Brewer Fanatic

2017 Roster

BrewCrewBlueDevil
If the Brewers do nothing else, predict a 25 man roster. SP: Garza, Guerra, Davies, Nelson, Peralta RP: Anderson (long relief), Moline, Suter, Barnes, Torres, Marinez (SU), Knebel (CP) C: Susac and Pina IF: Thames, Villar, Shaw, Arcia, Perez, Gennett OF: Broxton, Braun, Santana, Nieuwenhuis, Reed Initial thoughts: Sketchy/very unproven bull pen, weak reserve OF's and a utility infielder needs to be added. If Brinson, Phillips, Cordell, Yadiel Rivera, or one of the young pitches win a job and surprise, this could be an interesting team. I am thinking Peralta and Garza will see this season as an opportunity for a pay day and will be very decent in 2017.

SP: Guerra, Davies, Peralta, Anderson, Milone, Nelson

RP: Garza (long), Torres, Barnes, Marinez, Knebel, Hader, Cravy

IF: Thames, Villar, Arcia, Shaw, Gennett,

OF: Braun, Broxton, Santana, Niewenhuis

IF/OF: Perez

C: Susac, Bandy

Brewers go with 6 man rotation (rotating 5th man) as versatility of Perez allows a 13 man staff. Milone and Nelson rotate between rotation and pen depending on opponents.

P.S. There is almost zero chance they don't deal away at least one starter, and add a veteran reliever before opening day and chances of Gennett being dealt are about 75% opening up a spot for one of Rivera, DeJesus or Sogard.

SP: Davies Guerra Nelson Peralta Anderson

RP: Knebal(cl) Marinez Barnes Torres Blazek Milone Cravy Garza(long relief)

C: Susac Pina

IF: Thames, Villar, Arcia, Shaw, Perez, Gennett

OF: Braun, Broxton, Santana, Kirk N

I think they go 8 man pen cause really how much would a 5th outfielder play? Also think a SP gets dealt and a reliever signed who is eventually our closer, and still think a good chance Braun and Scooter are dealt

From what we have today but hoping for some more roster genius from Stearns.

SP: Davies, Guerra, Nelson, Garza, Anderson

RP: Knebal(cl), Peralta, Marinez, Barnes, Torres, Jungmann, Milone, Cravy

IF: Thames, Villar, Arcia, Shaw, Perez, Gennett

OF: Braun, Broxton, Santana, Kirk N

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewers go with 6 man rotation (rotating 5th man) as versatility of Perez allows a 13 man staff. Milone and Nelson rotate between rotation and pen depending on opponents.

P.S. There is almost zero chance they don't deal away at least one starter, and add a veteran reliever before opening day and chances of Gennett being dealt are about 75% opening up a spot for one of Rivera, DeJesus or Sogard.

Nelson is in the rotation most probably; if not, he's at AAA/AA rotation. No way that they are going to mess with him in that tweener role. He's actually my odds on favorite for opening day starter if he does better than ok in spring training.

Hader is a starter at AAA/AA to start the season.

Scooter is gone, probably, agreed...

Garza is in the rotation, or he will be cut or traded for not much with Brewers picking up all of his salary. Do you remember September of 2015? Brewers aren't touching that again.

As the roster stands today:

SP: JrGuerra, ZDavies, JNelson, Garza, ChaseA

Minors: Hader, LOrtiz, Woodruff, TaylorWill, JLopez

RP: CTorres, Jhan, JBarnes, Knebel, Milone/Suter, Wily P, and either Jungmann/Cravy/Wilkerson

Minors: those that don't make it and DMagnifico

INF: Thames, Villar, Arcia, TShaw

Minors: IDiaz, GCooper, YRivera, Dubon, Erceg

OF: KBrox, Braun, DSantana, KirkN

Minors: LBrinson, BPhillips, RCordell

C: Susac, Jett

minors:JNott

Reserves: HPerez, Scooter, MReed/Elmore

As the roster stands today:

SP: JrGuerra, ZDavies, JNelson, Garza, ChaseA

Minors: Hader, LOrtiz, Woodruff, TaylorWill, JLopez

RP: CTorres, Jhan, JBarnes, Knebel, Milone/Suter, Wily P, and either Jungmann/Cravy/Wilkerson

Minors: those that don't make it and DMagnifico

INF: Thames, Villar, Arcia, TShaw

Minors: IDiaz, GCooper, YRivera, Dubon, Erceg

OF: KBrox, Braun, DSantana, KirkN

Minors: LBrinson, BPhillips, RCordell

C: Susac, Jett

minors:JNott

Reserves: HPerez, Scooter, MReed/Elmore

Elmore is no longer in the Brewer organization.

