Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2017-2018)

CheezWizHed
I had a bad knee injury in HS. I had no problem staying in shape while riding an exercise bike in my 20s. Now I’m 33 and the same old habits aren’t working. A few weeks ago, I started walking at a brisk pace for 40 minutes / day (plus a 2-hour walk on the weekends). Feeling great. Now I’m starting with knee pain. :(

My situation is similar to GAME05. Three years ago I began experiencing some knee pain. An MRI revealed the ligament attaching my quad to my kneecap is 50% torn from the kneecap. At then age 50, decided to live with it. A good PT showed me some exercises to strengthen the hip and quads. I now do activities pain free. If you're in Milwaukee, PM me and I'll pass along his name.

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I've seen a lot of is that when you're first getting back to an exercise that involves your legs, when the quads weaken it can affect the tendon that helps hold your kneecap in place. And that's what causes the knee pain. It goes away once the quads get a little stronger. A good solution is a patella tendon brace or even just a handkerchief tied just under the kneecap. That holds your kneecap in place and can really reduce the knee pain.

I surveyed the knee brace selection at Target yesterday and noticed the patella tendon brace you recommended. Would the larger sleeve style brace give me the same support around the knee cap (plus a little more) or is that more of a general purpose brace?

I had a bad knee injury in HS. I had no problem staying in shape while riding an exercise bike in my 20s. Now I’m 33 and the same old habits aren’t working. A few weeks ago, I started walking at a brisk pace for 40 minutes / day (plus a 2-hour walk on the weekends). Feeling great. Now I’m starting with knee pain. :(

My situation is similar to GAME05. Three years ago I began experiencing some knee pain. An MRI revealed the ligament attaching my quad to my kneecap is 50% torn from the kneecap. At then age 50, decided to live with it. A good PT showed me some exercises to strengthen the hip and quads. I now do activities pain free. If you're in Milwaukee, PM me and I'll pass along his name.

I really appreciate that! My wife teaches at a small college and has some neat benefits, including free access to an on-site physical therapist at the student health center. Her benefits extend to spouses, so I think I’ll start there. It’s also a good excuse to meet my wife for lunch on campus. It’s like a date except we don’t need to hire a babysitter. :)

What I've seen a lot of is that when you're first getting back to an exercise that involves your legs, when the quads weaken it can affect the tendon that helps hold your kneecap in place. And that's what causes the knee pain. It goes away once the quads get a little stronger. A good solution is a patella tendon brace or even just a handkerchief tied just under the kneecap. That holds your kneecap in place and can really reduce the knee pain.

I surveyed the knee brace selection at Target yesterday and noticed the patella tendon brace you recommended. Would the larger sleeve style brace give me the same support around the knee cap (plus a little more) or is that more of a general purpose brace?

If you truly believe you have patella tendinitis, buy the small thin brace.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/patellar-tendinitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20376113

Icing is important to reduce symptoms and doing strengthening exercises to improve the stabilization in your legs can only reduce the strain on your knees -- planks, squats, lunges, calf raises, etc etc.

Anyway, if pain continues, please, for your sake, go to the doctor!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The Ho-Chuck Gaming "Let's Go Back" commercial. Just grating! And they play it nearly as much as Pizza Ranch and Gruber Lawffices.
It's been discussed here before, but that HoChunk ad is the worst. What era is that couple even supposed to be from? I can't figure it out.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Ho-Chuck Gaming "Let's Go Back" commercial. Just grating! And they play it nearly as much as Pizza Ranch and Gruber Lawffices.
It's been discussed here before, but that HoChunk ad is the worst. What era is that couple even supposed to be from? I can't figure it out.

The mid-50's to early 70's. Every single year in between.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I have to say that is one nice thing about watching the Brewers on FS1 today. Different ads than the 4 that Fox Sports Wisconsin constantly cycles through.

Maybe it's just me, but I get a 90's vibe from younger them.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

House hunting. So excited to be moving back to Wisconsin and house hunting has been an absolute buzz kill.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I hate car shopping, new or used. I hate the negotiation part mostly.

After 2 or 3 weeks of shopping online, I finally made some decisions, and started test driving.

The hassle and time it takes to find a new ride bugs me. Paying for a new ride bugs me.

Owning our 2nd brand new car ever does not bug me. We usually buy low mileage used.

