Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2017-2018)

CheezWizHed
I also like these weird bluegrass bands like The Steeldrivers.

I have two Steeldrivers albums in my iTunes library. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm listening to their eponymous album as I type this..

My daughter is into bluegrass a lot and got me to try it. Some i think is flat out horrible, but one band she really likes and i think is pretty good is The Devil Makes Three. We are going to see them in Madison on the 19th.

Check them out if you want.

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recall the days when we could call radio stations with requests. We always figured that if a station would play Snopek, it was cool. Smaller stations in Milwaukee and Madison would do that, along with a reservation station in northwestern Wisconsin.

I stopped listening to commercial radio a long, long time ago. The big fat flaw is that artists have to fit their music to a formula to get played. It was a major bummer when Madison's WIBA suddenly changed from a free-flowing format to a commercially dictated format circa 1980. (Before that, they'd fulfill requests for Snopek. :))

Oh for the good old days of WMAD back in the early-mid 90's. The Resurrection Lunch. Real modern rock/alternative.

While not always, Q101 in Chicago will occasionally take requests (I think their 5pm rush hour programming is all requests, and most of it is not current music). Same with KROQ in LA. Both great radio stations that I forget I can listen to on-line, both still incorporate some local flair into their music, both will reach back and play stuff from the 00's and 90's more than most stations, both better than the alternative station on Sirius.

When i was younger, there were a collection of say roughly 20-30 big rock groups who sold a ton of albums/CD's and their fans would go see them in large arena shows, at stadiums, or large outdoor venues like Alpine Valley.

Now for many young people, they listen to an array of different artists, but don't buy CD's, meaning these bands don't get huge like in the past. So they can't put on shows in large venues. My kid is in her early 20's and sees lots of bands live, but most aren't super well known so they play in small venues. For example, a few months ago we went together with a few other people to see this band we both liked called Kaleo play at Turner Hall downtown. It holds maybe 500-600 people. I've seen two other bands play there. Been to quite a few shows at the Pabst Theater. She goes often to The Rave/Eagles Club to see bands, but rarely to ones in large venues.

Sure there are still some current pop/rock/rap groups who can and do play bigger venues. Look though when say Summerfest rolls around, many of the bigger stages are full of bands from the 70's/80's/90's where the fans of those bands are vast and went to big concerts. For so many current bands today, they tend to have smaller, but loyal followings because their fans may also have 150 or more groups/solo artists in playlists and often only a few songs by each.

Even for me, i now listen to a much more diverse amount of music than in my younger days, but a lot of the new music i find and like is say only 2-3-4 songs by this or that new artist i come across vs buying and listening to full albums/CD's in the past. Someone will send me a link to try this new group or song and i'll like it, but i only add a song or two from them to my listening list.

Oh the money I wasted on CDs because there was one song I liked.

The music industry has changed dramatically over the years. I have a couple of good friends who are in the business. Years ago you had a tour to support the release of an album; now you make pretty much nothing on albums, and you come out with albums to support a tour because the tour (and selling merchandise on the tour) is how you make any money now. If you can fill a 500-person music hall you are doing great.

You do get a fraction of a cent for every YouTube video view. My friend and I calculated that the Robin Thicke video (the unrated version) had enough views that YouTube paid them roughly $600,000; but you have to have well over 100M views to get that kind of $. My friend's band had a song purchased by CBS for NCIS: New Orleans; they played in in a strip club at the beginning of the show for a minute and got about $30K.

If you have strong appeal to millennials (and now Gen Z) you will make your millions on endorsements, not your music.

I also like these weird bluegrass bands like The Steeldrivers.

I have two Steeldrivers albums in my iTunes library. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm listening to their eponymous album as I type this..

My daughter is into bluegrass a lot and got me to try it. Some i think is flat out horrible, but one band she really likes and i think is pretty good is The Devil Makes Three. We are going to see them in Madison on the 19th.

Check them out if you want.

Thanks for sharing! I'll have to check out Steeldrivers as well. I've always really enjoyed Blue Grass. I actually would say there isn't too much music out there that I won't give a try. I really love Trampled By Turtles, the band from Duluth. I have several of their albums and love their style. I also have really gotten in to Jerry Garcia's side music that he had done. He did a blue grass album called "Old and In The Way," that is awesome. He also has several albums with David Grisman that are really cool. They are really folky/bluegrassy and I listen to them all the time. If you have young kids, I highly suggest the album "Not For Kids Only." My three year old son loves it!

The petition going around social media to ban Aikman and Buck from every calling a Packers game. It's just so Packer fan (and I am one).

FYI, that started years ago.

Aikman has gotten better, but early in his broadcast career he had an obvious anti-Packer bias (when Favre was still playing for the Packers). They don't bother me now, but I don't get how they are the lead Fox broadcast team. They miss so many plays live until the replay happens (oh, now I see the hold/facemask/false start...). They must not actually watch the plays as they call them.

They are better than the later years of John Madden and Pat Summerall. Or anytime Jerry Glanville was in the booth.

I really don't understand the anti-Packers bias that I hear so many people talk about. Buck is just terrible at calling a game no matter who's playing or what the sport is. He's hated by both baseball and footballs fans so it's not just a Packers fans thing.

