Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2017-2018)

CheezWizHed

I don't watch nearly as much anymore but can you provide some examples? All I can think of is Colin K.

A lot of the main programming has become more like 'TMZ' as opposed to sports. Perhaps that's not what he's referring to, but maybe? Kap, Aaron Hernandez, Jenner, etc.

I really don't care to see how many times Kap kneels, or who he kneels with(and I'm a Niner fan). If I want to read about the Hernandez case I will go to a reputable news source.

That's my biggest beef really. it's all about this and talking heads arguing about it. I want to see what happens in sports, that's it

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched Baseball Tonight last night for the first time in years and I was shocked on how shallow it was, and how often they went to commercials.

I love Kurkjian and Keith Law has grown on me, but Ravech is a little off-putting and don't know what Aaron Boone was supposed to be contributing.

The "former athlete who provides expertise" staple of sports broadcasting often falls flat for me. I'd prefer an insightful writer or front office type to deliver perspective and analysis.

Perfect storm for ESPN. They overpaid for NFL and NBA, so trying to pressure cable providers, etc. for higher rates. Problem is, more and more people are ditching cable. That whole cycle can't be sustained.

Honestly, I would probably still watch Sportscenter every night if they reverted back how they used to do it. 1/2 hour that just goes through the highlights and stories of the day. But I'n not waiting 57 minutes to see a glimpse of Brewers or Bucks highlights, enduring 5 side stories in the meantime.

My own sports consumption has really changed over the years.

I used to be an ESPN viewer, but several years ago, they decided to focus so much attention on national stars that it just got to be too much for me. Kobe, LeBron, Tiger, Brady, Peyton... Then their baseball coverage was so dominated by Yankees vs. Red Sox...all that while, I stopped caring about the NFL, NBA, College sports... now, I'll watch for a national baseball game once in awhile, but really, I can get all the televised sports that I care about from MLB Network and local broadcasts.

I still listen to Buster's podcast and to Eric Karabell's fantasy baseball podcast, but that's really all that I consume from ESPN.

Rumors are that ESPN is scaling way back on baseball. They have already let Jayson Stark go. Word is that Karl Ravech's role will be significantly reduced. Others in their baseball coverage who were shown the door are Mark Saxon, Doug Glanville, Dallas Braden and Raul Ibanez. Internet talk is that they may use MLB Network's Intentional Talk as feed programming.

I want more baseball on my tv, not less.

I actually just said they might as well let everyone go that doesn't cover NFL, that's all they cover anyway.

That was my thought. ESPN is basically NFL Network 2.

And the rumors were confirmed today that ESPN2 will carry MLB Network's Intentional Talk as part of their afternoon programming.

It's an interesting move, for sure, as it expands the relationship between the two networks. But they chose the silliest, least "basebally" show in the MLB lineup. It's not a preview show or a recap show or a gambling/fantasy show. It's a personality/comedy/interview show.

I'm less likely to watch Intentional Talk than anything on MLB, and it's an indication that ESPN2 isn't interested in appealing to guys like me.

And the rumors were confirmed today that ESPN2 will carry MLB Network's Intentional Talk as part of their afternoon programming.

It's an interesting move, for sure, as it expands the relationship between the two networks. But they chose the silliest, least "basebally" show in the MLB lineup. It's not a preview show or a recap show or a gambling/fantasy show. It's a personality/comedy/interview show.

I'm less likely to watch Intentional Talk than anything on MLB, and it's an indication that ESPN2 isn't interested in appealing to guys like me.

Is that the one with Kevin Millar? If so, that fits in perfectly with ESPN's programming and target demographic.

Yep. Millar and Chris Rose doing and saying wacky things.

The best episodes, though, are the ones when other MLB people substitute for Rose or Millar, and they become awkwardly casual. Like they're not quite comfortable taking on a Millar-like persona when they're used to being straight-laced on the other shows.

You're right, that's the ESPN product now. One hot take after another. Throw in some video clips, a crawl about Lebron, a PTI-style list of upcoming topics. Rinse and repeat.

All those people who become who become experts on every player in D1 college football during the NFL draft. Yes I'm sure you, average joe, have an excellent scouting report of the starting free safety from Louisiana Tech and how he will fit in with the defensive scheme of your favorite NFL team.

Verified Member

I'm bothered by modem fabric.

I've complained for the past several years about polo shirts being made from tech-blend material...polyester and other man made fabrics. They are too thin and unbecoming to guys who aren't ripped.

Add to that the fashion t-shirts made from tri-blend or anything that's not 100 percent heavyweight cotton. There are some awesome graphic designs being put onto t-shirts, but again, they're using thin fabric instead of traditional all cotton fabric.

I won't buy them. But I would if they would use traditional fabric.

All I can think of in regards to the last few comments is Frank Costanza..."I wouldn't be caught dead in banlon!"

I get it though. As a guy in my 50's who is about 15 pounds overweight, some of the newer fabrics are, a bit too "revealing".

