Brewer Fanatic

Villar passed up extension

billymac
Extremely early

I'll stop you there.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 games lol

It is too short a time to judge, but it could be argued that his bad defense cost the Brewers both of those games. He has the tools, but after watching him last year, he doesn't appear to be a good defensive player. Hopefully he can settle in and become an average defensive 2B, and hopefully his offense stays around the 2016 levels. If both of those happen, he's a very valuable player.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

2 games lol

And to look like he's never played the position before, which is what he's looked like the first 2 games, is not an lol for a professional

The camera's showed Counsell after a number of Villar's lack of plays or being out of position and he had that look like *** is he doing out there.

I think its something to monitor

2 games lol

And to look like he's never played the position before, which is what he's looked like the first 2 games, is not an lol for a professional

The camera's showed Counsell after a number of Villar's lack of plays or being out of position and he had that look like *** is he doing out there.

I think its something to monitor

Especially when it's in addition to so many issues last year at the other two positions. He has all the physical tools, there's no reason he can't be a solid defensive player once he settles in as long as his head is in it.

Yes, 2, 15, 50, even 100 games are too early for a sentence but there is no reason to avoid any discussion. Villar's nonchalance approach maybe was the difference between two wins and two losses. No way gonna cost the Brewers anything this season but this has to be kept in mind for future seasons when, hopefully, the difference between 2 W and two L could be huge.

What did he play during the WBC? It looks like hes not ready mentally for 2b at this point. The game moving too fast for his mind. If he was playing SS or 3b, he is behind on reps for a 2b on defense. I expect he improves with the mental mistakes, because he turned down the extension. He loses value with these mistakes and the more he continues the trend, the less likely hes going to make what the Brewers offered him.

Players move around the diamond all the time, sometimes in the same game. I get 2B is different than SS but sheesh it's not like the Brewers asked him to go from SS to becoming their CFO.

He had a heck of a year as a lead off hitter but I doubt he will ever be an even ok fielder. They are just going to have to accept it or pray the DH comes to the NL next year.

What did he do in game two that cost them the game? I remember there being a play where he was late getting to second base but that can't be what we are talking about here because that surely did not cost them the game. I must've missed something else.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

What did he do in game two that cost them the game? I remember there being a play where he was late getting to second base but that can't be what we are talking about here because that surely did not cost them the game. I must've missed something else.

I'm guessing they're referencing his diving attempt at that jam shot that he dropped that would've been a double play. Instead Rocks got their big inning. I can't really fault him for that, he did everything right but the ball popped out.

Still only 2 games in, nothing to freak out about. Just seems the trend is continuing for him, hopefully a month from now he's settled in and there's no need to talk about it.

He only got 5 ABs in the WBC, so he didn't play. It really would have helped if he had a full spring training this year.

This may be a bit premature.

"I want to focus on winning a Gold Glove," Villar said. "I like playing there. I think I can do it."

I did see a quote by Counsell saying it takes 2 years to get comfortable at a position.

Playing a new position does takes time to learn. I see another problem when learning the new position on the infield. The Brewers shift so much, it puts guys all over the place. Then when balls are hit to the outfield and the ball comes back in guys are out of position. I saw it happen last year and its going to continue.

Here is my problem with Villar, and it is something we all discussed at length last year. At this point you have to question both his baseball instincts as well as his ability to take coaching. The glaring example last year was getting thrown out at third so many times. So far this year, the test will be how quickly he learns from his mistakes in the field. After botching that double play on opening day, how many more times are we going to see him not set his feet when making the pivot? I think this play got overlooked last night, but early in the game a gapper was hit to the left field side with no one on base. There is literally nothing else for the 2B to do on that play but cover the base, but Villar wasn't there (he then laughed about it, which could lead to a completely different discussion - I'm sure his pitcher thought it was just hilarious that there was now a runner on second when they possibly could have gotten him out).

I agree with everyone who is saying it is still relatively early in his development, particularly as a 2B, but it will be very interesting to monitor throughout this season which areas improve and which do not. That will tell us a lot about whether he is someone who is maturing and is able to adjust, or is someone who just may never "get it."

I'm guessing they're referencing his diving attempt at that jam shot that he dropped that would've been a double play. Instead Rocks got their big inning. I can't really fault him for that, he did everything right but the ball popped out.

