Brewer Fanatic

Reds get 3 prospects for Straily

JohnBriggs12

Luis Castillo, Austin Brice and Isaiah White.

Brewers need to have guys like Nelson, Anderson and Peralta put up a season similar to Straily's 2016 and they'll be able to load up a year from now. Those numbers are within their reach with a bit more consistency.

I was surprised to see anybody wanted Straily enough to trade for him. Decent for both sides. He can be a back end rotation filler I guess.

I believe if the Brewers wanted they could get similar returns for any of Anderson, Nelson or Peralta. I would think both Peralta and Nelson could generate a better return than Straily if they were actively being shopped. I'm guessing the potential of them making the necessary adjustment or two needed or slotting them into the bullpen is more valuable to the Brewers this season than dealing them for a modest return.

I know we couldn't have gotten quite this much from the Marlins for Guerra, but I wonder if Brewers/Marlins had talks before they decided on Straily instead.

Either way this kinda sets the market for Guerra. Either take away the bottom prospect from this deal or replace him with a lesser one, I'd think that Stearns would be expecting that kind of package for Guerra.

Jim Bowden just praised this "fleecing" by Cincinnati. Talk about a kiss of death. I thought it was a good trade for the Reds, now I'm not so sure. I'm also not sure this should be in blue. I'm kidding, but I'm also serious. I'm confused.

Am I the only one that would expect more in a return for Guerra? Keep in mind, I certainly haven't seen any of these three kids the Reds got for Straily, but just looking at their numbers from this past year left me a bit unimpressed. And, isn't the Marlins system considered to be a pretty weak system? Two 24 year old pitchers, neither of which appear to be "sure thing" starting pitchers down the road, and then one 20 yr old OF that hit a tick over .200 last year.

Again - I think this is a decent haul for someone like Straily, but I think we can get more if Guerra goes out and puts up similar numbers before the trade deadline this year. Considering that Drew Pomeranz netted a top 20 prospect like Anderson Espinoza last year at the deadline, I think Guerra could fetch us something similar if there is a team desperate enough for SP at the deadline this July.

Of course, first things first - we need Guerra to go out and pitch well and stay healthy.

So Dave Stewart works for the Marlins now?

In the grand scheme of things these aren't amazing prospects but that's some of the best the Marlins have and they were traded for a journeyman pitcher who's put up one good season. In a vacuum this is a dumb trade for Miami. When considering Straily does not make them better than the Mets or Nationals this is a really dumb trade.

Am I the only one that would expect more in a return for Guerra? Keep in mind, I certainly haven't seen any of these three kids the Reds got for Straily, but just looking at their numbers from this past year left me a bit unimpressed. And, isn't the Marlins system considered to be a pretty weak system? Two 24 year old pitchers, neither of which appear to be "sure thing" starting pitchers down the road, and then one 20 yr old OF that hit a tick over .200 last year.

Again - I think this is a decent haul for someone like Straily, but I think we can get more if Guerra goes out and puts up similar numbers before the trade deadline this year. Considering that Drew Pomeranz netted a top 20 prospect like Anderson Espinoza last year at the deadline, I think Guerra could fetch us something similar if there is a team desperate enough for SP at the deadline this July.

Of course, first things first - we need Guerra to go out and pitch well and stay healthy.

Please take off the rose colored glasses. Guerra (now) would not bring back as much as Straily did (now).

Considering Jr is older (32 vs 28) and didn't pitch the full season (122 IP vs 191 IP & 31 starts) it does not balance out the extra year of control Jr would bring. The Marlins are banking on Straily improving in the Home Runs Allowed stat by leaving The Great American Launching Pad eeer Ballpark in Cinci & getting his home park to be the pitcher friendly location in Miami.

Yes, teams will overpay at the deadline but each situation is different. Look at the situation you raised of Boston last season: GM David D hasn't met a good prospect he isn't willing to deal (didn't he deal away Miggy years ago??) and Drew was 27 at the time of the deal & had 3+ years of control. On top of that Drew is a lefty and an All Star. I do not see Jr making himself comparable to Drew for the deadline in 2017

Could Jr be moved in a trade to bring back items needed by the Crew - Yes, absolutely.

Does that mean he will be bringing in a king's ransom - Unlikely.

I have faith in the job done by DS so far but I am also realistic. I believe he will bring in a piece or pieces he feels best fit with the organizations needs.

I agree, I would think that Guerra would get a bigger haul if he can have success early next year. Those prospects from the Marlins don't excite me in the least.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

If Guerra's first half even remotely closely mirrors last season he won't come close to bringing a Top 20 overall. If you even get a Top 100 label offer I'd snatch it immediately and not look back (or someone like Dubon - not Top 100 but very good all-around skill set). He'll certainly bring back a better haul than Straily.

Castillo is 24 (their #5 prospect) and only has 14ip in AA. Brice (#9) is 24 and has had stints of effectiveness but he's a better pen arm than rotation. He was 23/24 last year throwing almost 100 innings in AA. White (#16) brings great defense and huge speed in CF (and on bases) and pretty much nothing else at this point but he's 21 next year. The Marlins system is horrendous.

The sad part is Straily's limited 2012 and full 2013/2016 seasons are better than Nelson, Peralta, Chase in terms of ERA, WHIP, H9, BB9, K9

Great get by the Reds. Brice by BBA has turned in to a nice BP arm. Straily's Fip was 4.88. Due to the HR's but his ERA beat it due to his career best or tying Hit/9 and BB/9

So all these career best/worst probably even back out a little. Less HR, more hits, more bbs. Higher ERA but lower Fip. Either way, this guy simply is a #4 if not 5 SP.

Guerra most certainly has higher trade value than Straily did. Guerra had 26.2 additional IP in Colorado Springs in which he had 6.1 Hits/9 8.4 Ks/9 only 2HRs allowed. 4.05 ERA surprisingly for what great he did. He is not a #4 or 5 moving forward in value and has more team control.

Straily likely pitched way over his head last year but I still like this deal more for the Marlins. Castillo is the only prospect the Reds got back that interests me, and he was a 23 year old that spent almost all of last year in A ball. Baseball America had him as the Marlin's #2 prospect but he's in a really, really weak farm system. Other two prospects look like real long shots to make a notable contribution at the major league level.

I expect Straily to regress considerably next year (brewcrewdue80 is on the money with projecting him as a back-end starter), but he should fill out one of the back end spots of the Marlin's rotation quite nicely even if the 4.3 WAR he posted for the Reds last year is cut in half.

Archived