Brewer Fanatic

Our Newest Utility Player - Scooter Gennett

Greenleaf1
I will say this... he was taking reps in left during BP last Saturday, and he looked absolutely brutal. A guy standing next to me said "You can tell that guy doesn't play outfield!" Maybe it was just the day, or the wet field, but after watching him for 10 minutes I wouldn't feel comfortable putting him out there.

On a side note, he almost did something pretty cool that I've never seen before. A ball was hit right at him. He came in a few steps before realizing the ball was way over his head. So he threw his glove at it... and the ball stuck in its webbing. The ball did fall out before the glove hit the ground, but I thought that was pretty cool.

I thought the rule was that if you throw your glove at a ball it an automatic triple, or was that during BP? Now I have to look that up.

I hate the fact that we are even putting time into him in left field. Just move on already.

Who's the better hitter, Scooter or Nieuwenhuis? Scooter is. Why not find out if Gennett is serviceable in the OF? Nieuwenhuis' value is his ability to play CF but Perez is an option there too and the number one prospect is a CF. Nieuwenhuis is expendable if they have a better lefty OF bat to fill in. Maybe Gennett is that guy?

I will say this... he was taking reps in left during BP last Saturday, and he looked absolutely brutal. A guy standing next to me said "You can tell that guy doesn't play outfield!" Maybe it was just the day, or the wet field, but after watching him for 10 minutes I wouldn't feel comfortable putting him out there.

On a side note, he almost did something pretty cool that I've never seen before. A ball was hit right at him. He came in a few steps before realizing the ball was way over his head. So he threw his glove at it... and the ball stuck in its webbing. The ball did fall out before the glove hit the ground, but I thought that was pretty cool.

I thought the rule was that if you throw your glove at a ball it an automatic triple, or was that during BP? Now I have to look that up.

Totally hypothetically speaking, if this occurred with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th in a tie game, and the ball was going to be a HR, 10 feet over the outfielders' head, and he could time his throw right and keep it in play, couldn't he potentially save the game this way and prevent a walkoff?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Totally hypothetically speaking, if this occurred with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th in a tie game, and the ball was going to be a HR, 10 feet over the outfielders' head, and he could time his throw right and keep it in play, couldn't he potentially save the game this way and prevent a walkoff?

Nope. Won't work. It's an HR.

Award: Advancement to Home Base (Four Base Award Maximum)

7.05(a): Dead. A fair ball leaves the playing field in flight or a ball with similar trajectory is deflected by a fielder's equipment, apparel or thrown gear. Also known as a home run.

So I'm guessing the umpires would have to rule that the trajectory of the ball was going to leave the playing field - and would thus award the batter the HR.

I hate the fact that we are even putting time into him in left field. Just move on already.

Who's the better hitter, Scooter or Nieuwenhuis? Scooter is. Why not find out if Gennett is serviceable in the OF? Nieuwenhuis' value is his ability to play CF but Perez is an option there too and the number one prospect is a CF. Nieuwenhuis is expendable if they have a better lefty OF bat to fill in. Maybe Gennett is that guy?

Scooter might, might be a touch better with the bat but it's not by a heck of a lot. But Scooter loses any offensive value that he has when he's moved to the outfield or first base. Not only that but we already know he is average (probably being generous here) at best at second base and will be even worse at those other positions. We know Niewenhuis can at least play some defense and if given the same amount of at bats as Scooter their stats would be very comparable. . Scooter pulls at the strings of the fans hearts because he was the little engine that could. Problem is that we just have other players now that have pushed him out of a job which is a great thing to see.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

OBP and OPS wise, Scooter vs. Captain Kirk is basically a wash.

If Scooter has any offensive advantage in this matchup, it's not nearly big enough to justify playing time in the outfield for a likely defensive butcher over a plenty serviceable (defensively) outfielder.

I've never been a big Scooter guy. He never had a great tool and even though we're trying to disguise him as something else, he's always been a one position player, which would be fine if he was better than mediocre at that one position.

It's nothing personal, he has been kind of okay at times. He seems like a nice enough guy. I think it just stems from my own annoyance about an era in which Scooter Gennett and Hunter Morris were our top prospects. Well, he turned out better than Morris, I'll give him that.

I'd like to see Scooter show some versatility to add value to his game. A second division second baseman who can't play any other position does not have much value. We saw that this past off season.

But, if he suddenly becomes a left handed stick that can play 2b, 3b, 1b, or lf, now he may have some value. He's got a bit of pop.

I agree with Adam's view. I am also not a huge fan of Scooter's game (nothing personal). But, position flexibility for someone of his ability level could make a difference. And, to give Scooter credit, he is very willing. Players with a "can-do" attitude usually work well in a clubhouse. With roster spots at a premium, Scooter can possibly increase his value if a team thinks they can use Scooter a variety of ways so the relief corps can then have potentially the number of slots the team wants.

Besides Scooter, there are a few other guys I'd love to see build value. Peralta and Chase Anderson are two that come to mind.

Archived