Brewer Fanatic

Eddie Butler

I at least have to ask the question... take a chance on Eddie Butler?

In two years he has gone from top 50 prospect to earlier today being DFA'd by the Rockies. He is only 25 years old. Are the Brewers in a position to take a chance on a change of scenery sparking a resurgence? Is there even a small chance he could be a Jake Arrieta type success story with a new club?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

This would be a solid pickup for AAA depth. Problem is our AAA location is no better than Coors.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Anyone know what happened to Butler? He killed it in the lower minors - not bad at AA - then just blew it.

His second year - 2013 - playing at A-, A+ and AA levels - he threw 150 innings and gave up only 96 hits. That's phenomenal.

His strikeout rate really dropped the next year at AA for a full season. ERA was okay - 3.58. But then things just went south. Horrible ERAs, low strike rates, increased walk rate.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about him.

He seems like the kind of guy who we should take a flyer on - but I don't know that much about him.

From reading the comments on MLBTradeRumors (so take that for what it's worth) his stuff is very hittable and the lack of swing-and-miss stuff led to a lot of contact in very hitter friendly places and bad results. I don't know if that's true or not but if a guy has shown he can't really pitch about A ball I don't think that's a guy you really go after.

If Butler didn't have some serious concerns right now, he wouldn't be available.

I think more importantly than whether or not he will ever rediscover his talent and be successful at the big league level, is what it costs us if he doesn't. The answer is essentially nothing, so I see nothing wrong with that kind of a flyer right now.

If Butler didn't have some serious concerns right now, he wouldn't be available.

I think more importantly than whether or not he will ever rediscover his talent and be successful at the big league level, is what it costs us if he doesn't. The answer is essentially nothing, so I see nothing wrong with that kind of a flyer right now.

He would cost at least a 40 man roster spot and therefore risk losing someone on waivers. I see some junk that could go but you'd just be swapping out junk for more junk.

It's not totally without costs. Where would Butler fit in among Jungmann, Hader, Lopez, Woordruff, Ortiz, Burgos and all the likely AAA starters? All those guys need innings. I could see taking a shot if the plan is to turn him into a reliever, but otherwise, no.

This would be a solid pickup for AAA depth. Problem is our AAA location is no better than Coors.

AAA starting pitching depth might be the lowest of all their priorities. One thing the Brewers have in spades is AAA rotation depth.

Can never have enough. Especially when talking about a guy that was drafted in the 1st round, is only 25 and obviously had some skills that were worth being up at the major league level. Burgos could easily be moved to the pen.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

A guy like Butler pretty much comes down to what the org thinks about him. If they see a really talented guy who could potentially rebound with a change of scenery - then go for it. But if they see a guy who just was never that good - or his skills have eroded for whatever reason - then pass.

Obviously, he was well thought of at one point - ranked to 25 by BA. So it's foolish not to do your due diligence on the guy. If the tools are still there it makes for an intriguing option.

Why wouldn't Atlanta or Cincinnati claim him before it came to out turn?

Well he hasn't been waived yet. Presumably the Rockies will try to salvage something for him in trade before they place him on waivers.

I dont understand the process. DFA so when does it become waivers for teams to claim? Isnt it essentially waived now pending a trade in 3days?

Well he hasn't been waived yet. Presumably the Rockies will try to salvage something for him in trade before they place him on waivers.

I dont understand the process. DFA so when does it become waivers for teams to claim? Isnt it essentially waived now pending a trade in 3days?

When a player is designated for assignment it immediately frees up a 40 man roster spot and starts a 10 day clock for the team to take action on the player. Typically yes they do end up placed on waivers but often teams will try to trade the player first to at least salvage something for their loss.

It's a 10 day process. Teams can only wait 7 days before they have to put the player on waivers. Prior to that they can try to work out a trade with another team. I'm assuming the Rockies are trying to do that now if they feel he'll be claimed by multiple teams on waivers.

Haven't even gotten in to Spring Training, I don't get moves like this on formerly high thought of players. I'd fully expect when he reaches the waiver period a rebuilding team grabs him and follows him through Spring Training. Which is just something I'd think Colorado should be doing. His numbers are really bad. Talking worse than Ariel Pena bad. So we'll see.

MLBRosterMoves

‏@MLBRosterMoves

.@Cubs acquire RHP Eddie Butler, international bonus slot No. 74 from @Rockies for RHP James Farris, int'l bonus slot No. 28. #HotStove

Not exactly a "nothing to lose" transaction. Farris has put up very solid minor league relief numbers in Cub system.

We tend to not know the man behind the stats. I have no knowledge of Butler but logic says if the Rockies dont want him there is more to the story.

Exhibit Brett Lawrie

That's probably not fair. Colorado is a unique situation for pitchers, and a lot of them just are not going to handle it well. That's why I hate that we're forced to have our AAA team in Colorado Springs. I think there's a good chance that this guy will get his head back together with another organization, and could be a very good pick-up for the Cubs, who are going to lose a lot of MLB pitching talent over the next couple years.

Colorado has been trying to figure out pitching since the franchise was founded. They're probably best finding a bunch of ground ball guys, and putting an emphasis on infield defense.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived