes to get the late game back on. To some degree I'm relieved I wasn't the only one. I'm hosting a WBC triple header on Saturday and I don't wanna be the guy whose app doesn't work when it matters most. Hopefully all bugs will be fixed, because I'd guess the USA/Dominican game will probably be the most viewed of this pool. The game has been sold out for awhile I guess.

Catching up from last night's game, Cody Decker went 1-for-3 against the Netherlands with a first inning single to left field. Israel scored 3 1st inning runs and held on for a 4-2 victory.

Brewers scout Pete Orr has tallied a hit for Canada against the Dominican Republic with more at-bats yet to come.

Pretty sad that Canada's best starter was Ryan Dempster who didn't pitch at all last year. He did better than I expected though. Apparently Gagne is on the team as well.

Dempster's last professional pitch thrown was in the 2013 World Series. Three and a half years between outings and having to face a stacked Dominican Republic lineup wasn't exactly a recipe for success.

In other news, Italy scored 5 runs in the bottom of the 9th inning (without recording any outs) to walk-off with a shocking comeback over Mexico 10-9. With regards to Brewers in action, Carlos Torres pitching for Mexico in the 6th inning managed a strikeout, gave up a walk, and induced a double play groundball to end his one inning of work.

In the D.R./Canada game, Jonathan Villar checked into the game at 2B for the Dominican Republic in the 9th inning (replacing Robinson Cano), but did not get an at-bat.

That Italy/Mexico game was a great finish! Australia was threatening Cuba at the end too, I thought they were gonna pull it off. It was a lot of fun watching both those games last night, and I'm sure Kalle8 was doing cartwheels. Great comeback!

USA currently down 2-0 against Columbia heading to the 6th inning. Jose Quintana has allowed zero hits through 5.0 IP. Luckily for the US he is only 15 pitches from the pitch limit. Losing to Columbia would be a very big blow for the U.S. chances to advance. It would make the game versus the Dominican Republic likely a must win.

Are mlb network and mlb.tv the only way to watch games? I have neither and am hoping to catch some of the games.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Pretty sad that Canada's best starter was Ryan Dempster who didn't pitch at all last year. He did better than I expected though. Apparently Gagne is on the team as well.

Dempster's last professional pitch thrown was in the 2013 World Series. Three and a half years between outings and having to face a stacked Dominican Republic lineup wasn't exactly a recipe for success.

In other news, Italy scored 5 runs in the bottom of the 9th inning (without recording any outs) to walk-off with a shocking comeback over Mexico 10-9. With regards to Brewers in action, Carlos Torres pitching for Mexico in the 6th inning managed a strikeout, gave up a walk, and induced a double play groundball to end his one inning of work.

In the D.R./Canada game, Jonathan Villar checked into the game at 2B for the Dominican Republic in the 9th inning (replacing Robinson Cano), but did not get an at-bat.

Also of note, Gallardo started the game with pretty mixed results.

Even though the first round is still on-going for a couple of the pools, the second round also begins tomorrow for the 4 teams that advanced to second round of play in Tokyo (Israel, Japan, Netherlands, Cuba). I have added the second round schedule to the original post (LINK).

Also, in addition to the much anticipated matchup between the U.S. and Dominican Republic tomorrow night, we can also look forward to watching Jorge Lopez who was named the starting pitcher for Puerto Rico against Mexico.

Pretty surprised that no one has posted yet about the great ending to the US/Colombia game last night. I know that we were supposed to win the game relatively easily but it was a real fun game to watch especially against Quintana. Let's hope for more good things from the US/DR game this evening.

Archived