Brewer Fanatic

INF Ehire Adrianza claimed, Scahill DFA

JDBrewCrew
I think it means that Nieuwenhuis is the only backup OF, which means Perez and Gennett better get their OF gloves ready for spring training. And I don't think they were sold on Rivera, so he goes back to AAA.

That was a given wasn't it? Perez proved he can play anywhere in the OF last year. It comes down to a 13th pitcher or an extra infielder.

I think before the trade, there was a chance they kept a 5th OF over Rivera. Then Gennett and Perez would see most action in the IF.

I'm whatever on both ends of this deal but I'm assuming some infielder has to be on the move. Otherwise it makes no sense to tie up this many 40 man spots on no hit, utility infielders on a team with no shot at competing.

While the focus is on the long term building, they've assembled a team with more than "no shot at competing". A lot would have to break right, mostly with the pitching, but it's not no shot if guys like Peralta and Nelson put together a full season worth of what they've flashed in the past, and Guerra and Davies simply repeat their 2016 seasons. They aren't capable of 90+ wins of the elite teams, but 90 wins isn't the benchmark for competing. I lived through the bottom years of the Cub's rebuild and those teams had no shot. This roster is miles better.

They have no illusions of competing. Even Mark A and CC made statements over the weekend in this regard.

With that said, they don't want to be awful either. So I agree with you in that regard. The Brewers believe it doesn't help young players develop when you're blown out in most games. That's why Stearns continues to tinker with the 40 man, he wants to make it as good as possible without spending much money, which is a really smart way to approach things this year IMHO.

He seems to me to be the same player as Rivera though.

His career AAA line is .311/.391/.822 in Fresno/Sacto

Rivera's line is: .232/.264/.577 in Colorado Springs

Rivera is about as close to him as Travis Shaw is to Kris Bryant.

For a bigger sample, Rivera's minor league OPS is .633 and Adrianza's is .694, but I strongly agree with the larger point. This is why I did not want the Brewers to protect Rivera - there will be other guys as good or better who will be available via the waiver wire for free. Would rather have Diaz than Rivera.

They have no illusions of competing. Even Mark A and CC made statements over the weekend in this regard.

With that said, they don't want to be awful either. So I agree with you in that regard. The Brewers believe it doesn't help young players develop when you're blown out in most games. That's why Stearns continues to tinker with the 40 man, he wants to make it as good as possible without spending much money, which is a really smart way to approach things this year IMHO.

Attanasio lost me a long time ago. He's doing all he can to temper enthusiasm for the current roster? I get that he doesn't want false expectations and hopes fans will still show up even for a 90+ loss team but it's silly. People know where this team is. Nobody's going to be disappointed if they don't contend this year, but the manager and players don't need to hear that kind of stuff from their owner.

Low expectations are almost a sure fire way to insure low results. All you have to do is see the mess in inner city schools across the country.

Why doesn't baseball just instruct the Cubs to organize another celebration and not bother with playing the season if half the teams in the game aren't playing to win?

If I was owner, I'd say something like "We are now well into our rebuild process, and while we're not to the point where it's realistic to expect us to contend, we are hoping for more players already here to emerge as viable major league talents that can blend with the prospects nearing the major leagues to form a competitive team in the fairly near future that will grow into a strong contender for an extended period. It remains to be seen if we'll see progress in the W/L record in 2017, but it's certainly not a horrible roster right now with potential for some immediate improvement and in baseball you just never know."

If I was owner, I'd say something like "We are now well into our rebuild process, and while we're not to the point where it's realistic to expect us to contend, we are hoping for more players already here to emerge as viable major league talents that can blend with the prospects nearing the major leagues to form a competitive team in the fairly near future that will grow into a strong contender for an extended period. It remains to be seen if we'll see progress in the W/L record in 2017, but it's certainly not a horrible roster right now with potential for some immediate improvement and in baseball you just never know."

That's almost exactly what he said, other than that last little bolded part.

He seems to me to be the same player as Rivera though.

His career AAA line is .311/.391/.822 in Fresno/Sacto

Rivera's line is: .232/.264/.577 in Colorado Springs

Rivera is about as close to him as Travis Shaw is to Kris Bryant.

For a bigger sample, Rivera's minor league OPS is .633 and Adrianza's is .694, but I strongly agree with the larger point. This is why I did not want the Brewers to protect Rivera - there will be other guys as good or better who will be available via the waiver wire for free. Would rather have Diaz than Rivera.

Sure but that includes what Adrianza over 10 years ago. I know people have mixed feelings about projections, but ZIPs pegs Ehire worth 2.5 more wins/500PA. They aren't really close. I'm not wild about Ehire's present or future, but his offense is pretty much projected to equal to Scooter and Hernan.

Attanasio lost me a long time ago. He's doing all he can to temper enthusiasm for the current roster? I get that he doesn't want false expectations and hopes fans will still show up even for a 90+ loss team but it's silly. People know where this team is. Nobody's going to be disappointed if they don't contend this year, but the manager and players don't need to hear that kind of stuff from their owner.

Low expectations are almost a sure fire way to insure low results. All you have to do is see the mess in inner city schools across the country.

Why doesn't baseball just instruct the Cubs to organize another celebration and not bother with playing the season if half the teams in the game aren't playing to win?

If it's any consolation to you, we have a manager in Counsell who definitely wants to win every single day.

Look, I've mentioned before that progress in a rebuild isn't always visible in progressively higher win totals every year. They won 73 games last year, and this year they might win 70. But if they do win less, it doesn't mean that the rebuild isn't working or that they aren't getting closer to their end goal. That's all that Mark A is saying, and he's right. We aren't really well into the rebuild process. We haven't even started the 2nd full year.

If we win 70 games this year, but Arcia emerges as an AS candidate already, Brinson comes up in July and rakes at the MLB level the rest of the year, and Hader and Woodruff get a few starts each in September and perform well, and Diaz hits .300 with 30 HR and finishes the season in Biloxi, I'd say we're definitely progressing.

Adrianza could be just as "easy come, easy go" as a number of other Stearns waiver claims. Scahill pitched decently, but 15 innings screams "small sample," so it's not like we're necessarily talking a key cog either way.

In the end, they're both edge-of-the-40-man-roster type guys, and there are tons of others out there just like 'em.

To the suggestion that Adrianza & Perez project about the same, I'd say defense isn't a game-changer and is easily overvalued in a no-hit utility IF given his likely limited number of innings he'll play vs. the full picture of all that Perez is at this point.

Agree. Make whatever moves necessary to be as good as you can this year without impeding the long-term goals of the rebuild.

This move is simply tinkering to try to find the best mix to start the season. Finding the right mix of bench players can win an extra couple of games through the season, but if Adrianza plays a major role, then something probably went wrong.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Twins claimed SS Ehire Adrianza off waivers from the Brewers.

In a corresponding move, they designated RHP Pat Light for assignment to clear room on their 40-man roster. The Brewers had just claimed Adrianza off waivers from the Giants last week. The 27-year-old hit .254/.299/.381 with two home runs in 40 games for the Giants last year. He has a .220 career batting average in 154 games spread across four seasons. He will serve as minor league depth for the Twins.

Source: Twins on TwitterFeb 6 - 5:21 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived