Brewer Fanatic

Is Spring Training too long?

jerichoholicninja

For major leaguers I would say yes. This isn't the 40's and 50's anymore where guys had to spend a month working off their winter gut before the season started. These guys have been working out, throwing, and hitting for several weeks if not months. They could probably start the regular season today and there would be very little noticeable rust on anyone. I mean Braun and someone else spent a day learning how to play cricket last week. And Ryan's only going to play like 5 or 6 games. He could be spending this time with his family or at least not subjecting his body to the daily grind. I would think 2 weeks is all that is needed - a few days of workouts and 10 games. Your SP's get two starts and throw maybe 8 innings total. If any pitchers need more innings there's no reason they can't show up to camp early and get it in then.

Bring the minor league guys in in the middle of February and have them work with the big league staff and play games for a few weeks and anyone else that wants early work. Major leaguers trickle in through March and report about March 15. I would think the players would be for this seeing as they complain about the season being too long. And probably the owners too - save money, save the risk of injury in pointless games. I'm sure the only hold up would be the local municipalities as I bet this would take a big hit to their tourism dollars.

Yes it's too long, much like NFL doesn't need 4 or 5 preseason games. It's not likely to change though, and if teams really believed SP only need two outings nothings stopping them from doing that now. Plenty of other arms in camp, and the can shuttle as many through as they want. Ditto for position players.

And I wouldn't worry about Braun's family time, my guess is they're down in AZ as well.

I don't know. It's for pitchers to get their arms in shape. MLB has the only functioning minor leagues in major US sports, and this is a great chance to evaluate the state of the entire system against good competition. It's a huge money maker for teams as well. For AZ's economy, I would think it's the perfect length

Yes. It's way too long for the vets. I would tell players like Braun see ya 3/15. Sure some guys can show up starting 2/15 if they are trying out and/or want the facility to work out. Braun doesn't need almost 2 months of spring training. He needs 1 week.

Every player should be on a case to case basis. Spring training is used for more than just getting players ready for the regular season. No player needs just a week. The length allows them to slowly ease players into every day playing. Rush it and you will have an injury list longer than the Mississippi. A lot of the length is probably to get pitchers ready. You have to remember most of these players sit on their butt for a good 1-2 months and don't really start baseball activities till spring training(or close to it). Of course every player is different.

This isn't time just for players to get into game conditioning, they need to come together as a team, familiar with one another before opening day. It's too often you see teams still working things out on the field through April and most often they're the teams you don't see playing October baseball. It's starting pitchers that really need the time and often they're not fully stretched out for the first few starts of the regular season.

I get that the season is long and they're away from their families, but that's a sacrifice you make to be in the elite echelon of a MLB players.

Just like most things in life, it is too long for some and too short for others. Just need to be a smart organization and manage when players actually begin. Brewers are smart in a case like Ryan Braun. No reason for him to be there right now. Season is long enough of a grind.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I would think 2 weeks is all that is needed - a few days of workouts and 10 games.

ignoring teams that share facilities, that would equate to five games played at maryvale for the entire course of spring training. there's no way that anyone could justify the costs to build and maintain a facility and its workforce for only five games.

Every player should be on a case to case basis. Spring training is used for more than just getting players ready for the regular season. No player needs just a week. The length allows them to slowly ease players into every day playing. Rush it and you will have an injury list longer than the Mississippi. A lot of the length is probably to get pitchers ready. You have to remember most of these players sit on their butt for a good 1-2 months and don't really start baseball activities till spring training(or close to it). Of course every player is different.

Agree, and that "sitting on their butt" is necessary to allow for players (especially pitchers' arms) to rest after a grueling season. Then you work them back in over the month of ST, starting with one inning in their first outing and working up from their. Many/most pitchers are still on a limited pitch count for the first few starts of the season, so I wouldn't want to limit their spring workload any further.

As others have said, for the players who do not need the full spring, do what the Brewers are doing with Braun, allowing him to sit out games until 3/15.

