Brewer Fanatic

Blake Parker claimed by Angels

Greenleaf1

Easy come, easy go. Stearns' approach to building AAA depth seems to be rather different than Melvin's: Grab whatever he can and see who can last long enough to get to AAA.

Neither better nor worse than Melvin's, but definitely much more fluid.

(edit: . . . . or at least seemingly willing to be much more fluid in the process than Melvin, who seemed to hang his hat on a small handful of fringe guys.)

Seems like Stearns likes to claim bottom of the 40 man roster types then attempts to sneak them through waivers after a few weeks. I guess it's one way to fill out the minors with better talent without using space on the 40 man roster.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Just like Geltz, another 40 man spot that could have been used to protect someone from the rule 5 but was used on 4A fodder they didn't even hold on to till spring training. Hindsight is they only lost Diaz but it still seems like Parker and Geltz are guys you can get off the wire at pretty much anytime, especially at the end of spring training, and not really worth a 40 man spot over some of the guys they could have protected.

Side note: Are these guys placed on waivers or how does this work in the offseason? You hear all the time about some player randomly being claimed on waivers during the offseason but never hear about them being placed on waivers.

No problem with it. Really you have WAY more investment in adding guys to protect from Rule 5 draft. Restricts 40-man pretty heavily if you add too many. Diaz for example is a good talent. No doubt. However, 1) good chance he'd be out of option by time he is ready 2) if you need a spot, you can't risk putting him through waivers.Rule 5 he must stay on 25 man all season.... Waivers, another team just needs to like arm enough to hide him on 40 man. That is way bigger risk than Rule 5 draft.

You add expendable guys like Parker that could possibly help now or add depth. If you need room you can try to pass them through waivers and hope they clear. If they don't, we loss nothing. Waiver guys aren't sexy usually but you can find great talent. Late bloomers or guys who just never got opportunity. Some have had injuries. Never know, always worth a try.

Storen stills needs to be signed, need spot for him, expendable waiver claims help with us landing our closer

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

This is a complete non story. These guys are all expendable, including Diaz. I'm sure they would have traded Diaz for the same amount of cash they got in the Cubs deal.

I highly doubt that. He has had injuries that slowed him down but that a really nice young arm. You don't give those away for pennies on the dollar.

I have no problem losing Diaz. My issue is using 40 man spots on older players who are barely major leaguers before the rule 5 draft and then later letting those guys go for nothing. Sure, you try and catch lightning in a bottle with these 25th man types but dozens of them litter the waiver wire and DFA limbo from February to September. Personally, I'd rather burn options on a guy who might help us in three years than risk losing them by rostering a guy who's an old mid inning reliever on a well below .500 team.

Same token though, it restricts you roster flexibility which is why it's tough to just fill 40 man with guys to protect. A guy is 2-3 years away, you are stuck with them that whole time otherwise you must pass them through waivers. Easier in my opinion to pass a guy through rule 5 draft with a chance to get player back if taken than to pass them through waivers. That under develop player either needs to stick on a 25 for full season or simply be added to a 40 man. A guy like Coulter probably would have tough time sticking on a 25 man but some team with less depth, he'd be a solid waiver pick up to throw on 40 man & let him develop.

The Brewers are going to have a lot of issues like Houston has with 40 man spots & rule 5 guys. Issue with strong & deep systems. Our system will be survival of the fittest.

I have no problem losing Diaz. My issue is using 40 man spots on older players who are barely major leaguers before the rule 5 draft and then later letting those guys go for nothing. Sure, you try and catch lightning in a bottle with these 25th man types but dozens of them litter the waiver wire and DFA limbo from February to September. Personally, I'd rather burn options on a guy who might help us in three years than risk losing them by rostering a guy who's an old mid inning reliever on a well below .500 team.

Well the 40 man roster is comprised of 25 major leaguers and at the very most 15 minir leaguers. Guys like Parker fall in the major league category and are always trying to improve the fringes of the majors if possible. Diaz falls under the category of 15 minor leaguers or even less when there are guys in the 15 day disabled list. The GM really has to pick his spots on which minor leaguers are on the 40 man. It makes complete sense to leave Diaz off considering he would have to remain on for three years and a number of other minor leaguers would have to be added during those three years ranked higher than Diaz.

• 2 weeks later...
Side note: Are these guys placed on waivers or how does this work in the offseason? You hear all the time about some player randomly being claimed on waivers during the offseason but never hear about them being placed on waivers.

We don't hear about players being placed on waivers because that information is never announced. If we get the info, it's because of a "reliable" leak or it's because something that's announced (like a DFA) might involve waivers.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 4 weeks later...
after blake parker was claimed by the angels, they designated him assignment and later outrighted him to the minor leagues. parker had the right to refuse the assignment, but it was announced yesterday that he will be a minor league non-roster invitee to the angels' big league camp this spring.

• 1 month later...

Archived