Brewer Fanatic

Your 2020 Milwaukee Brewers

adambr2

There is some disagreement about when we will be ready to contend, but I think there's a pretty good consensus that by 2020, the foundation we're building now should be ready to put a winner on the field. Just for fun I'd like to try to put together what that might look like, since presumably any home grown players who will be on this team have probably already been drafted by now. It's still an impossible task with not knowing who will be traded, acquired, etc, but here goes:

OF: LF Ray, CF Broxton, RF Brinson + OF Phillips, OF Cordell

This is indicative of how much I like Broxton, not only does he stick on the roster, he sticks in CF despite the many challengers headed his way. He's the 'veteran' of the group at this point, but Ray and Brinson have plenty good enough bats for the corners. Phillips and Cordell round out a strong, very good defensive OF. I would consider it highly surprising if Braun is our starting LFer on opening day 2020. I had a hard time leaving Harrison off this list, who I really like, I simply ran out of roster room. So I'll pass it off by saying perhaps he gets included as part of a bigger trade somewhere else.

IF: 1B Thames, 2B I Diaz, SS Arcia, 3B Erceg, C Susac + C Bandy, IF Dubon, IF Perez

A couple surprises! Thames still hanging in there as the veteran at 1st after performing so well as to make his 4th year option a no brainer. Diaz is firmly entrenched at 2nd, Arcia well established at SS, and Erceg in his 2nd season at 3rd. It was difficult to let go of Villar who I really like, but who eventually became a victim of the numbers game. Same goes with Shaw, and I expect we'd be well compensated for Villar in particular. I'm not in love with either of Susac or Bandy, but I like both well enough to believe that we will be comfortable enough with one as our every day C in 2020. I have Perez still around for his versatility. Perez and Dubon would give us some great swiss army knife type bench guys who could also give us extra OF options. It would not bother or surprise me to see Shaw still around to give us versatility at the corner IF spots as well.

SP: Woodruff, Ortiz, FA, Davies, Diplan

Projection is getting tougher. I have Davies continuing to stick at the back of the rotation, with Guerra shipped out at some point. Notably absent is Hader who I have sticking as a shutdown closer instead. I wavered between Ponce and Diplan for the last spot before sticking with Diplan. Obviously, there are a lot of candidates, some which we may not even be aware of yet, and I'll be lucky if I get 3 out of 5 in the end. I really do think sometime between now and then we'll take a big swing in free agency similar to the Cubs' move with Lester, but no idea who that would be at this point.

RP: Hader, Bickford, Barnes, T. Williams, Ponce, Knebel, Medeiros

There's so many names that could be included here, but no matter what, I think we have the arms to make for a really electric bullpen by 2020. Hader and Bickford could really be shutdown 8th/9th inning arms. I took a big leap of faith with Medeiros. I think there is quite fairly a lot of doubt that he'll ever make it at this point, but if he does, his stuff is too electric not to include here.

Given a few more good drafts with early picks until we're ready to contend again and some high sells on guys like Santana, Guerra and Villar, I also see no reason that Stearns won't be able to allow the farm to keep up with the MLB club and continue to stock some quality prospects down in the minors.

I'll be lucky if I hit on half of these, just too many variables, but regardless, it's nice to get an idea or where we could be headed. The future is bright!

Good topic, much of the current collection of top talent in the organization will be in the 25-28 age range during the 2020 season. While obviously a guessing game at this point, it is a fun exercise to take a look at the foundation for building what should hopefully be the next very good Brewers roster.

Due to current depth at the positions I think the outfield and pitching are the most intriguing of all. Among the candidates for outfield roster spots in 2020 there are currently at least a dozen players in the organization that project as possibly being major league outfielders three years from now. Assuming a then 36 year old Braun is no longer on the roster, scratching Nieuwenhuis from the conversation, and not counting potential IF/OF utility players such as Hernan Perez, here are players (with their 2020 season age listed) that could be in contention for an outfield role:

Keon Broxton (age 30 in '20)

Domingo Santana (age 27 in '20)

Lewis Brinson (age 26 in '20)

Brett Phillips (age 26 in '20)

Ryan Cordell (age 28 in '20)

Corey Ray (age 25 in '20)

Monte Harrison (age 24 in '20)

Trent Clark (age 23 in '20)

Michael Reed (age 27 in '20)

Kyle Wren (age 29 in '20)

Clint Coulter (age 26 in '20)

Tyrone Taylor (age 26 in '20)

Troy Stokes (age 24 in '20)

There are a few others that haven't been completely written off yet (i.e. Roache, Collymore, Segovia), but they seem much less likely to realistically compete for a future roster spot. With so much depth it's likely to be a position to trade from in order to fill other holes. I do think a high value will be placed on defensive value among the outfielders, and looking at that list it is exciting to see just how good the 2020 outfield could potentially be on defense.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I still think 36 year old Ryan Braun will be providing .280 BA, 25 HR and 90 RBI playing 130 games in LF for the Brewers in 2020. Brinson will be in CF, and Ray in RF.

Pitching is much harder to project. By 2020, if the next Chris Sale comes along, a somewhat controllable top of the rotation starter, I look for the Brewers to surrender some top prospects to get him. They certainly won't pay the kind of money for a top of the rotation starter in FA.

These are always fun topics. Here's my prediction.

C - Susac

1b - Thames

2b - Villar

SS - Arcia

3b - Erceg

RF - Ray

CF - Brinson

LF - Santana

Bench - Nottingham, Phillips, Cordell, H. Perez, Dubon

1. Hader

2. Davies

3. Ortiz

4. Bickford

5. Woodruff

BP - Lopez, D. Williams, Medeiros, Barnes, Ponce, Kirby, Burnes

C: Someone not yet acquired

1B: Braun

2B: Diaz

SS: Dubon

3B: Erceg

LF: Ray

CF: Brinson

RF: Phillips

Rotation: Davies, Hader, Woodruff, Diplan, Someone not yet acquired

Santana, Broxton, Villar, and Arcia get traded. Braun won't be traded, so needs to start somewhere.

The outfield is so interesting because I think by about 2019 we have the possibility of 5 OF with AS potential, at least in my opinion (Braun, Broxton, Santana, Brinson, Ray) with quite a few other options for backups (Cordell, Perez, Phillips).

I'd be very surprised if we didn't have somewhere near the best outfield in baseball within a couple years. I know nobody's a sure thing but there's so much talent between those 5 guys that you have to wonder who gets traded. Obviously Braun seems the most likely based on what we'd like but that doesn't seem to be happening.

2020 what will the team look like?

Well, Braun still remains. Brinson, Villar, Dubon, Perez, Nelson, Peralta, Anderson, Kneble and Shaw have been traded before the 2020 season.

OF: Braun, Santana, Broxton, Phillips, and Ray

1b: Gilbert Lara

2b: Isan Diaz

SS: Orlando Arcia

3b: Combo of Jacob Gatewood and Lucas Erceg

C: Susac and Nottingham

Last Utility: Ryan Cordell

Cordell backups Lara mostly. Gatewood at 2b/SS. Diaz at 2b/SS. Erceg is 3b strictly.

Ray is for Braun's back-up. Phillips for Broxton/Santana.

SPs: Josh Hader, Luis Ortiz, Acquisition Jon Gray, Zach Davies, and Marcos Diplan

Closer: Brandon Woodruff

Set-up: Jorge Lopez

Secondaries: Phil Bickford, Corbin Burnes, Cody Ponce, Kodi Medeiros, Acquisition in trade Zach Burdi.

Cody Ponce and Phil Bickford are used as long men. Medeiros is the LH specialty. Burdi is closer to be but behind Lopez/Woodruff. Burnes is sorta first reliever out of pen.

Considering the amount of players traded, their ought to be a stud beyond Jon Gray mixed in there. Let's say with acquiring Burdi the Brewers also acquired Zach Collins for Catcher. Seeing as they are both WhiteSox players, I'll say Dubon or Villar were a part of that trade, maybe with Kneble.

Adding for AAA: Harrison and Clark are top 25 prospects and 1 is used in a trade deadline deal if needed. With Braun's contract expiring the other replaces Braun in a battle with Ray, Phillips. Freddy Peralta is knocking at the door in bullpen and already has seen games. Will say the same for Trey Supak. Nathan Kirby becomes the sad oft injured TJ twice prospect that we don't see at the ML level.