Also, as a fan I'm glad for the extra games. They're not going to extend the season, so shortening ST would just mean we'd have to wait a few more weeks of winter before we get to watch baseball again.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I know it probably gets old for some of the veteran players, but from a fan's perspective I think it is a perfect length. I mostly enjoy seeing some of the guys from deeper in the system, even if it is for only an inning or a plate appearance.

Like the other day when Tristan Archer pitched. I had seen his name in the link report here and there but never really delved deeper thinking; old for level, late round pick, relief only, just a guy, etc. But after seeing the movement on his pitches I can understand how he ran a 9:1 K/BB walk ratio at AA and it gave me hope that he could be a future big league contributor.

I'm also calling shenanigans on Eric Thames being 6 feet tall. He barely looked taller than Ben Revere when he was on first base.

I know it probably gets old for some of the veteran players, but from a fan's perspective I think it is a perfect length. I mostly enjoy seeing some of the guys from deeper in the system, even if it is for only an inning or a plate appearance.

Like the other day when Tristan Archer pitched. I had seen his name in the link report here and there but never really delved deeper thinking; old for level, late round pick, relief only, just a guy, etc. But after seeing the movement on his pitches I can understand how he ran a 9:1 K/BB walk ratio at AA and it gave me hope that he could be a future big league contributor.

I'm also calling shenanigans on Eric Thames being 6 feet tall. He barely looked taller than Ben Revere when he was on first base.

I was at the game in Tempe on Saturday. Thames is 5' 11' with cleats on. Just doesn't look like a first baseman. I came away a bit concerned with that signing.

I was at the game in Tempe on Saturday. Thames is 5' 11' with cleats on. Just doesn't look like a first baseman. I came away a bit concerned with that signing.

I mean, it wasn't that long ago the Brewers had a 5'9" all-star 1B.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

No it isn't. April is already a "useless month" because so many players just aren't ready yet. As someone with a long history in fantasy I know that April stats mean nothing just like September stats. Those months are heavy influenced by players who shouldn't be in the majors or players who just aren't ready to be playing yet. The players may feel it is too long and what they feel is probably the most important thing but early season always sees good players who just aren't ready yet for whatever reason struggling heavily.

Which proves ST has little correlation with a player's regular season results. So does it matter if ST was two months or two weeks? Probably not much. I don't think ST is too long, mainly to get starting pitchers stretched out. It's just that I don't think it makes players (especially position players) more prepared to have success in the regular season.

No it isn't. April is already a "useless month" because so many players just aren't ready yet. As someone with a long history in fantasy I know that April stats mean nothing just like September stats. Those months are heavy influenced by players who shouldn't be in the majors or players who just aren't ready to be playing yet. The players may feel it is too long and what they feel is probably the most important thing but early season always sees good players who just aren't ready yet for whatever reason struggling heavily.

It wouldn't matter how long Spring Training is, the first few weeks of the season would still see plenty of guys still not game ready. Especially when you have guys like Braun who don't play games until the last week or so of Spring Training. And that's not a dig at Braun or anyone else it's just the way it is.

I agree it is too long for proven MLB position players in that they could do everything needed in a shorter time if the guys actually played. But every year you hear about slow starts due to rust, need to get in rhythm, etc. Well, how about take some ABs in spring training instead just one per game or skipping games to go golfing? We know guys are in shape now so don't need the time for all that like 50 years ago. In short, I'd be all for shortening it up but think the actual MLB players should get more PT/ABs in.

Pitchers on the other hand, I could see why they need the time to stretch out. And I see how minor leaguers benefit from more time with coaches. So it's no easy to shorten up as many guys do benefit from more time. I'd probably leave as is for length, but try to have my MLB ready hitters get more real ABs in.

I've been saying it for a few years with the Packers too with their slow starts. I know we can't risk injury in preseason and just got killed by Jordy's injury. But it seems every year it takes several games for the passing offense to get in rhythm, how about actually play a bit in preseason together. It's not like QBs can really even get hit anymore and Rodgers is smart enough to just go down than risk it.

Archived