Went with a 2018 Ford Escape. Had to get the sports package, black rims, vista panoramic moonroof, 4WD, and many other great options.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Why do drivers seem to assume that left turn red arrow lights are optional? Typically when one is going straight and the light turns red, a driver stops. Yet when I'm in the lane facing opposite bound traffic and they have a green arrow, there have been days at a certain intersection where I've had to sit and wait for a good 10 seconds after my light turns green as cars continue to turn left in front of me.

Dangerous, illegal, and annoying. Your time is NOT any more valuable than mine.

I drove on up the alcan, Wisconsin up to mat-su valley, so I was out of the loop for a while, no signal my phone could use. I was hoping to find happier brew crew news when I got tuned back in. 5 game sweep really makes me long for the days when we owned the Pirates. Good to see they conquered kershaw today though.

Having to call AT&T for the fourth time now because we were supposed to be credited for a buy one get one phone starting last Feb. Still haven't received the credit for any bills that have come after the calls, and still haven't received the credit for the months we've had to pay previous. About to lose my mind!!!!!!!

I hate car shopping, new or used. I hate the negotiation part mostly.

After 2 or 3 weeks of shopping online, I finally made some decisions, and started test driving.

The hassle and time it takes to find a new ride bugs me. Paying for a new ride bugs me.

Owning our 2nd brand new car ever does not bug me. We usually buy low mileage used.

Went with a 2018 Ford Escape. Had to get the sports package, black rims, vista panoramic moonroof, 4WD, and many other great options.

I have a 2014 Escape. It's been great. We got the turbo charged version so it has some great pickup. Thing rides smooth - no issues in 4+ years (cross fingers).

As for negotiating - here's how I do this with cars.

1. Figure out the cars you are interested in. Do this online at edmunds.com, kbb.com, other car sites. When I got my Escape, I narrowed it down to five models.

2. Go to the dealer - or call - and set up an appointment to drive the car.

3. Drive each car. Tell dealer the car is one of the ones you are interested in. Tell them to e-mail you the best price by a specific time. Move on to your next test drive.

4. Get all the quotes in on your phone. Make a decision.

5. Never (or almost never) buy the extra stuff they try and sell you. Gap insurance, special waxes/coatings, extended warranties. They are greatly overpriced, and rarely used.

I've done this a few times and essentially gotten what I feel was a decent deal (based upon researching pricing online, plus talking with my brother, who works at a car dealership). I don't like negotiating. I just like to get what I think is a decent offer. I just say this to my salesperson, and tell them they have one chance to make a sale.

Make use of your local UPS Store and/or FedEx Office.

DHL. Not only is there no facility anywhere near me, they also don't give you a delivery window. Wish it was FedEx (6 blocks from my house) or USPS (4 blocks from my house).

Any Amazon Lockers near you? That's been my go to recently. That's assuming you order things off of Amazon obviously.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Maybe it's just me, but I get a 90's vibe from younger them.

Ho Chunk didn't move beyond bingo until the late 80's, early 90's so the young couple being from an era of 50's to early 70's would not make sense. However, they appear to be in their 20's when they won the car, so if it was 1990 and they were 25, that would make them 53 now. That's only about a year older than my wife and I. I sure hope I don't look as old as the guy in the commercial. I know my wife does not look as old as the woman does. I would guess they are mid 60's? So, the timeline does not make sense at all, unless you assume the scene with the guy polishing the car is in the future, like 2025 or so. Oh, and I also don't think they were giving away cars when they first ventured into slots.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Planning a vacation out east next month, evaluating the combinations of where to fly into and when. Found a flight that went for $313, but wanted to secure lodging first so I would where to land. Two days later, the price is $363.

The fleas are bad enough, but now I'm killing 20 tent caterpillars in the house every day.

I've been avoiding it, but I think the only solution I have is to bomb the house. I guess the cats can get put up at a vet ($$$) but I don't have anywhere to stay for a week, myself. Guess I'll go camping for a week. Not that I have the vacation time since my parents want to visit for a full week.

I am trying to think of the name of an old educational show from the 1990's.

It was a reading show where there was a bad guy on a motorcycle and the kids had to solve a riddle from a book.

I am not sure if it was an actual TV show or if it was just used as a teaching tool in school.

Archived