Brewer Fanatic

Maybin Vs. McCutchen

I would say that Maybin rates better than McCutchen. He has unbelievable power for a CF prospect (enough so that he could also play RF, which brings us to his arm, very plus). He has put up a very good average this year, albeit against high schoolers. And he has a lot of speed, to boot. What I found most appealling about him is that, supposedly, Upton has better speed, but Maybin has stolen more bases. Definitely looking to be a top prospect for years to come.

Maybin and McCutchen really are two different players. Maybin is a true 5-tool athlete, with exciting power potential. While he has good speed, he may end up in RF down the road. His arm plays at any OF spot.

McCutchen is more than just a speed merchant (he stars in track as well as baseball), as he uses a very controlled bat to lace base hits to all fields. While he has some HR pop, that's not really his game. While McCutchen has very good speed, I'm not sure if I see him as much of a stolen base threat. Some fast guys for whatever reason just aren't good base stealers. McCutchen's arm is average, which makes him more of a 3 and a half to 4-tool player.

McCutchen reminds me of a right-handed hitting Kenny Lofton, and while Maybin draws comparisons to Ken Griffey Jr., I think Griffey's teammates, Wily Mo Pena, is probably a better big-league comparison (former Red Erik Davis is probably the best comparison to Maybin).

Eric Davis was a hell of a player, I'd take him on my team any day of the week. How confident are you in that comparison?

I'm very confident in the comparison as far as his tools, stature & athleticism are concerned, and in fact it's not really a matter of confidence. Whether or not he turns out to be as productive is another question, as I can't tell the future.

Maybin sounds a lot like current mets prospect Lastings Milledge.

Milledge is probably the combination of Maybin & McCutchen. Maybin has more power, and Milledge is probably more of a stolen base threat.

I would add that Maybin's arm is his only non-plus tool.

He's a 50-55 thrower right now (I think he threw 87 at the PG national)

Playable from any OF spot for sure but not one of the bigger "raw arm" guys by any means.

Still I love his all around athleticism, and his makeup is off the charts.

As for the Milledge comparison....he's closer to the type of player that McCutchen is with more raw power. Body types are similar and arm (McCuthchen actually has a better arm than Maybin) and speed are similar.

Maybin is a different type all together...

Again, not a good comparison for Maybin. Delmon Young was (and still is) such a good, pure hitter with great natural power. Young has projected as a corner OF all along. Maybin is more of a work in progress, and may be able to stay in CF.

Archived