Brewer Fanatic

Berman no longer hosting Derby!!!

DHonks
Wow! I just saw an article on ESPN.com that stated he is stepping down from many of his responsibilities, including the Derby! Sounds like he's in good health, so nothing bad. But it means we can possibly watch the Derby without muting it!

Everyone has things that annoy them. I have a lot of things that annoy me that other people could care less about. However, I've never really been that annoyed by specific announcers like many other sports fans seem to be. I do get a kick out of how much some announcers are hated (Buck, Morgan, Berman, etc). My son is a huge critic of sports announcers and he always has me laughing when we watch sports together about how annoyed he gets with comments that are made by the announcers (He absolutely can not stand Joe Buck). Some funny videos regarding hatred towards Joe Buck (Sorry, I know this is a Berman thread, but he's part of a group of "hated" announcers):

-----

Moderator note: don't play the second video at work unless you have headphones. :)

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I'm done with the HR derby anyhow, so it doesn't matter to me. I actually love Berman when he does the NFL, never really like hum for MLB or anything else.

In fact, I long for the days of NFL Prime Time when they went through every game on Sunday with that great music during the highlights. Even loved Berman's schtick with the nicknames (Bad Moon Rison.)

Honestly, I have a feeling even he was done long ago with the back back back thing. It's like he knew that was his signature and had to do it.

HR derby is interesting to me for the glimpse into the families and friendships of the players. Berman took something that was kind of fun and beat it to death. He seems like a football guy anyway.

I don't mind most announcers, but Buck wears on me. His over the top adoration of everything Cardinals for years didn't help.

Formerly AKA Pete

Wow! I just saw an article on ESPN.com that stated he is stepping down from many of his responsibilities, including the Derby! Sounds like he's in good health, so nothing bad. But it means we can possibly watch the Derby without muting it!

I assume ESPN is still in their drastic cost cutting mode (losing tons of subscribers), so assuming they are just going cheaper.

I'm guessing it will be either a women or someone of a different ethnic background. Either way, it doesn't matter to me one bit because the home run derby has lost its flavor to me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I assume ESPN is still in their drastic cost cutting mode (losing tons of subscribers), so assuming they are just going cheaper.

They probably want to get some new blood in to connect with a more mobile audience.

Also, even if his health isn't an immediate issue, he is getting to the age where most normal people are thinking about retiring. It's just time to reduce his role and use him in spots.

I'm done with the HR derby anyhow, so it doesn't matter to me. I actually love Berman when he does the NFL, never really like hum for MLB or anything else.

In fact, I long for the days of NFL Prime Time when they went through every game on Sunday with that great music during the highlights. Even loved Berman's schtick with the nicknames (Bad Moon Rison.)

Honestly, I have a feeling even he was done long ago with the back back back thing. It's like he knew that was his signature and had to do it.

FVBrewerFan,

I think one of the biggest problems with ESPN is that they went from being a sports highlight channel to being about analysis, drama, controversy, and headlines. I miss the old days where I would tune in to watch highlights of every game (well, not every game...I'd often hope for Brewers' highlights and be let down), followed by them flashing up the box score. I don't want sports center to be an analysis show, I want it to be a highlights show.

Agree 100%. SC was on at 10:00 every night and for a half hour. It was can't miss TV. Now it's an hour of fluff and starts at different times, delayed by games ending late, etc. Plus it was the same anchors.

Same with NFL Prime Time, that show was awesome. OK, end of my old man rant.

It was only can't miss TV because we didn't have the internet which can show the highlights about 100 times more efficiently than TV can. I actually want more analysis and less highlights to these shows. I really wish ESPN went next level into analysis like a fangraphs or footballoutsiders does instead of just being highlights and fluff.

Berman's HR call is a bit much for sure but the vast majority of announcers these days are just boring as heck so I don't see anything better likely to come out of this.

He is just old and ready to move into a less prominent role, no big deal here.

It was only can't miss TV because we didn't have the internet which can show the highlights about 100 times more efficiently than TV can. I actually want more analysis and less highlights to these shows. I really wish ESPN went next level into analysis like a fangraphs or footballoutsiders does instead of just being highlights and fluff.

The majority of the ESPN audience couldn't handle anything more than fluff analysis. If it's not talk about rings, the Cowboys, or brainless blathering from Stephen A Smith they'll lose interest.

It was only can't miss TV because we didn't have the internet which can show the highlights about 100 times more efficiently than TV can.

Agreed. It's never going to match the excitement of when it was a new station. Not only was there not any internet, but the sports segment of the local news lasted 3 minutes. If they just showed highlights of all the games without any "fluff" I still don't think they would raise their ratings. People catch all there sports scores and highlights when it's convenient for them on the internet. I still remember how excited I was when you could see a box score of the game on the internet shortly after the game was over - didn't have to wait for the morning paper.

I do enjoy the 30 for 30 series.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived