Brewer Fanatic

Ichiro to re-up with M's (?) - 5 years/$100 million

JoeHova

The other problem is when your OBP is BA driven is that when you are not hitting you are not helping the team.

I'd sacrifice a possibly slightly larger spread in game-by-game performance for the total numbers Ichiro brings. He really upped his value to the team when he was moved to CF (I assume he's handled the transition well?)

My only concern is a guy with Ichiro's skill set might not age as well? He seems to break all the rules, though, so I guess we'll see.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I guess the drink comment did come off akward. I live by green lake. Moved here from Madison last year. It's rare to find a Brewers fan up here. The one guy I saw with a glove and ball logo hat had it on just for fashion. I didn't think he knew that the Brewers were a baseball team.

1 in 4 isn't too good given their record right now. And at the beginning of next year (when the new Ichiro contract applies), their chances will likely be worse. 2009 could be okay, because they are rid of the horrendous Beltre contract and the Sexson contract, and can possibly sign some people to make up for their shortcomings in player development.

I guess a lot of it depends on how their roster changes (either due to injuries or trades) over the rest of the season.

1 in 4 isn't too good given their record right now.

If their record was more representative of their actual talent, they'd have even a better chance of making the playoffs. No disagreement there but how is that fact even relevant to this discussion?

I was proposed that using marginal wins to calculate Ichiro's worth to the Mariners was misguided because they aren't going to make the playoffs this year or in the immediate future. I just don't agree. The fact that they still have a good shot at the playoffs this year certainly makes those wins valuable now and as EDR pointed out, Seattle has the financial recourses to improve the team now or in the future.

Archived