I also don't like the Buck / Aikman combo, but am not sure why. I'd be curious to know what the Packers record is in games called by Buck / Aikman. I'm willing to bet their winning percentage in these games is lower than non Buck / Aikman games because the Packers are typically playing better competition in games called by Buck / Aikman. I think Packer fans have formed a subtle bias against the pair because they associate them with games in which the Packers have played poorly.

This was bothering me, so I had to do some digging:

Packers' Record Since 2011 (including Playoffs): 69-34 (0.670)

with Buck / Aikman: 23-14 (0.622)

with All Other Announcers: 46-20 (0.697)

That's why (I think) I hate Joe Buck and Troy Aikman.

The fact that this was even figured out, bugs me. The worse record could have to do with it being a key matchup game

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The fact that this was even figured out, bugs me. The worse record could have to do with it being a key matchup game

In no way was I implying that Buck / Aikman have an impact on the game. Of course, the strength of the opponent factors in to that lower winning percentage. I'm just trying to rationalize fans' dislike for the pair. They call 35.9% of all Packer games, but account for 41.2% of the losses.

Embedding YouTube videos in BF.net posts is bugging me. It really slows down the page load time.

I may or may not have purposely posted this knowing the thread was on #600, and that the next post would generate a new page.

What the heck is Fox Crossing?

I don't know but maybe there should've been one on the interstate to work today. Saw one laying on the side of the road.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I primarily use Twitter for sports stuff - virtually everyone I follow (other than my friends) are sports writers, broadcasters, inside guys, etc. I don't post a ton, but I find Twitter extremely useful for finding out information, getting breaking news, that type of stuff.

I realize that these people can post whatever they want, but when you're a twitter verified sports celebrity, most people are following you for your sports knowledge. Lately, a TON of people I follow have been going on long political rants and posting very pointed thoughts about Trump, Hillary, etc. They are entitled to their opinions certainly, it just drives me nuts that they use their sports celebrity to essentially blatantly promote their political views (Seth Davis is the worst right now IMO, every other post of his is about politics and not sports). Yes, I know I can unfollow them, it just really bugs me. People are following you for sports, without sports, nobody would even know who you are, enough with the political agendas.

That's not limited to sports personalities. Same is true for TV and movie actors. And family, and friends. Which is why I gave up social media a couple months ago, and never looked back. Probably easier at my age than younger people, but I highly recommend it. I get a Bleacher Report feed, and that's it.

Twitter is my favorite of the social media platforms by far. Mainly for the same reasons you mentioned. It's my news and sports source. Up to the minute information coming to you. As soon as a reporter starts to bother me, I just unfollow. I also don't follow many athletes because they usually get annoying pretty quickly. I like to keep who I'm following pretty fresh, so I try to go out and get rid of accounts I don't enjoy seeing that much. I follow friends on there too, but they seem to do a lot less posting, and when they do, it's rarely a "look at me" moment. It's usually quick and funny. I appreciate that about twitter.

Facebook is pretty much dead to me. I do enjoy instagram, but mainly for my own pictures. I enjoy taking pictures, and it's a place for me to post them and keep my favorites. Mainly it's my close friends that follow me on there and I like that.

As a society we just need to drop politics for awhile. The election's over, what's done is done, let's just get on with our lives instead of being so roped into our joy or anger over it. My friends and I have a Facebook message group which we chat on all day. I just had to turn it off a couple hours ago because of their constant political bickering and bantering over the last 24 hours. None of which is substantive, it's just emotional babble. So I guess that's bugging me.

My dog got into an unopened container of dates yesterday and proceeded to only throw up while my wife and I were (trying to) sleep. My dog should be fine now but that was a lot of dates. I should post in the What's not bugging you thread about my deep love of coffee.

It's not uncommon for me to go into the restroom at work and see small puddles (occasionally a moderate one) underneath one of the urinals.

It's not like I work at a fast food restaurant or a bus stop and have a broad spectrum of humanity passing through the restroom. I work at one of the largest bio-pharma companies in the world, and you need to be pretty darned smart just to be allowed to walk in the door.

How in the hell do you miss a urinal?!?

A casual acquaintance of mine died yesterday. He had been sick for quite a while but was getting better. He went to the hospital for an issue not related to his illness, needed emergency surgery and died on the table. That isn't what's bugging me the most though. He lives by himself and has no family anywhere near here. I'm sure he went to the hospital by himself and probably quite a few hours passed before the hospital had anyone to inform that he died. I was reading through some Facebook posts on his wall and most of his family never even knew he was sick. He's active in the community so he's not a shut in or anything but it just feels wrong to me that his life ended and there was no one there.

It's not uncommon for me to go into the restroom at work and see small puddles (occasionally a moderate one) underneath one of the urinals.

It's not like I work at a fast food restaurant or a bus stop and have a broad spectrum of humanity passing through the restroom. I work at one of the largest bio-pharma companies in the world, and you need to be pretty darned smart just to be allowed to walk in the door.

How in the hell do you miss a urinal?!?

More than likely it is condensation dripping from the cold porcelain.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

More than likely it is condensation dripping from the cold porcelain.

Nope. Some might be, but some of them are too big to be condensation drippings (especially considering they clean them multiple times a day), and some of them - like the one this afternoon - are not directly underneath the urinal.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived