Brewer Fanatic

2017 Roster

BrewCrewBlueDevil
The 40-man has 8 OFs on it. That's no lack of OFs, just lack of experienced/proven ones beyond the same 4 that everyone keeps naming. The only other one with any MLB ABs is Michael Reed, who's still pretty green (28 MLB ABs) and therefore justifiably no shoo-in (or necessarily even a good idea developmentally -- read: Logan Schafer) for a 5th OF spot.

The 40-man has 8 OFs on it. That's no lack of OFs, just lack of experienced/proven ones beyond the same 4 that everyone keeps naming. The only other one with any MLB ABs is Michael Reed, who's still pretty green (28 MLB ABs) and therefore justifiably no shoo-in (or necessarily even a good idea developmentally -- read: Logan Schafer) for a 5th OF spot.

That is what I mean by depth. 4 players who have played in the majors only. Not counting Reed's 1weeks worth of AB, who If I recall had them in 2015?

You get caught in the rookie 5th OF who doesnt play but once a week with PH abs. And stunting his development vs. Giving everyday play in minors.

Something's bound to happen and fix this concern.

But even if not, this is still a rebuilding team. Going with OFs with little experience on the roster is to be expected. We're not looking to load the outfield with veterans, I'm sure.

I see no issue with going into the season with Nieuwenhuis as the 4th and Perez as the 5th outfielder. Brinson is just about ready and Phillips and Cordell are not far behind.

kirk should not be the team 4th of

Agree. I don't even think he should be on the team at all but unfortunately he is the 4th at this point since he plays all 3 spots pretty solidly and has some pop in his bat from the left side. The good news is this should probably be his last year with Braun, Broxton, Santana, Brinson, Cordell in 2018 (if nobody is traded)

Opening day lineup guess:

1) Villar - 2B

2) Broxton - CF

3) Braun - LF

4) Santana - RF

5) Thames - 1B

6) Shaw - 3B

7) Susac - C

8) Arcia - SD

9) Guerra - P

Except you're going to break up the two LH bats in Thames and Shaw...

Good point. Flip either Thames and Santana or Shaw and Susac. Or both.

I could see Counsell flipping Villar and Broxton given the majority of games will be vs RHP. That way it's a R/L/R/L/R/L/R/R lineup. If both stay healthy they're stealing 50 each. Easy to manufacture a run if Broxton gets on, steals 2b then a lefty Villar advances him if he doesn't get a hit. Either way I'm a fan of the Brewers starting lineup this year - should be fun to watch

Archived