Brewer Fanatic

INF Ehire Adrianza claimed, Scahill DFA

JDBrewCrew

I was surprised that Scahill got DFA'd since he seemed at the end of last year like he could maybe make the team again, but with the Feliz signing and all the different rotation options, my guess is Scahill was looking at about 10th on the bullpen depth chart anyways.

Still kinda hope we hold onto him in AAA. He's nothing special but would be nice to have someone like him to call up in case of (probably multiple) injuries.

Now to look at Adrianza's Baseball Reference page and find out who he is......

Can play all over the infield but no power. Hit for average in the minors and walks a good bit. Could be a good spring option for backup utility infielder (he played 2B/SS/3B last year). On the other hand, he's had multiple shots at the big leagues in SF and has not shown that he can hit at all (.605 OPS in 291 MLB AB's).

I haven't looked that hard at bench options to start the year, but maybe he's going to compete with Rivera for that backup utility IF position?

Kind of a curious move. I didn't think the Brewers were short on utility infielders and I don't see Adrianza as having potential beyond that role. In fact it's hard to see a 25 man spot available for any backup infielders beyond Perez and Gennett. Are they working on something else? I'd have kept Scahill over Blazek myself.

Can play all over the infield but no power. Hit for average in the minors and walks a good bit. Could be a good spring option for backup utility infielder (he played 2B/SS/3B last year). On the other hand, he's had multiple shots at the big leagues in SF and has not shown that he can hit at all (.605 OPS in 291 MLB AB's).

I haven't looked that hard at bench options to start the year, but maybe he's going to compete with Rivera for that backup utility IF position?

I didn't see Rivera making the team anyway with Perez and Gennett still around and Villar's ability to play SS too, but he already had competition in Ivan Dejesus Jr and Eric Sogard. Andrianza might be a cut above Rivera, and useful if he's got an option left I guess.

I agree that this seems a little odd. Maybe a Scooter move coming? At SS you have Arcia, Villar, Perez and Rivera all capable of playing. He seems to be a AAA player at this point, and I'd think you could get someone for that through minor league contracts.

Maybe a Perez move coming. If not, it always seems you have too many versatile IFs in MLB/AAA until you need them. I have always been a Rivera fan, but I'm quickly losing faith.

You really don't need a traditional UT on the 25 this season the way the roster is constructed. Seems destined to be a AAA player barring injury or trade in spring.

Based on looking and realizing that there isn't a lot of room (or necessity) for a backup utility infielder on our roster to start the year, I'm guessing this is a minor league depth move and they're going to try to DFA him. If someone else claims him so be it I guess.

Adrianza is out of options, so would have to be DFA'd to send him to the minors.
''

It's always good to have a guy you can shuttle back and forth like Rivera did in 2016, but since that's not possible with Adrianza, it's even more curious. Could they be considering Arcia starting the year in AAA?

Adrianza is out of options, so would have to be DFA'd to send him to the minors.

he has been outrighted before, so if the brewers wish to outright him to the minors in 2017, he does have the right to refuse the minor league assignment and become a free agent.

I was surprised that Scahill got DFA'd since he seemed at the end of last year like he could maybe make the team again, but with the Feliz signing and all the different rotation options, my guess is Scahill was looking at about 10th on the bullpen depth chart anyways.

Still kinda hope we hold onto him in AAA.

scahill has never been outrighted off a 40-man roster before, so if he goes unclaimed or is not traded in the next ten days, the brewers can outright him to the minor leagues and he will be forced to accept the minor league assignment.

Think about this scenario. By now they expected to be able to move Gennett but maybe they've come to the conclusion there isn't a market right now. If they keep him in strictly a reserve role or option him to AAA, his value will fall further. So they start the year with a 3 man rotation in the middle infield of Villar, Perez and Gennett and Arcia goes back to AAA to get regular work. That rotation is probably superior offensively to one with Arcia in the mix at this stage but they'd need a solid defender for late inning situations, and they like Andrianza's glove.

If a market suddenly develops for Scooter, then they can alter plans and go back to Arcia at SS, and Andrianza becomes the middle infield utility guy and Perez the infield corner backup and extra OF.

I think it means that Nieuwenhuis is the only backup OF, which means Perez and Gennett better get their OF gloves ready for spring training. And I don't think they were sold on Rivera, so he goes back to AAA.

I think it means that Nieuwenhuis is the only backup OF, which means Perez and Gennett better get their OF gloves ready for spring training. And I don't think they were sold on Rivera, so he goes back to AAA.

That was a given wasn't it? Perez proved he can play anywhere in the OF last year. It comes down to a 13th pitcher or an extra infielder.

Think about this scenario. By now they expected to be able to move Gennett but maybe they've come to the conclusion there isn't a market right now. If they keep him in strictly a reserve role or option him to AAA, his value will fall further. So they start the year with a 3 man rotation in the middle infield of Villar, Perez and Gennett and Arcia goes back to AAA to get regular work. That rotation is probably superior offensively to one with Arcia in the mix at this stage but they'd need a solid defender for late inning situations, and they like Andrianza's glove.

If a market suddenly develops for Scooter, then they can alter plans and go back to Arcia at SS, and Andrianza becomes the middle infield utility guy and Perez the infield corner backup and extra OF.

I would say that makes sense, in fact I'm in favor it. However, Mark A just made yet another comment about being committed to Arcia and living with the growing pains. I would expect Arcia as SS on opening day, barring something crazy in SP- like if he starts booting a bunch of balls, strikes out at an alarming rate, etc. Even at that they may still go with him. All the comments I've seen and heard point to Arcia is up for good.

Maybe a Perez move coming. If not, it always seems you have too many versatile IFs in MLB/AAA until you need them. I have always been a Rivera fan, but I'm quickly losing faith.

You really don't need a traditional UT on the 25 this season the way the roster is constructed. Seems destined to be a AAA player barring injury or trade in spring.

I'm thinking a scooter trade is coming, if not it doesn't make sense to give up Scahill for a Utility infielder. He seems to me to be the same player as Rivera though.

He seems to me to be the same player as Rivera though.

His career AAA line is .311/.391/.822 in Fresno/Sacto

Rivera's line is: .232/.264/.577 in Colorado Springs

Rivera is about as close to him as Travis Shaw is to Kris Bryant.

He seems to me to be the same player as Rivera though.

His career AAA line is .311/.391/.822 in Fresno/Sacto

Rivera's line is: .232/.264/.577 in Colorado Springs

Rivera is about as close to him as Travis Shaw is to Kris Bryant.

Was just gonna post something similar to this.

He's a clear upgrade over Yadiel Rivera.. looking at his fangraphs page, his last three full years at AAA have been good offensively and in a small sample size, they really like his defense at SS. I wish he was a couple years younger, but still, he seems to be a nice little player.

Archived