Still only 2 games in, nothing to freak out about. Just seems the trend is continuing for him, hopefully a month from now he's settled in and there's no need to talk about it.

That, and on opening day he dropped the ball transferring the ball to his throwing hand on what would have been an easy DP.

That's the kind of stuff that should rarely happen, yet he's done it two games in a row. Just happens to be the first two games, which is why it stands out so much. And that has nothing to do with a new position, just lack of concentration....or he simply never will be a really good defensive player at any position.

That, and on opening day he dropped the ball transferring the ball to his throwing hand on what would have been an easy DP.

That's the kind of stuff that should rarely happen, yet he's done it two games in a row. Just happens to be the first two games, which is why it stands out so much. And that has nothing to do with a new position, just lack of concentration....or he simply never will be a really good defensive player at any position.

Okay, I will give you the double play ball but really? The play he dove on was a really tough play. It is not a routine play someone makes at all.

The reason Villar's defense is so bad is because everyone focuses in on it and nitpicks it. Players who aren't typically critqued for their defense don't have that problem. For example Ryan Braun on opening day. He had a great assist to nab a guy at the plate...except it wasn't even a good play. He bobbled the ball trying to get it and then made an average throw that he had to bounce to get it to the cut-off man. If that would have actually been a good send by the Rockies those two things could have easily made a guy safe.

If you guys analyzed every player so close defensively they would all be pretty bad. Villar isn't great with the glove, but he is learning a new position and it isn't as easy as some make it out to be. Some players need some time to get used to the shorter throw at 2B and how they turn DPs at 2B. This conversation is happening months too early.

If memory serves the Braun play you are talking about MrTPlush was a great throw by Arcia to cut him down. But your point is well taken.

As far as Villar goes I don't mind an occasional physical mistake like dropping the ball when transferring from hand to hand nearly as much as I mind the mental mistakes like forgetting to cover a base. I hope some of it is due to thinking like a SS instead of a 2nd basemen when it comes to who covers what. But he was never a smart baseball player so I am not holding out a lot of hope it changes dramatically. If he ends up being an offense first second baseman it's not the end of the world. Even though sometimes it might seem that way when seeing it happen time and time again.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

IfAs far as Villar goes I don't mind an occasional physical mistake like dropping the ball when transferring from hand to hand nearly as much as I mind the mental mistakes like forgetting to cover a base.

.... and then laughing on the field about it.

Fans will be a lot more patient with him if it doesn't looks like he's just being lazy, and doesn't care. That drew some boos yesterday.

It'll also help when he starts hitting and stealing bases.

IfAs far as Villar goes I don't mind an occasional physical mistake like dropping the ball when transferring from hand to hand nearly as much as I mind the mental mistakes like forgetting to cover a base.

Fans will be a lot more patient with him if it doesn't looks like he's just being lazy, and doesn't care. That drew some boos yesterday.

This is so American. Because he laughed, we assume he doesn't care.

The physical errors like bobbling the ball on a rushed exchange should be greatly reduced with experience. My concern is mental errors like not covering the bag. That comes from not preparing correctly or not paying attention, and that could have the same underlying cause as his base running errors.

The other concern is that this bad start might make him press more and continue to make errors, or press at the plate.

Fans will be a lot more patient with him if it doesn't look like he's just being lazy, and doesn't care. That drew some boos yesterday.

This is so American. Because he laughed, we assume he doesn't care.

Notice I said "look like". Just out of curiosity, what are the non-American gestures for not taking things seriously?

Aren't you the guy that called him a "mental midget" in the Opening Day thread?

Notice I said "look like". Just out of curiosity, what are the non-American gestures for not taking things seriously?

Aren't you the guy that called him a "mental midget" in the Opening Day thread?

American baseball is serious so if he laughs at a dumb play, WE... notice I said WE, assume he doesn't care. It was a generalization for how WE have grown up watching, learning, playing the game. It had nothing to do with you personally so take a step back. It's well known how American baseball is a bunch of unwritten rules and policies that take the "fun" atmosphere away from baseball. If a guy plays loose, we assume the worst. It is simply not the case for a lot of guys.

Oh and I called him a mental midget because he plays like it at times. That has nothing to do with what not caring nor what I said about that statement being so American.

Archived