Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2017-2018)

CheezWizHed
What's bugging me today is coworkers who come to work while sick, which this week has resulted in my catching a cold JUST AS the season is getting underway. :angry

One of the issues here is companies who don't offer sick time. My paid vacation and other benefits are great, but the paid personal/sick days aren't there.

So if I get sick and should be out of work for say 2 days, that's a huge hit to staying on budget for the month. I have a family of 5 on solely my income so she can stay home with the kids. If it's really bad, I'm going to call in. But if it's something I can push through, I have to choose between doing that and potentially spreading a virus or staying home for 2 days and taking a $500 or so hit. Not a great decision to have to make.

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I realize that it's a difficult choice for too many workers. In this instance (which I probably should have specified above, but I have a cold so cut me some slack), the colleague who's been ill has ample leave time available. We were running on a skeleton crew last week because it was UW-Madison's spring break, but if he'd said he wasn't feeling well, we could have worked things out so he could go home and keep his germs to himself.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

This has been a week. We got home from Disney on Saturday, so we had just experienced a high. Then my grandfather passed away Sunday, my back went out, and I had to have a root canal. On top of it, it's supposed to snow Sunday on our way home from Iowa (where his funeral is being held). Also, I had a sub at school today and was blasted by emails and texts from students and colleagues saying my sub was "crazy" and he was asked to leave halfway through the day. That's not my problem but I had to do a small amount of work for the new sub for tomorrow. This is the penance for going to Disney last week and having a great vacation.

So sorry to hear that news. Hope things get better.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

So sorry to hear that news. Hope things get better.

Unfortunately, she passed away today, one week after my grandfather passed away. Needless to say, this week has been one of the most difficult weeks my family has had.

Thoughts are with all of you. That seems to happen often where one passes and then shortly after the other one goes. Broken heart syndrome I think they call it. Either way, I feel for you and your family.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Texting and/or checking social media and Driving (sorry, need to put this one out there about once a year).

If you think you are good at it, you are wrong. You stink at it. No one is good at it. You can't stay in your lane and your speed is inconsistent. Not only are you a danger, you are a complete annoyance. One minute you are on top of the car in front of you, the next minute you are giving a 10 car gap. At the very least, if for some reason you lack the will power to not look at your phone while you are driving, please get out of the left lane.

Also, on the topic of the left lane. In a busier Urban area, especially during rush hour, the left lane is not really a passing lane. It's more of a lane for people who are focused on their driving and for the most part, keeping up with the car in front of them (going with the flow of the lane). In more rural less traveled 4 lane highways, the left lane should only be used for passing and when driving on these rural highways, please, I beg you, use your cruise control and just go ONE speed!

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I have been a lurker since late 2003/2004.

I visit everyday (several times a day actually) since I retired.

When I read this to my wife of 40 years. She asked if I wrote that.

We live in western Wisconsin and frequently travel the River Road to La Crosse.

It drives me nuts when people do not use cruise control.

Don't get me on cell phone usage. Last time we went to Milwaukee, we had to "escape on the shoulder" 4 maybe 5 time thanks to inattentive driving by phone users.

UGH!!!

We're two weeks into the season, and I'm pretty sure I never want to eat at Pizza Ranch, just because of that dumb commercial with Craig Coshun that airs nearly every half inning on the TV broadcast.

A freaking MEN!

Doubt I would ever call Gruber Lawffices (Law Offices) either...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Also, on the topic of the left lane. In a busier Urban area, especially during rush hour, the left lane is not really a passing lane. It's more of a lane for people who are focused on their driving and for the most part, keeping up with the car in front of them (going with the flow of the lane).

No, not really, in a busier urban area the left lane is the slow lane for some reason that I cannot understand. With rare exception (downtown Chicago being one of them) there aren't on-ramps merging into the left hand lane, so why the hell is it slower than the other lanes?

Speaking of the word "so", what's bugging me is the number of people lately who are starting sentences with the word "So...". No, you should not start a sentence with the word "so".

We're two weeks into the season, and I'm pretty sure I never want to eat at Pizza Ranch, just because of that dumb commercial with Craig Coshun that airs nearly every half inning on the TV broadcast.

Ironically enough, a Pizza Ranch is under construction four blocks from my home. Kinda looking forward to it.

I enjoy Pizza Ranch's chicken more than their pizza.

A freaking MEN!

Doubt I would ever call Gruber Lawffices (Law Offices) either...

Oh God, that Gruber guy... I try really hard not to be a superficial jerk and hate him because of how he looks but he's a freaking human bobble head and it really gets on my nerves. I literally started shouting at the tv the other night to learn how to talk without bobbling your head like a normal human being. I also think I came to the conclusion he must be an alien for the same reason.

I like Pizza Ranch though. That commercial is just way over played, it wouldn't be so bad otherwise.

No, not really, in a busier urban area the left lane is the slow lane for some reason that I cannot understand. With rare exception (downtown Chicago being one of them) there aren't on-ramps merging into the left hand lane, so why the hell is it slower than the other lanes?

Not sure, but in theory it's probably people wanting to merge into that lane to get out of the merging lanes on the right. Some of them will be slower drivers that would/should normally be in the right/slow lanes.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Also, on the topic of the left lane. In a busier Urban area, especially during rush hour, the left lane is not really a passing lane. It's more of a lane for people who are focused on their driving and for the most part, keeping up with the car in front of them (going with the flow of the lane).

That is true at some points and I have especially noticed it going East and West bound through the Zoo interchange in Milwaukee since the construction has been completed (for the most part) in that area. Here is what I witness, 2 things actually.

A) They took away all the left lane on and off ramps to improve the flow of traffic. This seems logical. However, now, for example, going West bound on I-94 through the interchange, the 2 right lanes split off to go to I41 north and I41 south (although the connection to 41S is not quite complete yet). There is more traffic that wants to continue west bound on 94 than wants to "split off", so you go from 4 lanes of traffic to 2 lanes west bound through the core, then back to 4 lanes once you get through the core, then back to 3. There is also less traffic entering I94 west of the interchange than is already on it in the left 2 lanes. So, this creates less traffic in those right lanes (that come from I41)...which leads to...

B) Cars in the left lane see this and get into the "faster" right lanes and then a mile or two down the road merge back into the left lane when traffic gets back to "normal". Guess what chain effect this has? It further slows down the left lane as all these "line jumpers" are merging back into the left lane.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I know it's Wisconsin and we should expect it, but my goodness. The middle of freaking April and we get a foot of snow dumped on last night with a foot or more on top of that coming tonight.

Also, this is not light, fluffy snow, it's extremely dense and heavy and difficult to remove by shovel.

I know it's Wisconsin and we should expect it, but my goodness. The middle of freaking April and we get a foot of snow dumped on last night with a foot or more on top of that coming tonight.

Also, this is not light, fluffy snow, it's extremely dense and heavy and difficult to remove by shovel.

difficult to remove by snow blower too. All those layers of sleet and ice underneath, it's a complete nightmare.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

difficult to remove by snow blower too. All those layers of sleet and ice underneath, it's a complete nightmare.

I just had hernia surgery, so it was fun trying to show my wife how to run the snowblower and watching as she got frustrated that the wheels would just spin or it would go over the top of the snow. We just decided to drive over it for the next week or however long it lasts.

Archived