Brewer Fanatic

Any clothes washer experts?

jerichoholicninja
About a year ago our washer stopped spinning completely. A repair man looked at it and said that some seal had broken and water leaked into the housing and it was just stuck. He freed it and it occasionally would lock up but I could free it by hand and it would work fine just loud as hell. Now it won't spin at all during a wash cycle but it spins fine if I set it to a spin cycle. It doesn't make sense to me that it would spin fine on one setting and not at all on another. Is this some sort of computer issue or what? I've tried other wash settings and the same thing happens but any spin cycle and it works fine.

Without knowing the detail or seeing it, I would guess the machine now needs:

1. Seal kit.
  2. Drum bearings.
  3. Controller card (likely because water has leaked on it from item #1).

Repair costs will depend on make and model. Depending on age/general condition, it may not be worth spending the money on it.

Without knowing the detail or seeing it, I would guess the machine now needs:

1. Seal kit.
  2. Drum bearings.
  3. Controller card (likely because water has leaked on it from item #1).

Repair costs will depend on make and model. Depending on age/general condition, it may not be worth spending the money on it.

The first two things are what was wrong last time. I know nothing about what a controller card is but it sounds electronic and wouldn't that fry the whole thing and effect everything instead of only one setting?

You said that a "repair man" "freed it", not that the seal/s and bearing/s were replaced. i.e. the issue remained but the machine operated after a fashion.

From your description, the motor will only run at full-speed. For all we know, the timer may completely bypass the controller card to do this but even if it doesn't, failure of certain components on the controller card would also produce this symptom.

I suggest you input the make, model number and symptoms into Google and see what others are saying. If they concur, price a replacement controller card. You will also have labor on top of this. The cause of failure could either be water dripping onto it or partially seized bearings.

Do you think it is normal that a machine seizes, needs freed, makes a lot of noise? These are all signs of impending doom. There could be further damage to the spider and/or shaft. If the issues extend that far, the machine is highly likely to be uneconomical to repair. As things stand at the moment, you'd probably be better off looking for a reconditioned machine rather than incur the extra expense of an engineer's visit, only to tell you how many arms and legs it will cost to repair your existing one.

Archived