Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2017-2018)

CheezWizHed
  • Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the way, time off in the summer is unpaid... Teachers do not get paid for days we don't work. That is another falsehood that the uneducated like to throw in our faces. Hence the reason a lot of teachers take on summer jobs, they don't get paid for summer vacation.

That is not a complaint, I don't know a single teacher that complains about not being paid in the summer. As mentioned, we all knew that when we decided to go into teaching.

The complaint is the ignorance of those who have no idea that we do not get paid for all those days off... That is uncontracted time.

IDK, this line of argument isn't quite right especially in such a condescending tone. They're paid for the year like any base salary. Just so happens you don't haaaaave to work for several weeks in a row. I know many do summer school and other stuff to supplement. It's really just a semantics thing and no reason to call anyone ignorant over it. Take X amount of money and pay it over 12 months or over 10 months, doesn't matter. You're paid the same. One could just as easily argue back that due to that long stretch of time off it allows to add other income whereas one who doesn't have that long stretch off can't.

People vote against their own best interests all the time. People get duped. FVBrewersFan’s wife is no different than a lot of people out there.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

People vote against their own best interests all the time. People get duped. FVBrewersFan’s wife is no different than a lot of people out there.

She wasn't "duped." She supported what was best for all, not just looking out for herself and the fat cat hacks that run the union. Her district ended up saving a ton of money on health insurance as a result of Act 10.

By the way, time off in the summer is unpaid... Teachers do not get paid for days we don't work. That is another falsehood that the uneducated like to throw in our faces. Hence the reason a lot of teachers take on summer jobs, they don't get paid for summer vacation.

That is not a complaint, I don't know a single teacher that complains about not being paid in the summer. As mentioned, we all knew that when we decided to go into teaching.

The complaint is the ignorance of those who have no idea that we do not get paid for all those days off... That is uncontracted time.

IDK, this line of argument isn't quite right especially in such a condescending tone. They're paid for the year like any base salary. Just so happens you don't haaaaave to work for several weeks in a row. I know many do summer school and other stuff to supplement. It's really just a semantics thing and no reason to call anyone ignorant over it. Take X amount of money and pay it over 12 months or over 10 months, doesn't matter. You're paid the same. One could just as easily argue back that due to that long stretch of time off it allows to add other income whereas one who doesn't have that long stretch off can't.

It isn't semantics at all. The summer months are not paid, not contracted. The general public often thinks that teachers complain about their pay, but get all that time off. It just isn't the case. Unpaid days such as spring breaks, Christmas vacations, and summer days are not included in our base salary. They are unpaid days.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

She wasn't "duped." She supported what was best for all, not just looking out for herself and the fat cat hacks that run the union. Her district ended up saving a ton of money on health insurance as a result of Act 10.

Does "best for all" include the actual students she teaches? Saying that ACT 10 improved children's education is untrue, period...

Removing money from the statewide education budget hurts the kids.

Fewer teachers, due to budget cuts, is never a good thing for kids, no matter how you slice it. Packed classrooms with 35 or more kids due to hiring fewer teachers, or cutting positions to fit under the budget is not good for all.

Please explain how her district saved a bunch of money due to ACT 10. I'd be interested in knowing that information.

Also, I am actually not a democrat, so this is not political for me. I'm a conservative, and not afraid to say so. My feelings on the subject have nothing to do with politics, it has to do with the state of education since ACT 10 was passed, and it is all worse, in every possible way, which going back to my original statements, is why teachers are leaving our state and the profession at alarming rates. Fewer people are going into education too, which is also adding to the shortage we have now, and it's going to get worse, a LOT worse.

Political Forum would be the appropriate place for teachers to voice concerns about their massive pensions, pay schedule they knew going in, months of time off, and complete job security.

That comment makes me realize that you have no idea what today's teaching profession is like, not a clue in the world...

So many things so wrong with your statement, but the last part, "complete job security" is the funniest of all...

:tired

I thought the irony was it was a political statement, suggesting others get moved to the political forum. I laughed at massive pensions. I'd love to do away with our pension and get a 403b match. job security is pretty funny too.

