Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim 1B Jesus Aguilar, DFA Adrianza

JDBrewCrew

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Might have just found Thames platoon mate.

Except he hit .178 against LHP at AAA last year.

Aguilar had a strong season in the VWL. With his power he's worth a look in Arizona. Doubt if everyone's healthy that he's got a place on the roster going forward though.

Who will the Brewers claim next? I mean this guy has to be DFA'd in 48 hours right?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

as the resident Tribe fan here let me say this....

:laughing ;) :laughing

Actually met him and spoke with him during a MWL Single A game. He hit a blast I will not forget how nice he was before and after the homer.

You could do worse (ie Wily Mo Pena). I would just suggest hiding his glove for the protection of all.

Adding the most talent to the 40 man roster as possible is something a team should be doing no matter what stage of competitiveness they are in. I like the idea of using the bottom of the 40 man to filter through fringe players and see what they have.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Who will the Brewers claim next? I mean this guy has to be DFA'd in 48 hours right?

Churning the bottom of the roster hoping to get lucky and find a diamond in the rough is exactly what Stearns should be doing.

While I agree with you, so far we are 0-fer in our attempts to churn anything.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Churning the bottom of the roster hoping to get lucky and find a diamond in the rough is exactly what Stearns should be doing.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this comment or you are just referencing this offseason, but wouldn't last season's 3.0 bWAR, likely 2017 opening day starter be something?

Guessing Brew4U is talking more about how the Claim-DFA-Retain process has only gotten through the first two steps this offseason. They've claimed and then lost Walker, Parker, and Geltz so far (anyone else?), and are likely to have wasted time and money on Adrianza as well. Also get the feeling it is just a matter of time before they try the same thing with Aguilar.

They also lost Liriano trying to get him through waivers.

I don't disagree with that usage of the 40th spot, but to this point they are coming up empty this offseason.

It would take them going with a 12 man pitching staff for there to be a open spot on the opening day roster as barring a trade the 12 positional guys are pretty set: Shaw, Arcia, Villar, Thames, Perez, Gennett, Braun, Broxton, Santana, Nieuwenhuis, Susac and either Bandy or Pina.

Could they get enough AB's for Arguilar with that roster? Would need I think to use Thames in LF on days were Braun takes off. Could they make Perez the backup in CF in addition to IF utility role , and replace Nieuwenhuis with Aguilar as a bench bat? He has hit RHP well in the minors and Gennett's around to be prime LH bench bat.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this comment or you are just referencing this offseason, but wouldn't last season's 3.0 bWAR, likely 2017 opening day starter be something?

Guessing Brew4U is talking more about how the Claim-DFA-Retain process has only gotten through the first two steps this offseason. They've claimed and then lost Walker, Parker, and Geltz so far (anyone else?), and are likely to have wasted time and money on Adrianza as well. Also get the feeling it is just a matter of time before they try the same thing with Aguilar.

They also lost Liriano trying to get him through waivers.

I don't disagree with that usage of the 40th spot, but to this point they are coming up empty this offseason.

This is exactly what I was talking about. The process so far hasn't yielded a thing and we've actually lost out on a decent upside of a player (Liriano)

That strategy seemed to work much better in season getting a guy off waivers and then sending to the minors. That said he has had success removing Hernan Perez off the 40 man in the prior off season and then producing in the majors the following year. He also removed Goforth and Barrios this past off season and they are still in the organization as relief options for 2017. Guerra wasn't DFA after they acquired him but was an major success for a waiver claim. Most of these claims or DFA are not going to work out but all it takes is one or two to make it a success with little risk or money involved.

The system maybe needs to be fixed when looking at an individual case like Adam Brett Walker and him being claimed and DFA on a regular basis but this is the system Stearns has to deal with right now and I like that he is using all avenues to bring in more talent.

This move doesn't make as much sense to me. At least Adrianza was versatile. Jesus sounds like he will be stuck at 1B. On the bright side, when we pick up the next guy and DFA him to AAA he might mash at CS.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Archived