Nelson is in the rotation most probably; if not, he's at AAA/AA rotation. No way that they are going to mess with him in that tweener role. He's actually my odds on favorite for opening day starter if he does better than ok in spring training.

Garza is in the rotation, or he will be cut or traded for not much with Brewers picking up all of his salary. Do you remember September of 2015? Brewers aren't touching that again.

This thread is based on the roster of today. Certainly that will change. Nelson is the most likely of the starting candidates to be traded. Garza will be shunted to the pen to make room for guys who they control beyond this year, whether he likes it or not. If he walks away, that's a bonus. Hader needs to face major league hitters to continue his growth. Another year in Colorado or back at AAA will hurt his development more than temporarily transitioning to reliever in the big leagues. When a spot opens he'll start, but for now he's a nice arm for the pen that's short on them.

SP: Guerra, Nelson, Peralta, Davies and Anderson

RP: Garza, Knebel, Torres, Milone, Marinez, Barnes, Tores and Hader

C: Susac and Pina

1B: Thames

2B: Villar and Gennett

3B: Shaw and Perez

SS: Arcia

OF: Broxton, Braun, Santana, and Reed

Garza or Knebel will be the closer.

Hopefully Braun and Gennett are traded otherwise there will be a lot of options being used for injuries and ineffectiveness.

SP: Guerra, Davies, Garza, Peralta, Nelson

BP: Knebel, Torres, Marinez, Anderson, Milone, Barnes, Cravy

C: Pina & one of Susac/Bandy

IF: Thames, Villar, Arcia, Shaw, Gennett, Perez, Rivera

OF: Braun, Broxton, Santana, Nieuwenhuis

As for what I'd prefer to see...

- A few young guys pushing their way onto the team & getting playing time (hopefully not due to significant, depth-draining, or roster-mangling injuries)

- Jeffress reacquired from Texas

- Jungmann & Suter on the 25-man roster because... Garza & possibly Nelson or Anderson traded

- If not the above, then 1) Guerra traded (perhaps with another player) for a nice return, and 2) Nelson in AAA getting his act together

Also, while I'd hope for better results based on his early MLB production, I'm not convinced Milone makes this team (the ill-fated Todd Ritchie signing comes to mind).

2b Villar (s)

Cf Broxton ®

lf Braun ®

1b Thames (l)

rf Santiago ®

3b Shaw (l)

ss Arcia ®

c Bandy/Susac ®

Pitchers Guerra, Davies, Garza, Nelson, Peralta

Relief Anderson (some spot starts), Suter (l), Milone (l), Marinez, Torres (set up), Barnes, Knebel (closer)

Bench, Perez (super utility, 350-400 abs), Niuewy, Rivera, Susac, Gennett

I think you win 70 ish games with that roster. Would be more but I'd expect some bullpen losses.

As of today, I think that's the rotation. Some of us really want to send Peralta or Garza to the pen, but I just don't see that happening. At all.

Anderson probably goes to AAA so he can continue to be a SP, stay stretched out. Could do the same with Milone, but I think they would keep that extra LH pitcher in the pen.

The rest is pretty much set, as of today.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

As of today, I think that's the rotation. Some of us really want to send Peralta or Garza to the pen, but I just don't see that happening. At all.

I will add that regarding Garza, his potential value lies as as trade bait - and thus as a starting pitcher. If he can have a good first half, someone will likely want him not just for the rest of 2017, but for 2018 as well, when he has a relatively cheap $5M option (cheap if he's pitching well).

If Garza is a starting pitcher sitting around a 4.00 or lower ERA at the all-star break - and has stayed healthy - there will be a market for him - even if he's only a back end of the rotation type guy. $10-11M or so is not bad to pay to an averagish starting pitcher for a year and a half (assuming he'd still be owed $5-6M in 2017, plus the $5M option for 2018). But it's pretty pricey for an average relief pitcher.

So, if he pitches well, we can deal him for something and save a few million bucks. If not, you just release the guy at mid-season and plan on someone like Hader to take his spot in the rotation.

I'd go:

C: Susac

IF: Thames, Villar, Arcia, Shaw

OF: Braun, Broxton, Santana

Bench: Pina (Bandy to AAA), Perez, Gennett, Nieuwenhuis

Starters: Davies, Guerra, Peralta, Garza, Nelson

Relievers: Knebel, Torres, Barnes, Anderson, Milone, Marinez, Blazek, Scahill

Cravy, Suter and Jungmann start in AAA, barring injuries, but given how teams cycle through pitchers, be it for injuries, ineffectiveness or trades, I'd imagine all three will get an extended shot to solidify their spot in the bullpen by year's end (and I've got Jungmann as my darkhorse pick to be the 8th-inning guy by September).

C - Susac

1b - Thames

2b - Villar

SS - Arcia

3b - Shaw

LF - Braun

CF - Broxton

RF - Santana

Bench - Pina, Perez, Scooter, Kirk

SP - Guerra, Garza, Nelson, Davies, Peralta

RP - Chase, Barbosa, Milone, Magnifico, Marinez, Torres, Knebel, Barnes

I think there's definitely going to be 3+ moves still that will change some things, mainly in the rotation and pen. I think Scooter is traded too but they want a versatile lefty backup IF (i.e. Sogard type, not necessarily him but maybe) who can draw a walk, steal a base, play good enough defense at several spots)

This thread is based on the roster of today. Certainly that will change. Nelson is the most likely of the starting candidates to be traded. Garza will be shunted to the pen to make room for guys who they control beyond this year, whether he likes it or not. If he walks away, that's a bonus. Hader needs to face major league hitters to continue his growth. Another year in Colorado or back at AAA will hurt his development more than temporarily transitioning to reliever in the big leagues. When a spot opens he'll start, but for now he's a nice arm for the pen that's short on them.

Strongly, but respectfully, disagree. You make good points, though.

Nelson is least likely to be traded. He has underachieved and his trade value isn't great, just good, because of it.

Garza won't be going to the pen. Start, trade, or cut are the options (in that order).

Hader loses value as a reliever. They won't touch that this year or next, hopefully ever. No reason to now.... start his clock for middle relief work? We need to groom him for greatness (if this is 2011, though, I'd agree- I could see putting the best pen together, best talent in organization). Hopefully, he becomes a playoff starter at some point.

If restricted to the current roster I think Stearns is liberal with players that still have options in order to keep talent. The bullpen is a little rough and could lead to less wins than 2016.

SP: Guerra, Davies, Garza, Nelson, Peralta

RP: Knebel, Barnes, Torres, Milone, Marinez, Barnes, Scahill

C: Susac and Pina

1B: Thames

2B: Villar and Gennett

3B: Shaw and Perez

SS: Arcia, Rivera

OF: Broxton, Braun, Santana, Kirk N.

Optioned: Anderson, Blazek, Cravy, Hader, Houser (is not placed on 60 day DL but is still a candidate for outrighting to open up 40 man spot), Jungmann, Lopez, Magnifico, Suter, Williams for pitchers.

Bandy, Brinson, Cordell, Maverick, Reed for position players.

Opening day lineup guess:

1) Villar - 2B

2) Broxton - CF

3) Braun - LF

4) Santana - RF

5) Thames - 1B

6) Shaw - 3B

7) Susac - C

8) Arcia - SD

9) Guerra - P

Except you're going to break up the two LH bats in Thames and Shaw...

Good point. Flip either Thames and Santana or Shaw and Susac. Or both.

Based on how the 40man rosters sits now. I've gotta believe Perez is our #4 OF and Kirk N, our backup CF/Platoon if/when needed.

I wasn't aware the OF was this thin on the 40man. There is far less reason to trade Braun and just keep him. I think a Gennett trade happens for a 5th OF type more-so now than previous. Or is Brinson a fast callup?

I'll wait on more predicting because there are 25man roster concerns likely to be addressed

Based on how the 40man rosters sits now. I've gotta believe Perez is our #4 OF and Kirk N, our backup CF/Platoon if/when needed.

I wasn't aware the OF was this thin on the 40man. There is far less reason to trade Braun and just keep him. I think a Gennett trade happens for a 5th OF type more-so now than previous. Or is Brinson a fast callup?

I'll wait on more predicting because there are 25man roster concerns likely to be addressed

Brinson seems likely to come up in 2017 around when Arcia came up in 2016, or September at worst.

Any potential Braun trade should be based solely on whether or not it is the right deal for us, and should have nothing to do with what our OF depth looks like next year. Given that a Braun trade is a big picture rebuild item, we have plenty of OF prospects on the way in the near future, and 2017 won't be a contending season, it would be really shortsighted to pass on the right deal for Braun based on our 2017 outfield depth, IMO.

Besides, if it were a deal with the Dodgers that brought back Puig, the depth issue would be a moot point anyway.

Archived