Brewer Fanatic

Rockies?

It quietly appears that the Rockies are trying to make a move this offseason to go head to head with the Dodgers and Giants next year. With LA being conservative with their prospects, and with the Giants not having enough quality prospects in their system to make many moves, is there any way we could pull off a deal with the Rockies? I know they have Parra in LF, but I wonder if they'd consider an upgrade there with Braun, and use Parra as more of a utility OF that can play all three positions if needed? Or, maybe they could then move Parra in a separate deal for another need?

Also, would they have any interest in someone like Guerra to help their rotation? I know that Junior probably needs to prove himself for another few months for teams to really value him, but you know that the Rockies are always looking for pitching help - and perhaps Juniors stuff would work well in Co?

Just spit-balling here, but, curious to get others thoughts on them as a trade partner? With LA and SF not really improving their rosters this offseason, maybe the Rockies see a golden opportunity to go "all-in?"

They certainly have some intriguing prospects at the top of their system.

One thing Colorado doesn't need is OF help. David Dahl debuted very successfully in LF last year replacing Parra, who's at best their 4th OF. Dahl has star potential and isn't going anywhere. They also have Ian Desmond ticketed to play out of position at 1B because the outfield is too crowded.

Besides Colorado is on Braun's no-trade list.

Hey now Braun wasn't the only suggestion, by now everyone knows they are on his no-trade list. And I wouldn't say he'd never go there. It's a hitters paradise. Nobody here is Ryan Braun so you can't fully say he wouldn't choose this or that franchise to be traded to. What if Colorado is #7,8, or 9 on his list if it was put down on paper. You do know Colorado plays in the same division as LA/SF/Arz. That means more games played in California. I'm counting 20games vs. the 7 right now for Milwaukee. I'd think it is more plausible than Toronto which is 2500+miles from LA. His wife may be from there, but I'm not seeing they have a home there. The contract was drawn up before his PEDs suspension. Situations have changed, so his stance may be different than what it was back then. I'd love to see Braun's bat play out mutiple seasons in Colorado and inflate his offensive numbers.

Now to where MadTown mentions another name, Guerra according to Fangraphs, throws 3 pitches. 61% Fastball, 20% Splitter and 15% Curveball. a rare remaining on Sliders. If Jorge Lopez can't make a curveball work in Colorado Springs, how's that work for Guerra with him throwing it nearly every 6th pitch? Pitch it less? but then he's more a 2pitch pitcher and that's not considered very good for a SP.

I mentioned previously in the Sonny Gray thread of finding Colorado and OF, which they do need after 2017. Carlos Gonzalez is a FA after the season. And I do know they are considering extending him, but the guy is only above avg at home. Just avg on the road and now passing that age 30. 20million this year, and you'd just think he puts too much a price on his head. If I'm Colorado, I just wait, give him the QO and watch the market not develop for a guy that is a career .750 OPS on the road. And then sign him to a reduced deal because jokes on him. But let's go on and predict a deal never happens with Colorado and he's a FA signed away. Big time hole in the OF. I'm hoping Jon Gray struggles in Colorado and Milwaukee strikes a deal to acquire him for Brinson plus I dunno let's go funny and say Phil Bickford. But that deal surrounds 2017 being a good year for Broxton and Santana solidifying themselves in the OF and say Phillips or someone else of the OF prospects kinda jumping on the radar of soon to be callup. Harrison being my vote of most likely. I like Colorado as a trade partner but it's deadline and next offseason that I see that scenario playing out.

• 3 weeks later...
One thing Colorado doesn't need is OF help. David Dahl debuted very successfully in LF last year replacing Parra, who's at best their 4th OF. Dahl has star potential and isn't going anywhere. They also have Ian Desmond ticketed to play out of position at 1B because the outfield is too crowded.

Besides Colorado is on Braun's no-trade list.

And also a very good, ready prospect in Raimel Tapia.

I don't know that they're looking to add pitching, as they seem fairly well set, but if they are they should be looking for ground ball pitchers. Matt Garza threw 1.7 ground outs for every air out last year (he's 1.0 GO/AO for his career though). Jimmy Nelson is 1.34 for his career, and Peralta is 1.57. With the way Guerra pitched in Colorado Springs last year, he might actually be a decent fit in Colorado.

Honestly, I don't see a fit with Colorado unless we want trade another reliever and deplete our bullpen even further.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 4 weeks later...
The terrible report of cancer spreading for Rockies starter Chad Bettis could have them in the market for a starter, something the Brewers still appear to have in excess. They could do a bad contract for bad contract (Garza for Parra) deal if the total dollars can be evened out, or offer say Nelson for prospects. Parra, on balance despite his rather roller-coaster career, is a better player than Nieuwenhuis offensively...so a marginal upgrade there. Not sure what kind of value Nelson has but he has some.

The terrible report of cancer spreading for Rockies starter Chad Bettis could have them in the market for a starter, something the Brewers still appear to have in excess. They could do a bad contract for bad contract (Garza for Parra) deal if the total dollars can be evened out, or offer say Nelson for prospects. Parra, on balance despite his rather roller-coaster career, is a better player than Nieuwenhuis offensively...so a marginal upgrade there. Not sure what kind of value Nelson has but he has some.

I think Nelson would be the best fit for the Rockies among Brewers pitchers that would potentially be available. The problem is the Rockies have a solid core of young starters (Jon Gray, Jeff Hoffman, German Marquez, Kyle Freeland), so I am not sure if trading away any significant assets for Nelson would make sense for them.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I could see Domingo Santana be traded to the Rockies before anyone else. Domingo is hitting the ball well this spring. Look at the Rocks outfied. Dahl, Blackmon, Parra and Cargo are all lefty's. They could use Domingo, and one could say more of a need over a want. I personally do not see Domingo Santana as Stearns type. Hence the reason the Astros shipped him away in the first place with Stearns as 2nd in charge. Stearns like guys will give up a bit of power in return to get hit, speed, defense, and pure athleticism.

We are currently looking for a Lefty OF as a 4th OF to platoon against righties. I could see us take Parra back and his terrible contract. In doing so, we would/should net a great return. This would also open a spot for Ryan Cordell who is currently looking very good! And holding off on Brinson and not starting his service clock. Giving Broxton a full year at CF. Broxton falters, Brinson is our new CF for next year.

But if we are sending a young, power hitting OF with control and eating a huge/terrible contract I would want a Brendan Rodgers or a Riley Pint in return. The Rocks currently do not have an opening on that infield in the foreseeable future for Rodgers. Sweeten the pot and throw in Jimmy Nelson and Orlando Arcia and send us both Rodgers and Pint.

Disclaimer: (I for one do not feel Orlando Arcia will be able to hit at the MLB level, but that is a different argument for somewhere else and not here)

Disclaimer: (I for one do not feel Orlando Arcia will be able to hit at the MLB level, but that is a different argument for somewhere else and not here)

Maybe he could hit in Colorado?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Maybe he could hit in Colorado?

He couldn't hit in Colorado Springs.

touche.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 2 months later...

Time to revisit this thread.

COL is making a run in the West and with the sorry NLCentral looking like it will not be providing a wild card participant, if we fall, then wouldn't Guerra to COL be similar to the Sutton trade in '82 (older non ace moves the #5 starter to the pen and makes the rotation better). Feliz or Barnes (depending on the return) could be offered to boost their chances and our return...but for whom??

I don't see them giving BRodgers in exchange for any package at all...Pint can be had after then draft but is not doing well, Tapia adds to our OF jam and the truth is we need to start unloading some of our 40 man roster eligible talent to make the most of our situation.

I know a lot of you want to be buyers and may say that we are just as much in it as COL, but I still don't think that that will happen this year...hence this seller's thread...but it may not be worth it.

I like 3B Ryan McMahon as a potential trade target for the Brewers.

2B Forrest Wall could also be a buy low candidate.

I'd also be interested in RHP Mike Nikorak in that regard. (former 1st rounder recoverng from Tommy John)

It's hard to see the Rockies farm system as a great "match" right now for the Brewers, as they don't really have the high-end pitching that they'd be willing to trade - since most of their attractive young arms are contributing at the MLB level now. Also, do we really provide them with solutions to whatever their needs might be at the deadline? Pint is certainly intriguing, but he's not exactly tearing it up thus far in his professional debut season. I doubt they deal Rogers, and as already suggested - Tapia just adds to our OF logjam. You've got to figure though that this is a team that is going to want to go "all-in" this year if they are in the thick of the race.

Jim

4:36

Do you think the Rockies can sustain their playoff push throughout the year?

Jason Martinez

4:36

Yes. I've been saying since early on that they needed another SP who can help carry the load down the stretch*. If Chad Bettis returns cancer-free and back to full strength in August, he could be that guy. I'd expect the Rockies to target a reliable mid-rotation veteran starter next month in any case.

*Guerra package for BRodgers...

Archived