I, also, think Broxton will really develop. However I believe Stearns is sincere about controllable young talent. Therefore I predict that at the trade deadline of 2019, the Brewers will get back a haul in trade for the two time All-Star Broxton, including a pitcher who will be a big part of the 2020 staff... Brinson will be in CF

I hope Hader is a starter. Actually I hope by 2019/2020 the Brewers will institute a "bullpenning"/relief aces approach of having every pitcher throw 2-3 innings once every 3 games or so, and Hader will be a big part of that. But that is perhaps another topic (!)

Isan Diaz is the one to watch. I hope he has a tremendous year at AA this year. His development is a key for the 2020 Brewers, I think....

Great topic and fun to read/think about it. Thank you

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I can't see Cordell every becoming an everyday player. He seems to have "extra outfielder" in his future. I still like Trent Clark's chances of perhaps even edging ahead of Ray. Give him a mulligan for his 2016.

They are going to at some point, likely between 2018 and 2019, step up and deal 2 or 3 of their top prospects and get that premium pitcher that they can't afford in FA who hopefully will have more than 2 years control left.

FWIW,Baseball America had a projected 2020 Brewer Roster that went along with their top 10 list. They don't speculate as to trades and FA signings but here is what they came up with:

PROJECTED 2020 LINEUP

Catcher Jacob Nottingham

First Base Ryan Cordell

Second Base Isan Diaz

Third Base Lucas Erceg

Shortstop Orlando Arcia

Left Field Corey Ray

Center Field Lewis Brinson

Right Field Trent Clark

No. 1 Starter Josh Hader

No. 2 Starter Luis Ortiz

No. 3 Starter Brandon Woodruff

No. 4 Starter Marcos Diplan

No. 5 Starter Zach Davies

Closer Phil Bickford

FWIW,Baseball America had a projected 2020 Brewer Roster that went along with their top 10 list. They don't speculate as to trades and FA signings but here is what they came up with:

PROJECTED 2020 LINEUP

Catcher Jacob Nottingham

First Base Ryan Cordell

Second Base Isan Diaz

Third Base Lucas Erceg

Shortstop Orlando Arcia

Left Field Corey Ray

Center Field Lewis Brinson

Right Field Trent Clark

No. 1 Starter Josh Hader

No. 2 Starter Luis Ortiz

No. 3 Starter Brandon Woodruff

No. 4 Starter Marcos Diplan

No. 5 Starter Zach Davies

Closer Phil Bickford

Hey not bad, that's 4/5ths of the rotation I have! :) Only difference is I have a FA in and Hader ending up in the pen.

Everything else looks pretty close to me too, though I can't see Cordell sticking at 1st. I had Nottingham and Clark not making it, which probably isn't fair, but have to assume some won't.

I am going to have a little fun with this one. Here is my 2020 NL pennant winning Milwaukee Brewers roster.

First two major transactions took place on the way to building a roster to compete for the World Series title (yes I know these things aren't going to actually take place, I said I was having fun with it!):

1) Following the 2018 season the Brewers ownership goes all in on Free Agency by cashing in the savings accumulated over the previous few seasons to sign a then 26 year old Manny Machado to an 8-year, $272 million contract.

2) Sensing the need for an ace to put them over the top the Brewers strike early in July 2020, trading some of their most promising prospects to the floundering Blue Jays for the final half season of control of Aaron Sanchez who has established himself as an elite front of the rotation starter at 27 years old.

Starting Lineup

Corey Ray, LF

Jonathan Villar, 2B

Lewis Brinson, CF

Manny Machado, 3B

Lucas Erceg, 1B

Domingo Santana, RF

Orlando Arcia, SS

Andrew Susac, C

Reserves

Mauricio Dubon, Super Utility

Hernan Perez, IF/OF

Isan Diaz, 2B

Brett Phillips, OF

Jett Bandy, C

Rotation

Aaron Sanchez, RHP

Luis Ortiz, RHP

Josh Hader, LHP

Brandon Woodruff, RHP

Zach Davies, RHP

Bullpen

Nathan Kirby, LHP

Corey Knebel, RHP

Marcos Diplan, RHP

Phil Bickford, RHP

Jorge Lopez, RHP

Corbin Burnes, RHP

Cody Ponce, RHP

Before anyone rains on my parade remember that we're still in the midst of a long winter and now is the time to daydream of baseball and the ever elusive "what could be".