As for the pay schedule...when I went in, I assumed I'd get occasional pay increases or COLA's. I've had 1 year where I saw more money than the year before out of my 12 years. I was ignorant of how bad it was in AZ, but have learned on the fly.

My contract for this year runs from July 31-May 24. It is not a full year job. I am paid for the ~42 weeks of the school year annually. I like my summer for travel. But the argument that we are paid for the entire year is ignorant. Many teachers voluntarily give their districts interest-free loans and get that money back in the summer. I chose the option of taking my pay during my contracted period.

IDK, this line of argument isn't quite right especially in such a condescending tone.

If you were a teacher, you'd find the comment below to be condescending, especially with so many mistruths in that one sentance...my reaction was just, my reaction...

Political Forum would be the appropriate place for teachers to voice concerns about their massive pensions, pay schedule they knew going in, months of time off, and complete job security.

My contract for this year runs from July 31-May 24. It is not a full year job. I am paid for the ~42 weeks of the school year annually. I like my summer for travel. But the argument that we are paid for the entire year is ignorant. Many teachers voluntarily give their districts interest-free loans and get that money back in the summer. I chose the option of taking my pay during my contracted period.

Are you contacted or an employee? Can you claim unemployment benefits for the summer?

Are you contacted or an employee? Can you claim unemployment benefits for the summer?

I don't look down on the profession, I look down at most of the teachers. Which is a shame, because I have a ton of respect for the really good ones.

Like any job, there are bad people that work there. An odd thing to say regardless. How many teachers do you know?

Yes, pay and benefits may have been tweaked a little but by and large you knew what you were getting when you started. So the claim of "I have to work summer because I don't get paid a lot" is exactly the type of whining I'm talking about.

I'm pretty sure I didnt whine. I simply responded to your post about how I work year round. You admit pay and benefits have changed, yet we knew what we were getting into? Hardly. I turned down a higher paying job with worse benefits right out of college in part, because of the benefits.

"Welcome to the real world" is exactly right. Every other position people work full time all year AND take continuing education courses that are required. (And rarely have any pension at all.

I'm curious how you would feel if the company you worked slashed your benefits after 10 years, had you on a pay freeze for 5 years, and changed your payscale?

The pension is great, but I also wouldn't mind a match system instead, but I'd have to look into it more.

Your comments sound like people I know who think teachers have it great. Why should they get something I dont get!?

We just want to be compensated as experts in the field.

lol I will never forget when all the hoopla was going on and teachers were rallying students to "walk out" and protest for them. Every teacher pretty much wasted half a class time giving their politically charged opinion on things and literally throwing a fit in front of a group of teenagers. Bias misleading information galore. It was cringy to watch.

Thanks for reminding me of that memory guys.

We didnt walk out. We worked that day.

lol I will never forget when all the hoopla was going on and teachers were rallying students to "walk out" and protest for them. Every teacher pretty much wasted half a class time giving their politically charged opinion on things and literally throwing a fit in front of a group of teenagers. Bias misleading information galore. It was cringy to watch.

Thanks for reminding me of that memory guys.

We didnt walk out. We worked that day.

Same here.

"Rallying students?" lol

"EVERY teacher pretty much wasted half a class..." Big broad strokes their buddy. You know not what you speak of.

The professional teachers didn't allow their students to see how they felt, it's part of the deal. I have never, not once, let my students know my political affiliations.

I am a certified employee (aka, teacher). We sign contracts for a work period. Laws prevent those with contracts from claiming unemployment during weeks outside of contract.

I actually thought about becoming a teacher before I decided not to. For me, it was all the crap teachers have to put up with and the politics that steered me away from it. Having summers off would be a huge perk though. I also prefer 1 on 1 training... which is actually what I get to do at my current job.

Regarding summers with teachers, I understand it is unpaid time off...but when it comes to taxes, all that matters is your yearly earnings. You have time built in to find a supplemental job...I know it probably won't compensate at the same rate. Also, I'm guessing you still get health insurance paid during the summer? Not exactly sure how that works.

