Brewer Fanatic

Villar passed up extension

billymac
Going to go out on a limb here and guess Villar doesn't finish the season with a 48.4% strikeout rate, a 3.2% walk rate, or a .231 BABIP. The defense remains worrisome, but he's not a bad offensive player. He's going through an awful stretch that just happens to be at the beginning of the season. If this were happening in August after putting up a 750 OPS for the first 4 months of the year, it's probably not a huge topic.

Nobody expects him to hit .163 but unless he stops swinging for the fences every time up, his K rate will remain unacceptable and he'll be lucky to hit over .230. Counsell gives everyone else days off. It's time he does the same with Villar. They made their bed with him when they said goodbye to Scooter. Luckily he turned down the deal though and they do still have alternatives on the roster and in their system.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody expects him to hit .163 but unless he stops swinging for the fences every time up, his K rate will remain unacceptable and he'll be lucky to hit over .230. Counsell gives everyone else days off. It's time he does the same with Villar. They made their bed with him when they said goodbye to Scooter. Luckily he turned down the deal though and they do still have alternatives on the roster and in their system.

They picked up Franklin who is a better version of Scooter. Not sure why you keep complaining about this.

They picked up Franklin who is a better version of Scooter. Not sure why you keep complaining about this.

http://www.memesandteens.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/boomroasted.jpg

But in all seriousness, Ender is correct.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think the fact that we tried desperately to trade Scooter and found zero offers for him is a pretty good indication of his actual value level around the league. Scooter will cool off, as he always does.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

http://i.imgur.com/WTDnnwE.gif?noredirect

http://www.memesandteens.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/boomroasted.jpg

But in all seriousness, Ender is correct.

Franklin career: .218/.286/.374 Gennett career: .279/.317/.425

On what planet is Franklin a better version of Scooter based on actual major league production? While were at it, what's better, .279/.317/.425 or .254/.329/.401? The latter are Villar's career numbers.

Old time Brewer fans might remember one Pedro Garcia who also played 2B in the 1970's. Garcia was 2nd in the AL ROY voting in 1973. But his career faltered after that. Villar reminds me of Garcia.

I know for some of you the truth hurts so that's why when I bring it up you all react. Go ahead. Take your shots. I'm doing all I can to keep from mentioning Khris Davis.

Franklin career: .218/.286/.374 Gennett career: .279/.317/.425

On what planet is Franklin a better version of Scooter based on actual major league production? While were at it, what's better, .279/.317/.425 or .254/.329/.401? The latter are Villar's career numbers.

Old time Brewer fans might remember one Pedro Garcia who also played 2B in the 1970's. Garcia was 2nd in the AL ROY voting in 1973. But his career faltered after that. Villar reminds me of Garcia.

I know for some of you the truth hurts so that's why when I bring it up you all react. Go ahead. Take your shots. I'm doing all I can to keep from mentioning Khris Davis.

Franklin has more positional flexibility. They tried Gennett at other positions, but apparently weren't impressed with what they saw. When we had both Weeks and Gennett on the team, we saw that having a bench player who can only play 2B can hamstring the team. Due to his inability to play other positions, Gennett's days with the Brewers were numbered once they got Shaw and announced Villar would be the everyday 2B.

I'm not sold on Villar, but he definitely has a higher ceiling than Gennett, while also having more team control. Although I'm happy we are improving, at this point we are still in rebuild mode, meaning we're looking for guys who could be stars, and guys who could be around for a long time. While Gennett is a capable MLB player, what you see is probably as good as you'll ever get. Villar may bomb, but his higher ceiling is the main reason the Brewers decided on him over Gennett.

Personally, I'd have been fine if they had decided to keep Gennett at 2B, move Villar back to SS, and let Arcia start the season in AAA to work on things for a couple of months, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over the decision they made. I manage investments for a living. When you make a trade, you feel you are doing the right thing for your franchise/portfolio. You should do your homework and have valid reasons of making the trade. But once the trade is made, you can't dwell on how the piece you traded off did, or whether you "won" the trade. You just hope the assets you traded for do well. If you continue to look at how well the assets you traded away are doing, you will go insane.

In the long run, it's only the really bad mistakes that could derail you if you start off with a valid plan. Trading away a future superstar for one year of a so-so player or letting an extremely valuable trade chip walk away for nothing when you could have traded him would fall in this category. Losing Gennett does not. While no one is perfect and not everything Stearns does will work out, so far it seems he is making moves that are shortening the length of the rebuild and making the future look a whole lot better. I prefer to focus on that.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived