Brewer Fanatic

For those interested in Maybin

Perfect Game has profiled Cameron Maybin on their website today for those of you who are interested in that sort of thing.

Paints a pretty accurate picture of him and his ability.

What's not mentioned is his makeup which is off the charts...we'll call it his 6th tool.

PG Maybin Profile

Am I the only one who reads this, and starts to wonder / worry about plate discipline? Vlad is a pretty good player to be compared to (reference my earlier comments about comparing any HS player to Griffey, Jr. -- still applies), but one thing he can't be called is a patient hitter.

"He has some things to work on, for example, he's a free swinger who chases a few pitches."

"Maybin has more of a slashing, free wheeling type swing than your normal power stroke but there's no mistaking the power in his wrists and his bat speed."

It's great to call him the next Griffey, or the next Vlad....as long as no one holds you accountable for that comparison. The truth of the matter is that any team would be fortunate if Maybin turns into the next Corey Patterson (who himself drew comparisons to Griffey, IIRC). Compare him to Patterson, however, and though he still projects to be a solid player, he doesn't merit nearly the "hype"-factor. Considering Maybin probably won't be a Hall of Famer before hitting age 30, which comparison is more apt?

Considering Maybin probably won't be a Hall of Famer before hitting age 30

But if he was, that would be pretty cool.

All-Star?

I hate it when players like Maybin are compared to players like Vlad. There's such a disconnect of talent between two players of their respective ilks that it's not fair to Maybin and not doing justice to Vlad. Maybin will be his own players, and like Ben said, if he turns out to be Corey Patterson, awesome.

It's not that Corey Patterson is the ideal major-league ballplayer. But for a first round pick to hit Patterson's status, he'll have to:

1) sign (Maybin is a HS player, after all)

2) reach the majors, which sets him apart from all too many players

3) perform up to the level of an everyday starter

Sure, Patterson has his share of warts, but he is still a 5-tool guy who has a chance to be special if he finally puts everything together. That potential was what kept him near the top of BA's prospect lists all those years.

If you're considering someone like Maybin, you are drafting more on that potential than anything else. If the scoutable tools fall in line with the one between the ears, there is a chance to get the next Griffey or Guerrero. The odds, however, tend to favor a Patterson-type; not everyone grows into a league MVP, after all.

Verified Member

I really hope we dont pass this guy up! I know we have a NEED for a third basemen, but Gordon won't fall to #5 and I just am not sold on what I've heard about Zimmerman. In baseball especially I think it's best to take the BEST player available because of the time in takes for a prospect to make it to the show. We may need a third basemen now, but will we in 2 years when one of the college guys are ready?

Take the guy w/the most potential... this guy is likely to be that person at #5.

Archived