If was a teacher, I would work a different job in the summer...maybe teach a fun summer school class or something related to golf. Once I got older, I would travel at this time or buy a golf pass and view it as vacation from my yearly salary.

In Wisconsin all public employees salaries are posted online. I will admit to creeping on my high school teachers in Janesville to see what they were complaining about with pay. To my amazement...the salaries were more than I would have expected. I thought with summers being off, it would be lower. I also looked at teachers with little experience and saw it was more than I expected too. Janesville might be different than other districts. I also was shocked to see what principals make. I was always confused why principals were needed when I was in school. Seemed they just did babysitting more than teaching.

Teachers get paid more than me and I have the same yearly mandatory training, pay freezes and benefits. I also work weekends and don't have breaks. Teaching isn't the best job in the world, but it doesn't seem like the worst.

Teachers get paid more than me and I have the same yearly mandatory training, pay freezes and benefits. I also work weekends and don't have breaks. Teaching isn't the best job in the world, but it doesn't seem like the worst.

If you dont mind me asking. How much do you make?

Teachers salary all depends on the state and district in which you live in. I just got out of small town Iowa, making small town salary. Now in Cedarburg, WI making better money. And the problem I am hearing from teachers who have been there for awhile now is that they say the only significant pay raise you’ll get is if you jump districts. It’s a huge reason why there is significant turnover of teachers in many of the surrounding districts including mine. And Act 10 was/is the biggest factor in that. I won’t ever argue someone that having summers off isn’t a great perk of my profession. But anyone that tells me that teachers are fairly compensated across our nation and/or that school districts don’t need more money distributed to them, are complete and utter fools in my book. The demand and expectations of teachers and schools are at an all time high with the lack of family structures in our nation and yet we are the first ones blamed for a lot of societal problems even though those people are the first ones to cut our funding or tell us that we have it too good.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think teacher salaries are pretty blah overall. It greatly depends on the size of the city in many cases. And I’m talking city size not cost of living (which is a big thing to note). You can make a pretty solid salary if you pick the right district.

I know a ton of small town teachers complain about salary, but at the same time they are living in a town of 2k where there are not many decent paying jobs with great benefits. So hard to complain there.

Teachers salary all depends on the state and district in which you live in. I just got out of small town Iowa, making small town salary. Now in Cedarburg, WI making better money. And the problem I am hearing from teachers who have been there for awhile now is that they say the only significant pay raise you’ll get is if you jump districts. It’s a huge reason why there is significant turnover of teachers in many of the surrounding districts including mine. And Act 10 was/is the biggest factor in that. I won’t ever argue someone that having summers off isn’t a great perk of my profession. But anyone that tells me that teachers are fairly compensated across our nation and/or that school districts don’t need more money distributed to them, are complete and utter fools in my book. The demand and expectations of teachers and schools are at an all time high with the lack of family structures in our nation and yet we are the first ones blamed for a lot of societal problems even though those people are the first ones to cut our funding or tell us that we have it too good.

You have to admit, where you are teaching now in Cedarburg can't really have a better family structure environment, and better support from parents.

You have to admit, where you are teaching now in Cedarburg can't really have a better family structure environment, and better support from parents.

Oh no doubt about it. Cedarburg is one of the more active communities when it comes to parent involvement that I’ve been around and it shows in a lot of ways. I was more so speaking in general terms across 50 states.

Why do people come to our shop and complain our prices are too high while paying for it? We are a mom and pops specialty shop who survives on quality over quantity, not a discount chain. It's like going to a five star restaurant and complaining their food is more expensive than McDonalds.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Why do people come to our shop and complain our prices are too high while paying for it? We are a mom and pops specialty shop who survives on quality over quantity, not a discount chain. It's like going to a five star restaurant and complaining their food is more expensive than McDonalds.

It's human nature for people to complain. Mom and Pop stores need to have quality and service to compete. Many of us realize that is what were paying for. Its like going to the neighborhood hardware store, and complaining to prices are higher than Home Depot. Yet, they don't realize when a question the customer asks is to a qualified employee at a neighborhood store or a 16 year old kid at Home Depot. Who are you going to trust.

Archived