Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim 1B Jesus Aguilar, DFA Adrianza

JDBrewCrew
There's absolutely no way we're cutting Aguilar now, I'd think. He's guaranteed to be picked up by someone, and we could use a righty to back up Thames (Perez will already be backing up Shaw), plus having a nice bat off the bench would be nice. He's shown too much potential this spring to just let him go.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The merits of keeping Aguilar aside, it's nice that versatility of this team allows them to keep a more one dimensional guy like Aguilar when needed.

Shaw, Villar, Perez - those guys ability to move around the diamond just lets us keep someone like Aguilar.

To me, the big issue is can you keep a player like Aguilar and a player like Scooter - both one dimensional players. I just don't see it.

Are we all sold about Thames being an everyday Player?

If we have any faith in the Brewer scouting department, then we have to be, or at least we have to give him some benefit of the doubt. Thames was signed to a three-year deal to be a starter, so his spring bats are pretty much meaningless.

Aguilar was picked up from the proverbial scrap heap to try to compete for the final bench spot. His spring PAs are meaningful for him to try to secure that spot. However, if he makes the team and falls flat over the first month or two, there will be no hesitation to dump him and bring up someone else.

Hopefully, if Aguilar makes the opening day roster, he will provide a nice bat off the bench, and give Thames some time off against some LHP. It will be a big setback to the rebuild if Aguilar becomes our regular starting first baseman for a reason other than a short-term Thames injury.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The merits of keeping Aguilar aside, it's nice that versatility of this team allows them to keep a more one dimensional guy like Aguilar when needed.

Shaw, Villar, Perez - those guys ability to move around the diamond just lets us keep someone like Aguilar.

To me, the big issue is can you keep a player like Aguilar and a player like Scooter - both one dimensional players. I just don't see it.

Normally, no you couldn't (or wouldn't.) But you said it yourself, versatility of Villar and Perez makes it possible. At least to start the season. Plus, for better or worse, they seem dead-set on having Gennett ready to play other positions in a pinch.

It's not ideal roster construction, but should be very manageable.

Normally, no you couldn't (or wouldn't.) But you said it yourself, versatility of Villar and Perez makes it possible. At least to start the season. Plus, for better or worse, they seem dead-set on having Gennett ready to play other positions in a pinch.

It's not ideal roster construction, but should be very manageable.

Don't forget Brauns versatility. Not only can he play RF but we know he can play 3B and SS. He could probably catch in a pinch too.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Are we all sold about Thames being an everyday Player?

I'm not sold, but I can think of $15M reasons the Brewers are going to give him a reasonably long leash.

There's something to be said for Thames reacclamating to MLB pitching. And there's nothing to lose by keeping Aguilar on the team. With where the team is -- smack in the middle of a rebuild -- these are the sorts of gambles/decisions that the Brewers have time to sort through as the season unfolds.

Archived