Brewer Fanatic

TWiB

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In honor of the opening of spring training this week, I present to you a random episode of This Week in Baseball from 1982. For those too young to remember life before cable and the 24 hour news cycle, this was how we saw league highlights (once a week mind you) when I was a kid. Still get chills listening to that closing theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vEimr5SNa8

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm with you, man. Watched it every week. Mel Allen blaring away. I'd hope for Brewer clips.

I also watched Johnny Bench's kid show. Baseball Bunch or something like that. The SD chicken would show up.

I was out of state so I'd watch the weekly game of the week. Joe Garigiola and Tony Kubek. I knew it was a big game.

A huge frustration for me - on the last day of the regular season in 1982 - they didn't show Brewers vs Orioles in my region. It was absurd. Luckily Oglivie went deep and Robin proved he was MVP and a flat out superstar off of Jim Palmer.

In honor of the opening of spring training this week, I present to you a random episode of This Week in Baseball from 1982. For those too young to remember life before cable and the 24 hour news cycle, this was how we saw league highlights (once a week mind you) when I was a kid. Still get chills listening to that closing theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vEimr5SNa8

How about that!

I always loved those days in the 80s where they'd play "This Week in Baseball" on the scoreboard at County Stadium about an hour before game time. Trying to figure out what you're watching half the time was only made better if you had happened to see the episode on television ahead of time.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Then you had Monday Night Baseball....literally like two national games per week.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm with you, man. Watched it every week. Mel Allen blaring away. I'd hope for Brewer clips.

I also watched Johnny Bench's kid show. Baseball Bunch or something like that. The SD chicken would show up.

I was out of state so I'd watch the weekly game of the week. Joe Garigiola and Tony Kubek. I knew it was a big game.

A huge frustration for me - on the last day of the regular season in 1982 - they didn't show Brewers vs Orioles in my region. It was absurd. Luckily Oglivie went deep and Robin proved he was MVP and a flat out superstar off of Jim Palmer.

I remember Baseball Bunch... and they never had a Brewer.

Had OZzie Smith though... :rolleyes

I remember Baseball Bunch... and they never had a Brewer.

Had OZzie Smith though... :rolleyes

Wrong. They had an episode with Ted Simmons showing how to switch hit. Of course, I instantly went outside to try it after the episode aired.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

This was must see TV when I was a kid. A few Christmases ago I got a few of the seasons on DVD. And yes, that closing song with the credits brings back a flood of memories.

Then you had Monday Night Baseball....literally like two national games per week.

Not that now being able to watch pretty much any game you want is a bad thing. However, I really feel that only being able to listen to most games on the radio and not having access to watching many games on TV, made my thirst and appreciation for baseball that much greater. Not only that, the score was not constantly up on the screen. You had to pay attention to those games. I scored along at home for so many of those games on TV and radio, not just the Brewers but other random nationally televised games.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I don't even know how to explain that world to people who grew up with the Internet. "We got daily newspaper summaries of games, and a half hour show that sounded analytically sophisticated if it mentioned RBIs, and two games a week plus Brewers road games on the UHF station. What was a UHF station? I'm not even going to try. Oh, and TVs weighed 100 pounds and took up half a room, and they had antennas. Plus fantasy baseball hadn't been invented yet, or at least we didn't know about it, and we got our statistical knowledge from baseball cards, which didn't even list walks or caught stealing." Who would even believe any of that now? I'm not sure I believe it.

This was must see TV when I was a kid. A few Christmases ago I got a few of the seasons on DVD. And yes, that closing song with the credits brings back a flood of memories.

I have season one of "This Week in Baseball", but haven't checked recently to see if they released other seasons... Amazon, here I come!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The only season on TWIB that has been released is season one, not sure how you got a few seasons unless they have already discontinued other seasons...Damn.

Only season one can be found on amazon and ebay.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived