Brewer Fanatic

KC and Gordon

I know this has probably been discussed elsewhere so I apologize up front, but I really believe KC might pass on Gordon for the following reasons...

1) Cash...I have read that KC is not interested in paying top dollar

2) Mitch Maier- Didn't they convert him to 3B

3) Billy Butler- Isn't he also a 3B?

4) Teahen- Also, a 3B, and he was a mus in order for a trade to be completed last year, if I am not mistaken.

Would they be able to get Maybin cheaper? Seems they need just about everything except a 3B!!

EDIT: I now see Maier is playing OF. But, Butler is still at 3B and hitting .353 with 10 HR at.....HIGH DESERT!!

A good point Shelmark, and after looking through the stats, considering Butler just turned 19 in april, that .353 with great secondary averages is pretty stunning for his age. He is making a great number of errors, but that is something to consider if the Royals are looking to avoid a glut.

JP Howell, a 22 year old lefty pitcher is putting up some awesome stats too, considering they are playing at High Desert..

Point #1 is the only one that will matter when it comes to the Royals taking (or not taking) Gordon. What they already have in their system is not going to stop them from taking the best bat available.

Butler will eventually move back to 1B IMO.

Look for the Royals to take a Non-Boras college arm...

Cesar Carrillo or Ricky Romero? On pure merit, the only arms worthy of the #1 overall selection are Pelfrey & Hochevar, both Boras guys.

I would imagine they'd jump at Tulo! He's not a total reach, as he's considered top 5, and he looks to be able to move fast, which is what the Royals really need in their system right now. He also looks to be a fairly easy sign, at least as the #2 pick. Also, are Teahan or Butler projected to be better than Alex Gordon? If not Tulo, I'd imagine they'd go with Gordon, move Butler across the diamond, which is what they are already looking to do, and move one of the others when the two force the Royals' hand.

From today's draft blog:

Royals officials have let it be known the rumors that they would take a signability pick with the No. 2 overall selection?such as, for example, Texas A&M shortstop Cliff Pennington?are just rumors, not fact. Club officials say they're not under orders from ownership to shy away from top talent in favor of a slot-money pick. For now, Kansas City is focusing on Virginia high school shortstop Justin Upton, North Carolina prep outfielder Cameron Maybin and Nebraska third baseman Alex Gordon.

Also, additional info on the Nationals:

The Nationals are still owned by Major League Baseball and thus aren?t likely to set any bonus records with the No. 4 overall selection, but the increased revenue of their move to Washington will allow them to make signability less of a priority than it was their last few years in Montreal. The Nats don?t have a second- or third-round pick, giving them more to spend on the top selection, and they also were expanding their efforts in the international theater to fill in the gaps left by losing those picks for signing the left side of their infield, Vinny Castilla and Cristian Guzman.

Archived