Brewer Fanatic

Ichiro to re-up with M's (?) - 5 years/$100 million

JoeHova

link:

seattletimes.nwsource.com...iro10.html

wow, what a blockbuster.

I think Ichiro will age well, but it's still a bit of a risk to commit that much to a guy through his age 38 season. The Brewers need to approach their young guys with extensions that buy out some FA years like the Mets and Indians have done if this contract is any indication of the way the market is going. Also, what will A-Rod get? $35 million per?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im glad for Ichiro and the Mariners. He has really become the face of that franchise since guys like Griffey, Rodriguez and Johnson left. I couldn't see Ichiro in any other uniform. With the Mariners still in that West race it would be cool to see them trade for Griffey.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Ichiro is one of those few guys who defies the OPS model in terms of productivity, IMO. He just hits so well and field so well that I have a very difficult time objectively placing him on an accurate scale with most other OFers. Is he worth $20 a year? Maybe not, but many players have worse values.

I have to agree with those who feel this is a business/marketing decision more than anything. Ichiro is Seattle, and Ichiro is Japan. He is a perfect fit for that franchise. The city adores him.

As stated, he's hellishly overpaid baseball wise, maybe by $10-12M. But, marketing and merchandise wise, he's worth every penny. He's not going to get any better toward the end of that deal. He's making too much now, and will be moreso annually.

There Russ, I fixed the title. It seems like it's a done deal according to all parties, but I guess nothing is signed yet.

Also, Al, how would Ichiro be overpaid by $10-12 million per year baseball wise? You're saying he is worth less on the field than Jeff Suppan is? I just don't agree with that at all. He's probably the best defensive outfielder in baseball and he's also a very good hitter (121 career OPS+ which is very OBP-heavy) and an excellent baserunner. He's legitimately a premier player and much better than both Lee and Soriano, who got similar deals this offseason.

Even your own link says, "deal will approach $100 million", so saying 5/$100 mil isn't even true.

I'm not looking for something to nitpick. I didn't even realize this wasn't a done deal until they mentioned as much during the All Star telecast. Yes, I rely on bf.net that much.

Am I the only one that thinks this move is ridiculous? Sure, from a marketing standpoint, it may pay dividends. But people from Japan don't come to the stadium. A winning team is what is going to fill the seats in Seattle, and this move is going to handcuff those efforts. This team has very little offense, and the offense it does have is on the wrong side of 30. Granted they have some decent young pitching, but paying 20 million for Ichiro is a move that franchises should make after they have built up a solid core. Yuinesky Betancourt, Lopez, King Felix and Morrow don't make up a core. The Mariners are eighth out of 14 teams in runs scored, and in runs allowed. They have been incredibly lucky this year, and have had some injury-prone players stay healthy so far. They are a .500 team at best if they stay healthy. Don't let their record deceive you.

Making the Japanese fans happy is one thing, but I guaruntee that putting a winning team on the field would make the Mariners even more money. This signing severely inhibits that by hoarding payroll on an aging veteran on a team of aging veterans who are only going to regress and become less worth their bloated contracts.

As stated, he's hellishly overpaid baseball wise, maybe by $10-12M.

So he's worth 8-10 million a year in your opinion?

I'm trying to figure how you possibly could think that for a top notch all around player in a market that is paying guys like Aubrey Huff 7 million,Carlos Lee 16 million,Juan Pierre 9 million,Suppan 10 million,JD Drew 14 million,Jeff Weaver 8 million,and Soriano 17 million.

Baseball is swimming in money,8-10 million a year won't be buying you all that much anymore,certainly not a skilled all around player like Ichiro.The side benefits are another story and obviously add aditional value.

from a marketing standpoint, it may pay dividends. But people from Japan don't come to the stadium.

Dude. You obviously have never been to this stadium.

They come. Lots and lots of them.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/413528939_77cfe767da.jpg

and they 'aint coming for Kenji.

Now really does anyone but Tim McCarver believe the Hargrove "I lost passion for the game" bit?

and while I am as big of a Bavasi detractor as anyone, there is a lot of knee jerk bashing of a team 13 games over .500 at the break in this thread.

Archived