Brewer Fanatic

Spring training guide

MVP2110
Hey guys, me and my family are making our first ever trip to spring training in March. Really excited to go. I was wondering if you guys had any general tips for there. We are staying in the Scottsdale area as I have heard Maryvale isn't the best area. We are planning on going to a couple brewer games and a cubs game(my grandpa is a cubs fan). The first day we are there we are planning on making the trek to see the Crew play at the Dodgers, then the next day is a home game vs the Giants, and the third day we are planning on seeing the cubs for a road game at the Diamondbacks. That leaves me with one day for free time that Friday so suggestions would be awesome. Also since it'll be during the second week of March madness anyone got any cool sports bars to go check out for the game? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

It's been about 10 years since going to spring training, but I enjoyed being in the grass more than being the seats. If I remember correctly, Maryville's seats are pretty cramped.

Drink a Kiltlifter, that was the AZ popularity equivalent of a Spotted Cow or Riverwest Stein when I was there. Stop at an In N Out burger, too. That's all I got.

I think all of the home Cubs games are sold out or are nearly all sold out. Not 100% on that but it is what I have heard from some local Cubs fans.

If you are staying in Scottsdale go to TopGolf. Fun restaurant even if you don't like golf. As for restaurants there are like a million of them near the Peoria sports complex. There is a Giants themed bare there.

There is also Westgate that is by the Cardinals stadium that has a lot of bars and restaurants.

The Lost Dutchman State Park is fun if you have little kids.

I think all of the home Cubs games are sold out or are nearly all sold out. Not 100% on that but it is what I have heard from some local Cubs fans.

If you are staying in Scottsdale go to TopGolf. Fun restaurant even if you don't like golf. As for restaurants there are like a million of them near the Peoria sports complex. There is a Giants themed bare there.

There is also Westgate that is by the Cardinals stadium that has a lot of bars and restaurants.

The Lost Dutchman State Park is fun if you have little kids.

Yea we ended up having to get tickets to a cubs road game. And still paid a good amount for them.

Thanks for the advice on the restaurants

I completely forgot about Majerle's bar in Scottsdale yes that is Dan Majerle. I always forget he has one in Scottsdale also other than the one in downtown Phoenix.

I hate all of the other sports bars in Scottsdale. But if you are going to go out as a family I would suggest TopGolf as there is more to do as you can use the driving range if you get bored though there can be wait times on that.

http://topgolf.com/us/riverwalk/

Went to spring training many years with my wife and son. Last time we went was a couple of years ago. Never really did the sports bar thing except for a maybe a meal. You will have a blast at the games though. Our preference was to usually sit out in the berm, especially at Maryvale (although it's a bit steep). Depending on who they are playing and the time of the month (early March games are usually not as crowded) it's never very crowded out there and there are several opportunities to get baseballs, especially if you get there during batting practice. Not only from bp home runs but many times players will throw balls up to the crowd (especially kids). One year Turnbow was shagging balls during batting practice and he must have thrown a dozen balls to people in the berm (pretty much one for everyone that was in rightfield berm).

Everyone has different things they like. Some people like big crowds, others like a more relaxing atmosphere. For me, Cubs at Diamondbacks would not be the non-Brewer game I would choose to attend...but I'm not the type of person who likes crowds.

In regards to Maryvale being a bad area. There has been a lot of discussion about that topic on this site. There are not any hotels near in Maryvale or near the park that I would choose to stay at, but I never really felt that I was in any danger driving to or from the park or any fear that our car would get broken into while we were at the game (and that includes a few night games that we attended at Maryvale). Most of the time we just took Hwy 10, got off on 51st Ave to get there and same route on the way back (it's less than 2 miles off the freeway).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

In regards to Maryvale being a bad area. There has been a lot of discussion about that topic on this site. There are not any hotels near in Maryvale or near the park that I would choose to stay at, but I never really felt that I was in any danger driving to or from the park or any fear that our car would get broken into while we were at the game (and that includes a few night games that we attended at Maryvale). Most of the time we just took Hwy 10, got off on 51st Ave to get there and same route on the way back (it's less than 2 miles off the freeway).