My 2 issues in regards to recent trends in clothing are sleeves being too long or too short. In my opinion, the sleeves on short sleeve shirts (golf shirts, tee shirts, etc) are being made too short. they end less than half way down the upper arm and are way too tight in the arm pit area. Even if I was "ripped" I want some looseness and breathing room in that area. In regards to long sleeve shirts, I don't have long arms and every long sleeve shirt (not talking about dress shirts - I'm referring to sweatshirts, pullover type shirts, long sleeve polo shirts, etc) seems to be made with the assumption that everyone is at least 6 feet tall and has longer arms. I use to not have too big of an issue with this until the trend of non-elastic fabric around the wrist became a thing. Most of these shirts have sleeves that end around the top knuckle on my hands. Why did they stop putting elastic in the wrists? Not everyone has the same length arm!

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Not everyone has the same length arm!

Oh, man, I hear you. I've had to shorten or roll up petite garments for myself - that's how short my arms are. I suppose manufacturers conclude that it's easier for shorter-armed people to roll up than for longer-armed people to...shorten their arms?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Or you could be a tall skinny guy like myself and find it pretty much impossible to find shirts that have long enough arms that don't make me look like a balloon. Plus having to get pretty much every dress shirt and pants I buy tailored is a major pain.

Not everyone has the same length arm!

Oh, man, I hear you. I've had to shorten or roll up petite garments for myself - that's how short my arms are. I suppose manufacturers conclude that it's easier for shorter-armed people to roll up than for longer-armed people to...shorten their arms?

Yeah...I don't know, maybe that's ok for women, but at least in my opinion, not really a good look for a guy (rolling up sleeves). I'm thinking about a shirt kinda like below. Maybe you can push the sleeves up, but then you are just stretching out the fabric and eventually it looses it's elasticity.

2773236?wid=240&hei=240&op_sharpen=1

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Or you could be a tall skinny guy like myself and find it pretty much impossible to find shirts that have long enough arms that don't make me look like a balloon. Plus having to get pretty much every dress shirt and pants I buy tailored is a major pain.

Pants shopping is always the best. I have the shorts for a 400 pound man it feels like. If you getting taller I guess you must get fatter too.

Verified Member
Jim - Man, those thick heavy cotton T-Shirts really bother me. I really prefer the soft ones that start to feel like you've owned them for 10 years after one wash!

The softness is pretty nice, but the new fabric is so thin. I need some bulk to adequately cover my bulk.

Verified Member

Pants shopping is always the best. I have the shorts for a 400 pound man it feels like. If you getting taller I guess you must get fatter too.

This. I'm 6'8" tall. I wouldn't say I'm skinny, but I'm not huge. XXL shirts are made for the short and girthy. Big and Tall stores are mostly for the big AND tall. Outrageously expensive. Most t-shirts there feature some sort of animal with an angry/aggressive saying. I'm not a big dog. I just want a reasonably priced t-shirt. I love shirseys, they may fit once, but once washed are useless. Dress clothes fit ridiculously, very billowy. Old Navy online has some stuff that fits in their tall sizes, but there seems to be no consistency in size...and they don't hold their shape very well.

Tom James custom clothing

If you live in Madison, Milwaukee, or Chicago let me know - I can hook you up with my Tom James rep who makes great custom tailored shirts and suits for a reasonable (not cheap - reasonable) price. I've been buying dress shirts and suits from him for over 15 years.

I'm 6'3", have a 47" chest, 36" long arms, and a 10-12" drop from my chest to my waist depending on how in-shape I am. If anything is big enough in the shoulders/chest and long enough in the arms, the rest of the shirt usually fits like a tent. Jackets are the worst; button-up shirts you can kind of take in on the sides, but not with jackets and the sleeves are usually 1-2" too short.

Many many years ago I switched to the CBS Sports website from ESPN because theirs got to be full of ads and it was a chore just to reach the headlines. I put up with CBS' banner ad which expanded and collapsed, meaning I had to scroll around even though I was on the page I wanted, and that I couldn't click on links because they were moving around most of the time. But my problem now is that on every page, CBS insists on opening up an audio of some annoying guy which I have to constantly mute. And it's rarely an audio referencing the article I'm reading.

Have you ever tried an ad blocker? They do such a good job making websites readable and even load faster. I even found the mobile version of Firefox supports the adblock add-on. Now websites are trying to be smart and guilt you for using an ad blocker by putting a message under the ad that got blocked.

I'm just not sure how well it will work with your audio problem. Maybe there is a mute all button you can click.

Now for what is bugging me...I recently saw someone on this forum using xBA and other Statcast statistics. I figured out that one source was Baseball Savant. They make it so easy to search a player...but you can't actually find all of the detailed stats I'm interested in. The only way I found to get them was to do an advanced search which is difficult to do...especially on a phone.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I don't understand why movie directors think it's so cute to make scenes with dialogue you cannot hear without cranking up the volume and then follow it up with gunfire, explosions or other racket. It doesn't add quality to the film, it detracts from it.

Archived