Before anyone rains on my parade remember that we're still in the midst of a long winter and now is the time to daydream of baseball and the ever elusive "what could be".

Don't hold us suspense! Does the Crew win the World Series in 2020 or not?!?!

Manny Machado! I love it

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'm guessing no. The Indians, led by Frankie Lindor finally end the drought on the north shore.

Game 6 in Milwaukee ends 4-2 on a strike-out throw out double play as RHP Shawn Armstrong (filling in for injured RHP Dylan Baker) gets Lewis Brinson looking while C Francisco Mejia fires a seed to second to get Corey Rey by a hair. Replay upholds the call on the field as the Series ends for the 1st time on video review. Fans look back at the 9th inning defensive plays and collectively shake their heads. Ray had barely beat out an infield grounder to 3B where Yu Cheng Chang had made an outstanding effort but Villar was outright robbed in CF on a gem by Greg Allen for the 1st out of the inning.

As people head to the to the exits, Cleveland fans thank the heavens that Lucroy had nixxed the deadline deal to Cleveland in 2016 and Brewer fans realize how close those talented players were nearly stars for Miller Park.

I'm guessing no. The Indians, led by Frankie Lindor finally end the drought on the north shore.

Game 6 in Milwaukee ends 4-2 on a strike-out throw out double play as RHP Shawn Armstrong (filling in for injured RHP Dylan Baker) gets Lewis Brinson looking while C Francisco Mejia fires a seed to second to get Corey Rey by a hair. Replay upholds the call on the field as the Series ends for the 1st time on video review. Fans look back at the 9th inning defensive plays and collectively shake their heads. Ray had barely beat out an infield grounder to 3B where Yu Cheng Chang had made an outstanding effort but Villar was outright robbed in CF on a gem by Greg Allen for the 1st out of the inning.

As people head to the to the exits, Cleveland fans thank the heavens that Lucroy had nixxed the deadline deal to Cleveland in 2016 and Brewer fans realize how close those talented players were nearly stars for Miller Park.

Ha, well the daydream got a little fuzzy when I couldn't tell if it was Yu Cheng Chang or Roger Dorn fielding that ground ball for the Indians, and then my wife asked why the chores hadn't been done yet and all was lost.

• 4 weeks later...

My prediction with a big signing in the international market in 2018.

SP:

1. Shohei Otani (Not sure how the Brewers could pull this off but it would be awesome)

2. Woodruff

3. Hader

4. Kirby

5. Lopez

BP:

Williams T

Williams D

Medieros

Ortiz

Ponce

Bickford

Hauser

C: Susac, Nottingham

1B: Coulter

SS: Arcia

LF: Orimoleye

CF: Clark

RF: Harrison

SP:

1. Shohei Otani (Not sure how the Brewers could pull this off but it would be awesome)

I like it! Otani could bat in the middle of the order when he pitches and DH in AL parks when he isn't pitching, too

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=otani-000sho

SP:

2. Woodruff

3. Hader

4. Kirby

5. Lopez

BP:

Williams T

Williams D

Medieros

Ortiz

Ponce

Bickford

Hauser

Only 1 current player makes it to 2020? So 50-60 win team and waivers forthcoming to this current squad? Well, I suppose I can say 2 current players with Susac.

SP:

2. Woodruff

3. Hader

4. Kirby

5. Lopez

BP:

Williams T

Williams D

Medieros

Ortiz

Ponce

Bickford

Hauser

Only 1 current player makes it to 2020? So 50-60 win team and waivers forthcoming to this current squad? Well, I suppose I can say 2 current players with Susac.

Yah there are too many young players on this team for that to happen. Not only that, but too much money not being spent where a handful of players don't get some type of long term deal.

If our team is pretty much all pre arby players I don't have much confidence in the organization. That team should be competing(at least trying) and I don't think a team loaded with pre arby guys can even do that.

SP:

2. Woodruff

3. Hader

4. Kirby

5. Lopez

BP:

Williams T

Williams D

Medieros

Ortiz

Ponce

Bickford

Hauser

Yah there are too many young players on this team for that to happen. Not only that, but too much money not being spent where a handful of players don't get some type of long term deal.

If our team is pretty much all pre arby players I don't have much confidence in the organization. That team should be competing(at least trying) and I don't think a team loaded with pre arby guys can even do that.

So the only way to win in MLB is to spend money?

Archived