Brewer Fanatic

Yovani Gallardo to Mariners for OF Seth Smith

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nothing big here - just former Brewer Yovanni Gallardo gets dealt by Baltimore to Seattle for OF Seth Smith.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/mariners-trade-seth-smith-orioles-yovani-gallardo.html

Gallardo was bad last year as he had some injury issues. I loved Yo when he was with Milwaukee, but we traded him at the right time.

I hope he does great in Seattle.

Smith has a career .827 OPS against RHP; not a bad bat to have in your lineup 75% of the time for $7M. Useless against LHP, but if you can find a cheap RHH to platoon with him you can get some good production for a moderate value.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It's a blueprint on how to move a veteran somewhat pricy arm. You take back a useful but also overpriced veteran bat. I'd have been thrilled with a Garza for Smith deal. I'd still be offering Garza to the Rockies for Parra.

I don't know if Parra is that useful anymore. 2.4% walk rate last year. Sub-.300 OBP - in Colorado. In 2015, I think we got Parra at his absolute best. Over the last five years, his best average (outside of 2015) is .273. I don't want to discount his fine 2015 season, but that appears to be the aberration. The guy got hot and had a good year. But the reality is that he's probably lucky to break a .700 OPS at this point of his career. His ability to walk has just abandoned him.

If Parra played good defense, a .700 OPSing super-sub is fine to have. But sadly, he's not that good of a fielder anymore. Like a lot of people, he seems to have just put on some weight over the last few years - not fat - just filled out from his younger days. He looks stronger than he did, but I think he's lost a bit of quickness - and it hurt him in the field and at the plate.

Defensive metrics are really down on Parra the last couple of years as well - and I think if you see him in person, you'd agree. I don't think anyone wants Parra in CF anymore.

Finally, the guy makes $19.5M over the next two years. No way I want part of that money. I'll take Garza's contract and be done with it this year.

Parra was a solid player for Milwaukee a couple of years ago, but I don't want that success to cloud the fact that he's not been successful since leaving.

Gallardo has always been hurt by the long ball so this change probably helps him immensely. If his BB rate stays elevated like last year the point is moot but it wouldn't surprise me if he turns into an efficient #3 or #4 starter with the move.

Smith is a very useful platoon player so he has some value as well. Just an all around decent trade.

Archived