Yes, this seems to come up every year. If you're just driving to and from the games, things are fine. It's just not an area I'd want to be walking around as a tourist, especially at night. But during daytime at the park, things are perfectly fine.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Yes, this seems to come up every year. If you're just driving to and from the games, things are fine. It's just not an area I'd want to be walking around as a tourist, especially at night. But during daytime at the park, things are perfectly fine.

Visited in Spring of 2015 for ST....... Nice facilities, love the berm in the OF. Yet, why oh why a ballpark was put here, I'll never know. The Brewers must have gotten a very good deal on land/taxes etc. Really, besides the game, there is no hotels, restaurants, attractions in walking distance. Polar opposite of the Cubs new facility in Mesa.

You will be amazed at the access they allow you on the minor league side. AMAZED.

So true! The minor league side is like watching practice for a high school baseball team, although a lot of mesh netting prevented good views of some areas.

My wife and I actually walked into Maryvale Park (MLB) for practice WITH a bunch of Brewers minor leaguers.... side by side, same entrance. Lara was one of them. The MLB team used a dozen or so minor league base runners during fielding drills. Only a dozen to two dozen fans were there. Fiers, Braun, Gomez, Parra, Lucroy, and others talked to the fans. I was tossed a ball from Parra as he jogged in from the outfield to get his swings in. We sat front row down the line, moved to the back row shaded areas if too hot, and walked down by the dugout too.

THE NO DOUBT, MOST UNDERRATED BREWERS EXPERIENCE.......... no hype for this whatsover compared to Brewers On Deck, Arctic Tailgate, Fantasy Camp, etc. If you can get to Maryvale this year, visit a practice. It is basically a typical batting practice + fielding drills + interaction with players + sitting in 80 degree weather + no cost. I cannot imagine that this type of free access will be common in the future. Yes, there was a cop or two on hand, along with a few "ushers", but I really don't know if the risk/reward is anywhere credible for the team to allow this kind of access to a few hundred fans each year.

You will be amazed at the access they allow you on the minor league side. AMAZED.

So true! The minor league side is like watching practice for a high school baseball team, although a lot of mesh netting prevented good views of some areas.

My wife and I actually walked into Maryvale Park (MLB) for practice WITH a bunch of Brewers minor leaguers.... side by side, same entrance. Lara was one of them. The MLB team used a dozen or so minor league base runners during fielding drills. Only a dozen to two dozen fans were there. Fiers, Braun, Gomez, Parra, Lucroy, and others talked to the fans. I was tossed a ball from Parra as he jogged in from the outfield to get his swings in. We sat front row down the line, moved to the back row shaded areas if too hot, and walked down by the dugout too.

THE NO DOUBT, MOST UNDERRATED BREWERS EXPERIENCE.......... no hype for this whatsover compared to Brewers On Deck, Arctic Tailgate, Fantasy Camp, etc. If you can get to Maryvale this year, visit a practice. It is basically a typical batting practice + fielding drills + interaction with players + sitting in 80 degree weather + no cost. I cannot imagine that this type of free access will be common in the future. Yes, there was a cop or two on hand, along with a few "ushers", but I really don't know if the risk/reward is anywhere credible for the team to allow this kind of access to a few hundred fans each year.

I'll agree with this as well. The first time we walked back to the practice area we were not even sure if we were supposed to be there. One of the times we went, we were back by the diamond that is just south of the main field and all the starters were practicing on that field. This was back in the Fielder, Hart, Weeks, Hardy, etc days. It was awesome. Even the small field (mostly used for infield practice) that is east of the main field is great for pictures if you can position yourself in one of the fence openings (most of the fencing around this field is covered with a tarp). My son got great pictures of Braun taking wind sprints down the first base line on this field a few years back.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived