Brewer Fanatic

2017 Starting Pitching Rotation

CheezWizHed
Have to think this will just be one start from Milone then Garza gets his crack doesn't it? Has there been any news that Garza is actually hurt, last I saw it was pretty much panned as a made up injury.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guerra out 4-6 weeks

Which means it could be longer by the time he stretches out, a few minor league starts, etc.

Honestly, at this point may as well bring up Lopez. He's not getting any younger, and they have a plan for Hader. I don't know if I can handle a few starts by Milone, then a few by Jungmann, etc.

None of those guys will be a starter long term for the Brewers, so just bring up Lopez and find out this year if he can hang, or not.

I agree totally...i think you need to wait on Hader and protect his service time, but Lopez makes perfect sense. Just get him in there and see what you have with him when he's not pitching in Colorado Springs.

Milone makes zero sense for where we are at in the organization. Its a perfect time to try out one of your young arms. It feels like we are starting to half-ass the rebuild for some reason. Just stop it. We're not contenders, we can take chances on young arms now. This isn't the stretch run of 2014.

Have to think this will just be one start from Milone then Garza gets his crack doesn't it? Has there been any news that Garza is actually hurt, last I saw it was pretty much panned as a made up injury.

Yea, but we're all just guessing. Who knows, he could be out longer than we think too.

Ugh, if his lack of a track record was an issue before, this is not going to do any favors to his trade value.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Ugh, if his lack of a track record was an issue before, this is not going to do any favors to his trade value.

Yup he seemed like a prime candidate to trade and be happy with what you got. We will see how things progress. He will still have ample time after the injury to show his value before the deadline(or before this offseason).

Kind of doubt Milone will effectively get into the 5th or 6th inning unscathed so Suter will need to piggyback. No doubt Garza will be the starter once off of the DL
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Kind of doubt Milone will effectively get into the 5th or 6th inning unscathed so Suter will need to piggyback. No doubt Garza will be the starter once off of the DL

If he's even the first one back. I think they were 'hopeful' he's be back by May which I thought I remember them saying last year.

Guerra out 4-6 weeks

Which means it could be longer by the time he stretches out, a few minor league starts, etc.

Honestly, at this point may as well bring up Lopez. He's not getting any younger, and they have a plan for Hader. I don't know if I can handle a few starts by Milone, then a few by Jungmann, etc.

None of those guys will be a starter long term for the Brewers, so just bring up Lopez and find out this year if he can hang, or not.

Not a bad idea. He got good experience against MLB talent in the WBC this spring.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Counsell says 6 weeks minimum. All said and done, likely won't see him back in the Brewer rotation til early June. :(

Just in time for the beginnings of a playoff push.

Good thing we didn't cut Garza.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Peralta, Anderson and Nelson combined for the following line in their first starts against probably the top two offenses in the NL:

17 IP, 10 Hits, 2 ER, 5 BB. 17 Ks.

And supposedly these guys all came to Arizona to compete for a spot with the likes of Garza and Milone? Okay, one start a season does not make, but Peralta and Anderson were both very good in the 2nd half last year and Nelson had a fine two months before losing his confidence. Point is all 3 of these guys are capable starting pitchers, their career ups and downs notwithstanding and probably were penciled (or should have been) in the rotation before they went to Maryvale. Assuming Guerra comes back healthy by late May and Davies gets back in his groove, there certainly will be no room for Garza past Memorial Day especially if Hader shows he's ready if needed.

Consistency is the key. If all three of these guys find that this season, boy would it be a fun summer.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I agree except for Hader, don't think we'll see him by May. Obviously can't tell much from one start, but as far as upside I certainly have a lot more confidence in Nelson and Peralta to turn into capable starters yet than I do in Garza and Milone, and while I am somewhat less bullish on Anderson, I see no reason he can't be a very good #5 like he was last year.

If there's a young starter who will get an early callup I think Lopez fits the bill. It's time to see what he has, and unfortunately for Hader this year the reality is that protecting his service time is important. Lopez pitched very well last night by the way.

It really sucks for the development of the young starters being stuck in Colorado Springs. It's a no-win choice between sticking a kid in Colorado Springs where his stuff won't play like it normally would and risk killing their confidence, or having to have them sit at a level low in AS.

So while as a Brewer fan I'm certainly hoping Milone pitches well tonight, if he gets shelled as expected I'll take some silver lining in the hope that it will get him closer to out as a starter.

If those 3 continue to do well, Guerra returns around Memorial Day and Davies gets in his groove, Hader won't be needed, but after Memorial Day, he should become the number one alternative to injury or poor performance. Then they'll see where they are in July and there are any number of trade scenarios to free a spot for him or another young guy. Of course if they do really well, that changes a lot of things.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Both Nelson and Peralta have shown a slight uptick in velocity this year. Maybe this portends good things? Too soon to say for sure.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It looks like MLB is measuring velocity slightly differently this year than in years past so some perceived velocity gains may be a result of that change...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/about-all-these-velocity-spikes/

Well that's poopy.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Milone is the 6th starter on a very bad baseball team. If you go to most rotations and go 6 deep you'll find plenty of Milone types.

He is cheap, doesn't start anyone's clock and isn't blocking anyone who could put this team in the play offs.

Archived